Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-21, 02:02 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Catching up from last week - on Sunday I did Pure Barre Flex 30 the first workout, plus 10 Minute Solution Pilates stretch for a 40 minute workout. I was so fatigued that I wanted to totally skip, but knew I wanted to do something, and the Pure Barre was really challenging which tells me yes I was definitely truly fatigued.

Today and tomorrow are planned rest days. I would usually try to get a lot of walking in today, and I probably SHOULD still try to do something, but my stress has a strangle hold on me. I finished up my new 12 week rotation planning that is supposed to start this week on Wednesday, but this is not the mind set I was hoping to be in starting out. I put a lot of thought into the rotation and already carefully organized my youtube videos and wrote everything on a wall calendar I bought for this purpose, so I am still going to do it, but was hoping I would start in a more optimal spot with my energy level, morale, diet, etc. But hopefully by the end of January when it's complete I'll feel stronger not just physically but emotionally too maybe.

Eventmom and Buzzer The crazy thing is that we are still in a totally virtual environment re: my work issues. So the argument was over the phone. I don't know if it would have been better or worse if in person to be honest. The argument was Wednesday at the end of the day, we didn't interact really on Thursday, and I was off on Friday and today so I haven't been able to experience more interaction to kind of feel like we "moved past it" you know? So I'm hoping that I'll feel much better this time next week. Just from the passage of time and cordial interactions. The stress has been all consuming. I don't remember the last time I felt so fatigued and unhappy.

Eventmom I really like the Callanetics Express workout with Lacey! It's probably my most used of the Lacey DVDs although I admit I haven't done any in a pretty long time.

Buzzer I don't think I have that Firm Basic workout! I think the only one I have is the Tracie Long one. It's possible I may have picked it up at some point but never opened it. I'm going to look. Is it intended to be more of a cardio with weights or a cardio/strength workout?
Old 11-02-21, 03:27 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

fell behind.

sunday - yoga basics, went to a horse show, came home and did 20 min ballet workout but it sort of overworked my quads
monday - melt method, a jacquelyn umoff stretch + meditation
today - alo moves workout barre

buzzer - It never bothered me when they describe their background exercisers, I always felt like they are trying to make the point that these are not watered down but what professionals use to cross train. Wow, that's a lot of trick or treating! sounds like you had a blast.

ebianco - omg, to have that type of problem virtually sucks. We are in person, my students mask because I sort of forced the issue. OK really does not care about covid. hope that things settle down. I'm not super into lacey but the express workout is balanced and fast. I decided she sounds like Annie Murphy's character alexis on ****t's creek.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 05:37 AM  
Buzzer

got a little behind...
Firm Vol 3 with Sandahl... DONE!
Classical Stretch back to Jamaica Abs and Posture... DONE!
Classical Stretch Back to Jamaica Lose a size... DONE!

So I was feeling energetic, and wanted to see if I could do a volume. I thought about 1, but for some reason Sandahl called to me. So I went with it. I loved it! I took a LOT of breaks, I used 12's as my heavy, and overall it took me way over an hour to complete. However, it was fun, I did it!, and I felt so good afterwards that I was able to do a volume! (even if it took a long time).

So I am somewhat back! I have been slamming Amazing Grass drinks like it's my job, and really trying to recover completely. I still have a little cough and overproduction of goobers, but it's getting better! My energy is coming back more too. Yesterday I was joking with LB and I actually had energy to joke!

Yesterday I did CS workouts. The two that stretch my torso a lot. The lose a size cracked me up because she does it in a room with a chaise lounge, and when she goes to the "floor" she goes to the chaise. It looks way too soft to be doing a good workout on, and always looks too comfortable. I remember this workout from when I did it before years ago, and it just made me laugh.

Before the Firm, during the warm up, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder. How? I don't know. I don't know if it's related to the CS workouts or what. So I couldn't do full pushups, and I couldn't do full chest presses. I did what I could, but it was frustrating. I also was afraid I would hurt it more and I would end up with a spasming muscle all day (which I didn't, luckily!!). I know I am tight in my chest, and CS stretches the chest for sure. I also know I am tight in my torso, which again it stretches a lot. So I am going to play it by ear. I like the stretching, and it may just be my body clicking into place. I am going to gage it as I go along.

We have had fog since Sunday. Like, heavy fog where you can barely see past the hood of the car. Yesterday it was still foggy but starting to clear up, today is supposed to be better. By Saturday? LB will be doing Westernaires in 70 degrees. I love fall, these weather swings crack me up though! I am glad it is falling on a day that she will be riding, instead of being bone chilling cold!

Today we have CC, I didn't sleep well, and LB needs to do black stripe testing for her blue belt tonight at 7pm. I will have a long day! I may need to take a nap though, I hope I can fit it in without sleeping through something important.

Eventmom: I always wanted to try the melt method. I just don't know if it will hold my attention! What do you think of it? Is it worth it?

Ebianco: What the heck! I'm sorry you haven't had a chance to feel like it's water under the bridge. I think that's the hardest part of an argument. I hope he feels the stress too. Hopefully at this point you have had another interaction and feel better about it. I get it though. Especially since it sounds like he is "above" you in "rank", or whatever it's called. That's hard because you feel like your job could be at risk also, and they usually know the other higher ups. At least that's how I'd feel.

So I was talking to another homeschool Mom yesterday, about how your whole adult like you identify with the job you do. When LB was born, it was so hard because I quit my job, and felt like I had no identity. Like my new identity was crap. It was the hardest thing I think I have ever gone through... new baby, no identity. However I was working harder and had more stress than I ever did in a "real" job. When people ask "what do you do?" "Stay at home with my kid" doesn't sound productive enough in this society. I was telling her I always figured I was dating jobs, not married to them so if something better came along, I would go with it. Now, here I am, married to my job. I won't find anything better, I won't get an offer and leave. So I think it's funny that I identified with the transient jobs, but the job I married I was uncomfortable with! Now I feel better, I not only stay home but I homeschool, so I feel like people see it more productively. However, this seriously is the craziest, busiest, longest hours, most stressful, most annoying, and best job I have ever had. I guess I was just reflecting on the job situations you both are in, with the stresses and craziness. I'm glad I don't have a lot of that for sure!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 11:09 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

jacqulyn umof pilates sculpt +20 min reps to the rhythm walk

so I was pretty sore from yesterday's workout so decided to do this one - it's not easy but not 12 minutes of abs either.

buzzer - it's hard to say what I think of melt. It's not a must have in my opinion. the dvds take forever - she spends so much time teaching and on form which is good but I just don't have the patience for it. I've memorized some of the sequences and do them on my own. It's useful and different but it hasn't cure my aches and pains - of course I don't do it regularly. It was pretty expensive to get the set. I still think about getting the hand and foot set but haven't wanted to spend the $. You must be feeling better to do Vol 3 - my first and still a favorite Firm!

hi ebianco!
Old 11-03-21, 12:06 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi All,

Today was my very first day of my new 12-week rotation! I hope I can move my arms tomorrow I decided to do the warm up from Jeanette Jenkins Bikini Body Bootcamp for all the upper body days, as she does tons of arm circles and I really feel warmed up in the upper body especially with this one. So when I say warm up, you'll know what I mean For all my lower body days I'm doing a quickie Tonique as the warm up. I found an arm focused 5 minute stretch for arm days and am going to find a 5 minute lower body stretch for leg days.

So this week is Wed-back/biceps/abs; Thurs-all lower; Fri-chest/tricep/shoulder/abs; Saturday-Total Body; Sunday-total body/cardio HIIT plus a long walk or run. Next week it will be the opposite on Wed, Thurs, Fri with LB/UB/LB.

I noticed that Caroline designs many of her upper body workouts as back/biceps or chest/tricep/shoulder so that's going to be my rotation for most of the next 12 weeks. I found some other youtube workouts that combine back/chest and then tricep/shoulder/bicep so I added a week or two of that in too for variety.

So today's workout was 5 minute warm up, 35 minutes from Caroline's EPIC III Muscle Building Back and Bicep workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xShZ...aCqjdn&index=1) I skipped the laying pullovers because my shoulder hates that move now but did all the other work. She designed everything in 40 second supersets with 40 seconds of work/40 seconds of work on a second exercise/40 minutes of rest. Repeat with different exercises. I used mostly 35# for one arm rows, 20# for double arm rows, 20# for renegade rows but I modified the plank due to my wrists that don't like it anymore, 15# for biceps but had to go down to 12#. I was worried that just back and biceps wasn't going to really get my heart rate up, but I was pretty sweaty by the end! My arms were pretty shaky after. The music was great and the time went by! Then I added on 5 minutes from a 10 Minute Solution ab workout (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyDM...Cqjdn&index=31). I have the DVD too but it was easy to just have it on hand in youtube so I could skip right to it. Then an upper body focused stretch (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbeI...Cqjdn&index=30) for an overall 50 minute workout. I expect to have serious DOMS tomorrow.

Eventmom and Buzzer There is an announcement coming out over the next couple of weeks talking about our return to the office, which I've heard will happen around March? I'm dreading the return to office not just because of the commute and covid and all that, but because of the interpersonal problems. I'm hoping things blow over by then...Buzzer yes he is "above" me in rank which adds so much stress, everything that you said exactly. This afternoon will be full week since the argument, we've been in (virtual) meetings together and been amicable but absolutely no one on one meetings again...so I still haven't felt that comfort of water under the bridge feel yet.

Buzzer There is a terrible stigma in society about stay at home moms. That's expected work that women are supposed to do on top of a "real" job. I am so glad that the stay at home mom role has become your forever job identity! The long hours, work that goes into it every day, is so much harder than any kind of office job. And it is more meaningful of course!!! And homeschooling on top of that! It is a huge accomplishment for sure.
Old 11-04-21, 08:39 AM  
Buzzer

The Firm Hare... DONE!

This is such a great workout for the legs and abs!!! Arms? not so much. But the legs and abs!!! It's great! I still feel like Anna did this and Tortoise to showcase the ballroom aerobics she came up with. I totally adore Ballroom Aerobics, but I always have felt like it was out of place in these workouts. I don't know why. However, the legs and abs!! I wish my arms felt more worked out though!

LB had a little cough on Tuesday, nothing I was worried about. Yesterday after my workout, she was awake and DH was in the house. I walked in and he told me her cough sounded croupy. So I listened to it... yup. Croupy cough. She said she felt fine otherwise, however I emailed the CC tutor and director and told them we wouldn't be there. Ugh! Another missed day!

She was fine on energy, I made sure of that by watching her and we watched Magic School Bus episodes in the morning. She seemed pretty fine, so we did some school. She would do really good, then sit down and snuggle for a while. Then do really good, then snuggle. So it was hard to tell. I ended up taking her to the testing, and she passed! I was so happy! She was too. When they gave her her black stripe, she did this little jumping dance, it was adorable. The thing with croup though is that the cough is better during the day, so you feel great, then at night it's really bad. True to form, last night was bad

I went out in the middle of the night and found the humidifier and put it near her. She slept next to me on the floor (she's way too big to sleep with us anymore! We only have a queen bed!) and after the humidifier and some more medicine she is sleeping good now. She doesn't sound like she's choking on phlegm and coughing. I hate croup! Luckily I remember reading she outgrows it, and it for sure isn't as bad as it was when she was a baby. I used to have to take her to get steroid shots to get her breathing without wheezing. Now she just has the cough.

She has violin and a fall party to go to today, I think she should be OK for both however I am just going to have to gage it after she wakes up!! Long night for sure.

Ebianco: Wow! A week and you haven't chatted with him. I guess part of me is all "that's good! It's more likely to fizzle away with time!" another part of me is "Oh come on! Just get it out of the way!! Ugh!" HA! I'm sure you feel the same. Your split sounds great! I know you have all your workouts picked out, however if you have STS it almost sounds like an STS rotation. I loved STS the first time I did it, but I tried to go back and it wasn't as much fun. Maybe you could use some STS workouts in your rotation if you wake up and just dont wanna on a workout!

I don't remember what workout it was, but there were a ton of arm rotations in it. It actually was really hard! I don't know if that's because I'm not used to doing that move so much or if I'm just not conditioned for that, but it was tough! So that warm up made me go "oof"! HA!
I'm interested to hear about your rotation over the next few months though!

I agree with the stigma of being a stay at home. We have had to make some sacrifices to do it, I have to say even sacrificing having a job was a huge sacrifice. Society definitely identifies usefulness with making money! I know I did. I still do sometimes.

I remember volunteering at the House Rabbit Society years ago (like 1999!) and I had to quit because I was going to go to massage school. I had volunteered there for 3 years, only missing one shift but I got that covered. most of the other volunteers would not show up/not get coverage, or do their job and leave, but I was always there, and took time a lot after my duties to stay for a few hours and give the bunnies attention. So when I left, I felt horrible. It was hard to tell her. I knew she knew how I went above and beyond, and I felt like I was a big part in the HRS. I would help more when she was out of town, I was involved with other things... I just loved the HRS. So when I had to tell her I was leaving... I even remember where I was standing and where she was, even what bunny was near me!! She said "Oh well. Some other volunteer will come and take your place." and that was that.

I think that was the day I realized, I am expendable at jobs. It doesn't matter how much you do beyond your job, you are replaceable. Sure enough, I went back a few years later and I was barely noticed. Everyone was new, and didn't even know who I was. It was definitely my wake up moment!

Anyhow, I know everyone at this job will remember me forever!!

Eventmom: That's good to know about the melt method. I think I didn't get it becuase of the price, but it's good to know how much time she spends instructing. That's a deal breaker for me!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-04-21, 08:59 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

Today was my first leg day of the new rotation. It wasn't TOO bad LOL. So far from yesterday and today I have to say the time isn't FLYING but it does go by quickly, I feel very accomplished like I worked very hard, yet there's not a dread factor (yet?! worried that soreness will catch up with me), music is great, I am enjoying doing something totally different, and I am hoping I eventually get into that zen-like mode and the time will go by faster.

So today was a Tonique youtube 10 minute all standing that I love, for my warm up. Then Caroline EPIC III Summit Leg Day (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIv...0Y3S6yKfJFgH7W) then a leg stretch (I found this one and it was straight forward(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGC...FgH7W&index=29) for a total 57 minute workout.

Tomorrow back to upper body with chest/tricep and a little shoulder but I'm mostly resting my shoulders thanks to my on and off achy shoulder. Definitely I am not going to lift heavy with my shoulder. I suspect my shoulder will get hit just fine with all the chest work (there will be pushups). Then on Saturday I'll make a judgement call if I want to try a total body Caroline or go back to Cathe? Then HIIT on Sunday with a long walk (or walk/run if I'm feeling up to it but I doubt that LOL).

My biceps specifically are extremely sore from yesterday. My back has a little DOMS but not too bad! I slept fantastic last night. I could barely keep my eyes open after 8 pm. Even for me that is early. I still didn't get to sleep until after 9 pm but I slept really good.

My biceps were complaining today from having to hold up weights LOL. I used 35# as my one heavy weight for sumo squats, then one 15# for single leg bulgarian lunges, one 20# for a lunge/deadlift combo, and my legs were shaky. There was even some bodyweight work too. Today's workout was a pyramid of 20 seconds/40 sec/60 sec/40 sec/20 sec then move to the next exercise. I don't love pyramid work as much but I like that I can see all her workouts will be a little different. My legs were shaky today so I expect soreness tomorrow.

Buzzer I'm sorry to hear LB has a croup cough!! I know how hard a cough is at night, that is truly the worst. It's like you can't sleep which makes you feel even more sick and exhausted during the day. ((hugs)) to LB.

I totally agree with you about Hare/Tortoise with the ballroom feeling totally out of place. You have "regular" Firm music for all the strength parts then this bizarre ballroom music and choreography for cardio. They definitely make the workouts unique but it absolutely feels out of place. Maybe if I think of Hare as legs and abs and not so much a total body, I will like it better. I do enjoy the "finale" cardio step when it comes up in my Firm Cardio Step Mix DVD. And I have that Hips, Buns, and Thighs (or whatever) compilation that has all the table work, bridge, abs, etc. and I really like that too. So I know I like a lot of pieces of the workout, I just can't seem to fall in love with the actual whole DVD.

Yes it is hard about the work argument because like you said, we haven't cleared the air which is okay as a fizzle away with time. But then I worry that not clearing the air is causing a rift that will be harder to heal over later. For now I think it is just better to try to be utmost friendly and professional and hope it blows over.

That is funny about STS. I only have the first cycle and could never hold myself to a rotation. But you're right! It is probably very similar. I am definitely not a heavy strength split kind of person usually. I just thought it would be interesting to do something different. I am really enjoying the Caroline productions, great music and timer and all the bells and whistles (for a free workout it's amazing she could totally charge $$$).

It is really a shame about the stigma of staying at home. What's more important than raising your family? Even other jobs relating to kids like teachers are seen as not that important. Sacrificing your job to be a stay at home mom IS a huge sacrifice! That is something LB will really appreciate when she's older (if she doesn't already).

Eventmom waves!
Old 11-04-21, 11:34 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

jacquelyn umof boga body leg sculpt (some yoga mixed with barre style moves)
20 min TA dance cardio 1.

ebianco - wow on work from home, I actually think it's pretty great you've been able to do so for so long. OU moved us back into the classroom - cannot mandate masks or vaccinations due to state law prohibiting. As faculty I work from home when I'm not teaching. Those workouts look pretty good I'm just not up for heavy lifting.

buzzer - sorry about LB but glad she is doing well enough to do some of her activities. yeah melt is pretty pricey. Overall I'm glad I have it but it's not a must have.
Old 11-05-21, 09:45 AM  
Buzzer

The Firm Upper Body... DONE!

This was the old one. it's about 40 minutes and mostly parts from the first 6 volumes. It was killer! The only thing I didn't feel it hit hard was the biceps. However, every other muscle group got pounded! Today my chest and triceps are sore. A LOT of pushups! I did the first set on my fanny lifter, second on the floor on my knees, and third on my weight bench. All three sets were hard! Plus they did some floor flies and pullovers. For the triceps, they pretty much killed them! HA! It was an excellent workout. After feeling like my upper body got nothing in Hare, this hit all the neglected muscles perfectly.

When they did any squats or plies though, I skipped them. My legs were hammered the previous day.

Today I am taking a rest day. We went to the fall party last night, which ended up being a kids playdate and parents chatting. Usually, when someone invites you over for dinner and a party, the food is cooked already and people bring something to share. We got there, and she was just starting to make the food. So the majority of the party was the kids running around while the Moms helped cook the food, which was a big disaster. Too many people in the kitchen, too much going on. So the first almost 2 hours was just spent in the kitchen trying to get things cooked. The rest of the party was eating and chatting. The kids played hard though!

So all the activities she had planned for the kids to do, they didn't do. I guess LB get to hang out with her friends though which she needed. The whole having to cook everything was annoying though! I stayed out of it as much as I could, just delegating myself as a stirrer of things when they needed to be stirred. I left the chopping and creating more to the other ladies.

We ended up being there from 5 until about 9:30. Not because I wanted to be there that late, but because by the time we actually got to eating, it was about 6:45/7:00pm. I planned to leave at 8, however by dinner it actually was an enjoyable party.

Last night I slept like a champ again, almost 8 hours!! So since I slept in, I am taking the day off. I have sore muscles and could probably stretch, but I would rather just take off. I don't feel like anything I do would actually be productive.

Ebianco: I can't fall in love with Hare either. I enjoyed it for the ballroom aerobics before, because I thought that was unique and fun. However neither Hare nor Tortoise was anything I ever reached for regularly. I haven't done either in a long time, and now I remember why. They aren't that great. I know they are OOP and in demand, and I would want it too if I didn't have them, however just like Tough Tape that is so in demand, it isn't a great workout! Not Anna's best work. I don't remember the last time I did tortoise, and I am considering doing it next workout, however I know I wasn't overly impressed with that one either.

I am jealous of your screaming biceps though!

LB's croup cough is getting better. Last night I was only awakened one time by her cough. Otherwise she was pretty quiet. I don't know if that's becuase it's getting better, or because I put the humidifier in the room before we left for the party to get the room nice and full of humidity, plus had it on all night, or if she is getting better. Either way, I am calling it better!!

Getting into the homeschooling community has been a blessing for me on the feeling useful front. I was kinda stuck between two worlds... I knew we would homeschool, however I felt like I was not homeschooling until LB was 5 so I felt like I couldn't get into that group. So I joined just Mom and Tots groups, which ended up being catty and frustrating. I had trouble relating to most of the people because they were young or just kinda detached from their kids, which was weird. A lot of the Moms were just biding their time until they could pass their kids onto someone else. Now that I am in the homeschool groups, I wish I would have just done it. Being with people who understand where you are coming from and why you do what you do makes all the difference. Plus for some reason the homeschooling groups seem to be older Moms, so I am not hanging out with 23 year olds anymore. That makes a huge difference too in the cattiness!!

Eventmom; Thanks for the info on Melt! I think that's why I never did it was the cost. It just seemed so high and I wasn't sure I would do it enough to justify the cost.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-05-21, 10:52 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

Today was a toughie because my biceps are still killing me from Wednesday but I was working upper body again. Today was my second upper body day focusing on chest, shoulders, and triceps. I ended up doing about half of the shoulder work with lighter weights (haven't not been sure if I was going to skip it entirely but my shoulder seemed okay). I used 15# for chest and 10# and 8# for triceps. I probably could have gone heavier but we'll see how I feel tomorrow. I woke up today thinking WOW my legs don't feel sore at all! And then I sat on the toilet LOL. They are very stiff but not killing me like my arms are.

So this morning it was warm up plus first cardio of Jeanette Jenkins Boot Camp DVD (10 minutes), Caroline EPIC III Upper Body Destroyer (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P176...aCqjdn&index=2) which turned out to be 40 minutes with the brief shoulders I skipped, then another 5 minute segment from the 10 minute solution abs and 5 minute upper body stretch for a total 60 minute workout.

Eventmom I feel extremely lucky that I will have basically had two whole YEARS of telework, if we go back in March like it's estimated to be. And hopefully it can continue to be a hybrid but there are no clear answers on that yet.

Buzzer I love Firm Upper Body! I used to do that workout EVERY Sunday and my arms NEVER looked better, but that was when I was at my absolute leanest in my 20s. After the Upper Body (VHS at the time) I would then run for 10 miles and THEN bike on top of that. So yes it was a lot of other leaning out work, but still, I had some happening arms which I have to thank Firm for!

It took me a really long time to warm up to Tortoise. I had it on VHS and was never into it. I got it on DVD because #musthaveallfirm and never even opened it, then a couple of years ago I did it and it just really spoke to me. I used it every single week for a couple of months at least until I got into Cathe. I still really like it. It is definitely an acquired taste though.

I'm glad you have a good homeschooling community!! It is wonderful to have a support group. I am go glad to have VF and more specifically you and Eventmom!