Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-19, 09:55 AM  
Indy

OT: I'm super bummed about the downfall of recycling and global warming

I can't help but rant. I have read some horrible articles about recycling. America, as it turns out, is exceptionally bad at it and now most recycling ends up in a land fill or burned. They said our recycling is all dirty and you have to clean out the containers before depositing them and now China no longer wants any of it. I also read that only 9% of plastic is recycled. I get so angry at people who don't care about recycling and throws all of their refuse in the garbage anyway mainly because they can't be bothered.

I'm also super concerned about global warming. I mean, doesn't anybody care that the earth is dying. I know Trump doesn't. I just want to hear that somebody else out there cares about this? Anybody? This probably won't happen in my lifetime where we have to find some other way to live because the earth in uninhabitable but I worry about my nephews and niece's children.
Old 04-24-19, 10:52 AM  
suzannaerin

I agree with you 100%.

Sadly, I heard a local county is/might do away with recycling because it's "too expensive." My own county is no longer recycling glass (yes, the county that is giving tax breaks to the richest company in the world to relocate here and add to an already over populated area, displace lower income folks, etc.).
Old 04-24-19, 11:15 AM  
desderata

I agree about the recycling - I don't blame government so much as individuals. In the US, we over consume, leading to a lot of plastic packaging to dispose of. We buy online like mad, creating cardboard and plastic packaging to be recycled, in addition to the fuel consumption to get the items delivered to our doorstep. I think over consumption the largest issue.

My city offers curbside recycling for a very reasonable monthly fee. Every other week, you put your bin out at the sidewalk next to your garbage bin. As easy and convenient as can be. Our neighborhood is probably middle to upper middle class - only about 10% of us pay for the recycling service.

Now, though, it seems there is nowhere to recycle and municipalities are stuck with tons of recyclable materials with no where to go.
Old 04-24-19, 12:22 PM  
Lannette

We have free recycling but we have to take all of our garbage to the town landfill.

There is no pick up. Boy, does that make you aware of how much trash you produce.

We do try to start when we purchase to consider what will end up in the landfill. One of the reasons I make my own cleaning and laundry products is that the waste created is less and more biodegradable.

We do order online because we don’t have stores readily at hand. The closest mall is an almost 2 hour drive.

Fitness-wise I guess downloads and streaming are better than purchasing DVDs but I’m still bucking that trend.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-24-19, 12:32 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

This is bothering me too. Lately there has been more news about the problem.
Western countries foisting off our trash problem to Asian countries. We need to be responsible for our own stuff.
I have been thinking we need to;
Get companies/manufacturers to use less or eliminate plastic packaging.
Consume less or wisely! No more plastic water bottles. Carrying your own and refill.
This is another world issue we need address now.
Tricia
Old 04-24-19, 12:47 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
No more plastic water bottles. Carrying your own and refill.
I recently asked my massage clients to bring a water bottle with them. We have a refillable water filtration set up in our gym to avoid bottles.

I think we also have to realize that we may have to pay more if/when companies start using more sustainable packaging. We will sometimes choose a more expensive item if the packaging is more biodegradable.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-24-19, 01:06 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

More towns where I live are adopting ordinances that ban single use plastic bags, straws and takeout containers. Hopefully it's a start.

I can't stand how things come packaged now. I was cleaning up at the beach during a recent walk. One of the things I retrieved was packaging for a Bubble Wand. A big hard plastic shell and an inner plastic shell, just for a child's - plastic - toy.

When I take my beach cleaning walks I get very disheartened. Between what people leave behind and what washes up from boaters throwing things overboard. It makes me feel very hopeless for our planet.
Old 04-24-19, 01:08 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
... My city offers curbside recycling for a very reasonable monthly fee. Every other week, you put your bin out at the sidewalk next to your garbage bin. As easy and convenient as can be. Our neighborhood is probably middle to upper middle class - only about 10% of us pay for the recycling service. ...
Old 04-24-19, 01:31 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I have closed this thread since it is both off topic and falls into the political thread category.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Closed Thread