Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-03, 04:59 PM  
Megmoves

Question The Firm for Shorties?

Hey everyone,

The new Firm package infomercial is interesting, I like the idea of the weighted bar that can be used to aid in balance. Sounds good for a stepper novice.

I'm only 5'2" and wonder if a 14 inch step would do me more harm than good. I'd like to know if any of you shorter firm fans have had any trouble with that. I'm looking for yays and nays before I decide if I'll buy.

Thanks!

Meg
Megmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 05:10 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I'm 5'2" and I use a 12" step. I have one of the original wooden step that the Firm used to sell years ago. I also sometimes use a Rubbermaid Roughneck toolbox/step stool which is about 13".
Old 07-27-03, 05:58 PM  
Megmoves

thanks

Thanks,

Being that my lower leg is only 14", I worry that it would be too aggravating on my knee. Maybe I'll look into the Toolbox/stepstool you mentioned.

Meg
Old 07-27-03, 06:06 PM  
doskymom

Meg,

Do you have a regular step bench? I use my step in place of the fanny lifter and it works just fine. I have enough extra risers to make it 14" if I want, but I can lower to 12, 10, 8, 6 or 4 - whatever I want. It works great.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 06:29 PM  
metalbarbie

I'm 5'1 1/2" and I have no problem whatsoever with the 14" step. I have been using it for 1 year now. But I had to work up to 14"...I started with the 8" step then slowly got up to 14". But now it feels quite comfortable.

However, if you have bad knees you can go shorter with the box.
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 07:36 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by doskymom
Meg,

Do you have a regular step bench? I use my step in place of the fanny lifter and it works just fine. I have enough extra risers to make it 14" if I want, but I can lower to 12, 10, 8, 6 or 4 - whatever I want. It works great.
Yep I have extra risers for my setp and I use that at 12" as well. I thin kyour height matter less than the length of your legs. Your leg should be at 90 degrees when your foot is at the top of the step. The way I figured it out when I bought my orginal wooden Firm step, is I lifted my knee up until it was at 90 degrees and then I had someone measure from the bottom of my foot down to the floor. Viola! 12" YMMV (Your measurement may vary)
Old 07-27-03, 07:58 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I'm also petite, and at first, found 14 inches tough, but now that my legs are stronger, I don't find it to be a problem.
To stay safe, I just do not use heavy weights for tall box climbs.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 08:07 PM  
stacydan

Tall box

I am 5' and when I first started the FIRM, I was pretty out of shape again, so I had to start on the 8" (and used my body bar for balance and NO weight) but as my fitness level improved, I was able to move up to the 14" with no problems. If you are able to go up slowly, that would be better (like in 2" increments) instead of going from 8" to 14" - that was pretty tough and I had to rest for several reps. But of course, everyone's body is different so if your knees bother you using the 14", then try 12".

Stacy
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 08:35 PM  
Megmoves

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretta S.
Yep I have extra risers for my setp and I use that at 12" as well. I thin kyour height matter less than the length of your legs. Your leg should be at 90 degrees when your foot is at the top of the step. The way I figured it out when I bought my orginal wooden Firm step, is I lifted my knee up until it was at 90 degrees and then I had someone measure from the bottom of my foot down to the floor. Viola! 12" YMMV (Your measurement may vary)
This is an excellent idea. I tried it and came out with 12.5 inches. I don't have a step, but this is a great guideline while shopping. Thanks everyone, who posted!

Meg
Old 07-27-03, 09:21 PM  
Shoe Diva

I'm 5'4" and for the longest time I used a 12" step because of bad knees. I've been taking glucosimine for about a year and just resently graduated to a 14' tall box. WOW!!! What a difference!! I can really tell it's working those buns hard!!! I've even noticed a more bubble appearance (no more pancake butt) and I haven't been using it that long. I have the novelnotion step and I love it.
Shoe Diva is offline   Reply With Quote