Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-22, 07:41 PM  
Helen

GO CLEDA!!! You are SO AWESOME!! Lili's right - you'll do it, you always do.

So I'll be using BOTH of your step counts, as well as my sister's, to get me moving.

Didn't kick of the year with much (though Alice was very happy) but was determined to get back into the gym yesterday (Monday), so:

Monday
26min, Tim Senesi - 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 01
48min, Les Mills Body Jam 23
30min dog walk
35min, Adriene Mishler - 30 days of Yoga 2015 - day 01 Ease Into It

Terrific Tuesday coming up!! For ALL of us
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 04:02 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - It looks like you are adding plenty of yoga to your day. Let us know how you like it.

1/4 - dog walk
30 Min. Walk & Run w/ Matty
20 Min. with Leslie

While I was working out, I was staring at my shelf of Firm DVDs and decided to redo my rotation that I just made up yesterday. I have added 1 Firm workout per week until I can't stand it. They usually have a blend of cardio & weights, so I should be able to add to my step count.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by LiliMagill; 01-05-22 at 08:25 AM. Reason: fixed the date
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 06:44 PM  
Helen

LILI
• I'll be watching to see how long you last with The Firm. Theire workouts are good, well-rounded, but the presentation - Stepford Wives, or Physical Culture... I can't take them for long. Only have a few
• I did get into a real habit doing yoga every day using the 30-day challenges. Don't recall what took me away from it. I do enjoy yoga, but there's still a little part of me that feels guilty for not doing cardio or weights - decades of a mindset that if one is not gasping or grunting, one isn't actually doing a workout. I know that's wrong, but there's an inkling of it still in my guilt-making mind.

So I continued with the yoga challenges - morning to get me going, with Tim - no dread to get up there, and evening with Adriene so I finish my day in a good mental place. Remember that DH is still away - it's been FOREVER !! and another week to go.

Tuesday 4th
- start the day IN the gym (after coffee), as the no-dread gets me UP there. Once I've been up there for the day, I'm more inclined to return.
33min, Tim Senesi - 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 02
after something otherwise productive, time for ME again
40min, Rebecca Small - Steppin' Out Tour - Intermediate Step
afternoon, putzed around, THOUGHT about a few things I could do... until someone put a paw on my knee -
60min, walk/play/training with Alice
evening, did some of the things I thought about earlier, until
33min, Adriene Mishler - 30 Days of Yoga 2015 - Day 02 Stretch & Soothe

I'm liking posting in the morning (well... MID-morning), with a report on the previous day - kind of sets the tone for THIS day to move on with.

Have a good one!

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-05-22, 06:12 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

So happy to see everyone!!!

It means a lot to come and see some posts and have everybody chatting. I do enjoy that. It's a good way to start my morning. Good cup of coffee and some exercise chat with old friends! So thank you.

Helen: I know! I don't know what I was thinking with joining a stepbet. You will still win weekly as I don't think a lot will change with me. If it goes by averages. I'm hoping that it will help to get me a little more active throughout the day (and sadly - at night because I tend to just sit.) That's my whole goal here. Of course, last night as I was having to get another 1,000 steps in my brain was like, "OK ?? Who's brilliant idea was this?????" lol

Lili: If I weren't already spread entirely too thin with my exercise goals, I would LOVE to incorporate a FIRM every week. Nothing works like the FIRM does. And it's sneaky. I don't even realize until BAM! I'm getting more defniition. AT least that's the way it was. Maybe after February 14th. Or really? Maybe after Feb. 1 when I finish the STRENGTH program. Keep talking it up. I don't mind the stepford wives look or the cheesiness. And I like the older original firms.

ON to me, me, and all me. I'm still working on getting the timing down for getting workouts in BEFORE work. It's not going as well as I had hoped. I am also working on getting to bed earlier. (which didn't work well on Monday night since I had to do my ride after work and that pushed off dinner and then bed by 2 hours. ) BUT ... I will try to take the time and look ahead so I can plan my week and get it all in. I will do this. I know I will. And be all the better for it.

1/3/2022: Started in the a.m. with the called for power zone ride. Set everything up (Phone with home fitness buddy - a timer for the intervals for the rides which I run simultaneously so I know EXACTLY what zone to be in in case I don't hear the shout out.) and then about 3 mins. into it BAM! the internet went down. I kept pedaling and after about 8 mins. decided it wasn't coming back, (and I couldn't get credit for the ride in the challenge) so I better do something else and then do the PZ ride that night after work. So, I hopped on my ellipitcal for 45 mins. while reading a book and got off to work. Luckily, the internet was up when I got home (Came back on sometime after 3 p.m. ) By the time I got home from work (7:30 p.m.) and did the called for Power Zone endurance ride 45 mins. with Denis - It was after 9 p.m. and then there was dinner. :: slapps forehead :: But the workout was done.**

1/4/2022: Got up all ready to do my strength workout. Had worked out the time only to discover the strength was 45 mins. not 30 mins. and with the warm up and cool down it would have been 65 mins. I just didn't have the time to do it. So instead: row 15 mins, 5 min. cool down and 30 mins. Sundays With Love (this will count as my extra credit, but not how I planned the day!) At this point in time though? I'll take whatever Ally Love can preach to me ha!

** About 2 p.m. my fitbit alerted me (I'm using an old zip) that the battery needed replacing. It was no longer recording steps. SAY WHAT???? So I had that on top of the no internet. eeee gads.

So today, I know the strength is 65 mins. I know the Power Zone ride is 45 mins. plus a cool down and stretch. I am allotting enough time to get it done. I WILL be better at my time mangement. Or I need to retire!?!? lol

We've had a lot of changes in our schedule due to Covid and other things. I never know what the day will bring. We've had 3 employees out sick, but we have managed to juggle and all of us have picked up extra duties and we're fortunate we have not had to close the office due to staffing issues. Some other places?? Not so lucky!!!! I continue to be very careful. !!!!

Ok, gotta run and hit the weights and the bike. WIll be a little tough next week and the last 3 weeks since I believe it ramps up to 4 strength workouts a week. My biggest complaint so far about them?? They use the same warm up and cool down. B-O-R-I-N-G. I can't do different because they are all connected within the program and get "unlocked" as I go. The badges are based on classes done (total accumulation) and I don't think I could get the badges without doing the called for classes. grumble, grumble. ONWARD .... I'll survive. And it's not that long. If this is my worst problem? I'm blessed.

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 09:43 PM  
Helen

Thursday (mid) morning.

Checking in for Wednesday, the 5th:
morning kick-off = 33min, Tim Senesi - 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 03
noonish must-do = 58min, Debbie Siebers - Firm It Up
afternoon = 45min, walk with Alice
evening round-up = 23min, Adriene Mishler - 30 Days of Yoga 2015 - Day 03 Forget What You Know

CLEDA
I feel your pain on the internet AND FitBit issues, but agreed - if they, & the badges/programs are your worst problems ? life is pretty good.

Already afternoon - started the post with first morning coffee, but was a bit side-tracked at the computer (mapping out my typically over-the-top expectations of myself ), then DH called - so did various chores whilst on the phone with him, then did a deep-dive into various discussions about the anniversary of the 6th, ... and finally I'm back to post it.

Oh - via that phone call with DH. He won't be back next Wednesday, but the following weekend instead - but that was an easy prediction to make.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-06-22, 11:17 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - From your posts, it sounds like the yoga is helping. You have certainly added a lot of movement into each day along with the yoga. Good for you! So sorry that hubby will be gone longer than promised. As for the 6th (today) I have been avoiding the news as much as possible. It was such a gut wrenching day for me last year.
Cleda - You have your work cut out for you, don't add anything else! Wait until one of the challenges is over. As for the Firm, I never last very long with them. I liked the originals, except for their length. I also like some of the newer ones, but I never remember which ones.

1/5 - dog walk
BSS Lower Body Sculpt II
a FitwithRick step workout on YT
15 Min. Stacking Stuffer Power Walk w/ JJ

The Firm I picked had very little cardio and was mostly floor work. I like floor work, so I liked the workout, but it didn't add to my step count. It also had a very thorough stretch, which I appreciate.

Old 01-06-22, 08:57 PM  
Helen

It's Friday - have to check when on holidays.

LILI
• I've never seen the older 'original' Firms. Learned of them here, but*earliest I own is a BSS set - and based on those I didn't pursue earlier versions - which would have been VHS posted from USA ($$$), but...
*insert a 45min side-track in here*
YouTube had quite a few of them (almost 2 dozen) so... they may be in my future.
• I haven't added a LOT of movement - my step counts are pretty tragic actually , as there has been much couch-sitting & knitting (so progress on Alice's Aran jumper is going great!) It's been my go-to for "I don't know what to do next" situation. Nothing is urgent. No deadlines.

Business for Thursday, 6th
morning kick-off: 33min, Tim Senesi - 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 04
noonish: putzed around with pushups, pullups, planks, ... got baseline numbers
afternoon: 45min walk with Alice - well... mostly her running & me standing tossing the ball (few steps involved)
evening finisher: 20min, Adriene Mishler - 30 Days of Yoga 2015 - Day 04 Yoga For Your Back

I'm booked in to get my booster today. No news about what will happen with school yet. Buddy's husband works at the government tax office, and they've all been told to work from home until further notice. I'm generally quite patient, but this is feeling endless.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-07-22, 08:14 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

I got behind again? I seriously do NOT know how that happens.

Lili: Not to worry - Even I know my limitations and won't be adding anything else in. I must say though: the firms had me in part of the best shape of my life back in the day. They are so sneaky with the weights and the cardio. I'd be moving along, thinking they weren't working, break out in a huge sweat about midway through and then cool down by the end. I did get quite a bit of definition too. I think I may revisit some of them (come mid-to end of February when all my current challenges are over!) thanks for mentioning them.

Helen: It always amazes me how many videos are now available via You Tube. Who would have thought ?? But we are talking back 30+ years ago when we were all doing the VHSs. Yikes .... Your steps (even when you say they are not good!) always blow mine out of the water, so just keep moving.

Ok, on to me. . . me ... and all me .....

1/5/2022: 45 minutes strength with warm up (10 mins.) and cool down (10 mins). 20 mins. run/walk on the tread with Jon Hosking (I liked him!)

1/6/2022: 45 mins. power zone challenge ride with Denis. 5 mins. Post Ride Stretch

My legs were super tired by night time so I sat on the couch with my air/compression boots and caught up on some tv shows. They are supposed to aid in quicker recovery and honestly? Feel pretty good this a.m., so I'm ready to tackle my strength and last power zone ride of the week.

I've mapped out week two for the challenge. (Power zone) this involves writing down the amount of time I need (and plus 10 minutes for 5 minutes of cooling down, 1 mins. intro and 4 mins. of futzing) .... then I mark what zones, how long, the Training Stress Score. So I am prepared mentally to get on with my week. I neglected to do that for week 1 and constantly felt behind and as mentioned previously - my timing was so off each morning. I am like a toddler with my routine and when my brain says I need to do "xyz" workout, I get cranky if I misjudged the time.

Soooooooooooo bring on week 2. It's also a head game for me. I loaded all the power zone workouts into my stack feature on Peloton. And they are only 4 hours and 30 minutes of cycling. So to be honest? If I fell behind, I could do them all in one day (don't want to nor should I) and I can easily double up. (Which we know I do frequently) So it's a matter of planning my strength workouts better. I can do this.

Ok, just babbling.
Gotta run. I have more stuff to catch up on. (yep! it's my day off and I'm glad cuz there's snow outside and I don't want to be having to drive to work in it.) Unfortunately, I won't be doing my pickleball session, but I'm home safe!!!!

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 10:22 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - I never think to look on YouTube for older workouts. I got rid of most of my original Firms because they were VHS. Back in the day, I did #4 the most because it was shorter, especially after I stopped doing the Dork Dance at the end. Thank goodness for VF posters for pointing out that you don't HAVE to do every last move. As I remember, you took your shoes off for the stretch, then put them back on for this pointless dance thing at the end. Strange!
Cleda - How nice that you don't have to brave the snow to go to work. I like having set plans for my workouts, I don't waste time trying to figure out what I should do or feel like doing.

1/6 - dog walk
LM Body Step 121, 30 minutes (it was tough, but doable, and they offer modifications!)
treadmill walk to finish my step count for the day (my goals are set at 12,200 and 14,900)

1/7 - shoveling, then our dog walk
30 Min. Walk & Run with Susie Chan
10 Min. Barre Strength w/ Hannah Corbin and my buns are already talking to me!

My middle son & DIL just bought a house and we are heading up there later to help them clean before they move their things in tomorrow.

Old 01-07-22, 06:30 PM  
Helen

Friday, 7th
morning kick-off 39min, Tim Senesi - 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 05
noonish before rain arrived 30min, dog walk
evening 17min, Adriene Mishler - 30 Days of Yoga 2015 - Day 05 Feel Alive & Flow

No 'main workout' for me yesterday, as mid-afternoon, got a call from DD. She's a COVID refugee. She went home to Sydney from Melbourne, leaving her sister & sis's BF awaiting PCR test, as they spent time with his Dad/Aunt who are now Pos. The one with me, is distancing within the house & we're both masking when on the same floor. Using separate bathrooms.

Also, one of her flatmates was returning to Sydney from holiday knowing she was positive, so DD scooted out of there before she arrived.

She's counting days from exposure in possible pos in Melb. to know the best time to be tested. Have RATs in the house & PCR locally.

My afternoon was rearranging my things from one bathroom to another, making up her bed, groceries to accommodate her, ...

LILI
• There are HOARDS of older workouts (The Firm, Kathy Smith, Leslie Sansone, Denise Austin, Gin Miller, ...) on YouTube, and also hoards of NEW workouts by people starting out building a following by offering free stuff - at ALL levels. Can be arduous when first looking, but try my channel, where I've made playlists, saved playlists, and have a subscribed list.
Here's >> my saved playlists <<
• Congratulations to your midDS /wife on the new house! They must be excited.
• Don't know what#4 is, but I'll keep an eye out for the 'Dork Dance' - I have heard of it. Have downloaded them, but it takes time to make them into a DVD, which I prefer.
• What are the TWO goals? one 12,200 & other 14,900?

CLEDA
Your step count is higher than mine right now (!!) Lili is on top, then my sister, you, me, Wands & Chrys. Everyone else is 'inactive' - using quotes as they may not acutually be, just not active with a FitBit.

BOTH OF YOU STAY SAFE IN THE SNOW!

Friday morning - I'd best get on with it - Tim Day 06 very shortly.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.