Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos

Old 07-31-03, 12:07 PM  
Sher

Question When will things improve?

Okay, I'm new to exercise, well not really, but new to sticking with it and it is so hard.

I need to lose weight I know that and I'm trying to work on having a healthier diet, but when does the endurance improve?

I'm doing Slim in 6 and I can't even get through Start it Up. I've been doing it for almost 2 weeks and it's just really hard for me. My muscles shake during plies and lunges(don't even get me started on those horrible things, I'm doing them the "easier" way). Then my heart rate increases because I'm out of shape and it makes it that much harder for me.

After the workout I feel completely useless! My muscles are "jellylike" and weak. Does anyone else experience this?

I like the workout for the most part and even though Debbie is evil and trying to kill me she does it in a pleasant way with a nice smile so I like her anyway. I just wonder if this was too much for me. I'd been doing the WATP for Abs 1 & 2 mile and that wasn't so bad it's the muscle toning parts that kill me.

Sher
Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 01:10 PM  
Megmoves

Just Move

Sher,

I feel your pain. I'm still sort of a beginner. But even when I can't get through a whole tape I know that the parts I did still help.

You didn't get to where you are overnight, and you wont turn it around overnight either. Just move a little at a time in the direction you want to go. Babysteps will get you there.

I'm not familiar with the program you're on, so I can't give you anything specific there. But I know I got healthier a little at a time. I now can get through a whole Pilates video, and that's a good step. I now make sure to eat enough protien, and that's a good step. I now drink more water and less soda, that's a really good step. There is no one magic pill, just building healthy habits. One day those tapes that make you feel like jelly, will make you feel strong!

I hope this helped some. Keep up the good work! You should be proud of yourself for deciding to become healthier!

Meg
Megmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 01:36 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Hang in there, it will get better. Two weeks is not a very long time. It probably took longer than two weeks to get out of shape. When I first started with Firm Vol 6 I couldn't finish the whole thing, so I would skip some sections. The next time I did the tape I would skip different sections. Over the course of about a month to 6 weeks, I was finally able to do the whole tape. You will begin to notice other positive changes too, like you are sleeping better, your mood is better, you will start to feel more energetic. Before you know it you will be finishing Start It Up and moving onto the next harder tape.

Oh yeah, and log in here to get encouragement. VF is great for that. YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 07-31-03, 01:48 PM  
Losin it
VF Supporter

Me too!

Hi Sher! Congrats on your commitment to getting fit! I just started about 3 months ago with LS WATP & WATP Abs for the 1st month.

I haven't done Sin6 but your post sounds a lot like me when I started doing BSS2. I had the jelly arms & legs and was really shaky afterward. Was ready to give up and go back to my sloth ways

My approach was to back off and do something a little less intense to build up my strength and cardio capability.

After a month & a half of Gilad, Tamilee IWTB, Tom Holland, Kathy Smith & Donna Richardson cardio, I went back to BSS2...it was easier and less traumatic. Still a tough workout but less of the jelly-shakies.

Your mileage may vary..this was just my experience. As the old saying goes..."How do u eat an elephant? One small bite at a time." Best of luck and don't forget VF is here for you!!

"Oh, you can't get out backwards. You've gotta go forwards to go back. Better press on."
Willy Wonka
Losin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 03:44 PM  
kksg13

I know how you feel. I started w/ leslie too. I worked my way thru to her 3 mile tape before I started working w/ the firm and boy was it a rude awakening. I think the first tape I did was upper body and I BARELY made it thru by the skin of my teeth.

The next tape I did was TT2 and what a nightmare! It took me 3-4 times each to get thru the tapes w/ out gasping for air and whining LOL...

Debbie's tapes are TOUGH, much tougher than leslie so the fact that you can do most of it is great. On the beachbody site debbie says do what you can and then stop or do something easier to modify. She always says march in place (knees up arms up) if you can't do the move.

You may have to alternate her workouts w/ alittle more intense cardio for a bit - maybe a three mile or a power 90 sweat tape would help you out. You will get there though, you are already doing great!!
kksg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 05:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

If you want encouragement on a regular basis, you might want to consider joining a check-in. Check-ins are one of the categories on the forum. There are a lot of them. You might be interested in the Beginners check-in? But, there are others. I just read through several of them for awhile, chose one that appealed to me, and just jumped in and introduced myself.

They all start at a certain point in the week (varies by check-in), people post their workouts for the week, and they chat about what's going on with them.

Just something to think about...

Laura
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 04:04 PM  
lisajane

I have the same problem with SIU

Hi, Sher,

SIU is a hard one to tackle if you've been sedentary. I had been doing pretty consistent cardio for about six weeks before I started up Sin6, but I'm also a weakling, so the first week it killed me. I totally overdid it and was in pain, pain, pain.

One thing that has helped me has been to do half moves throughout the workout--half lunges, plies, squats, etc. This has made it easier, and I no longer feel like a jellyfish when I'm done. I did this all last week and made it through OK, though my heart monitor said I was above my THR a lot.

This week, I've decided to do the full lunges, etc. BUT, I go at my own pace (i.e., I probably do two lunges for each of their three or four). This helps me to concentrate on the all-important form. AND, I only do the full excercise for the first set of each. During the rest, I do half moves or march in place, do knee-ups, etc., if my heart rate is too high.

These two modifications have prevented burning muscle soreness and that sickly weak feeling after a workout in which I overdo it.

I hope this helps.

And do join us in the beginner check-in. It's a fabulous group of ladies.

Best,

Lisa Jane
lisajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 06:43 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Good point, Lisa Jane. I think it's a smart idea to do the workout at your own pace and concentrate on form, rather than trying to keep up with the instructor. Even Debbie says to take breaks when you need to and if it's too hard, just march in place until you catch your breath then jump right back in.

Do you have a heart rate monitor? I think it's a great way to monitor your intensity. If your heart rate starts getting too high, then you can march in place until it drops a little, then start back in.

Stick with it, you can do it!!