Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-22, 12:26 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
This is in our closet and holds all my workout DVDs. In looking at my history I bought it for $39.99 back in 2017. It’s sturdy and just deep enough for the DVDs so doesn’t stick out from the wall too much.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Maxs.../dp/B00005OT5X
I LOVE this thing!! I like the fact that it's not too deep. I have a lot of my DVDs stored in a traditional bookshelf and it's much deeper than this unit. I actually have VHS tapes stored behind the DVDs so they are at the front of the shelves and not pushed back. I might have to invest in this.
Old 01-27-22, 01:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

large plastic see-through containers (rubbermaid, sterlite, Iris, etc) are what i would recommend.

you can store the DVDs for your current rotation in the dresser and all others in the see through container.

i have an excel spreadsheet that lists the workouts and which container they're in. this way, i can filter by instructor, title, length, etc. to locate the one I need.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 03:25 PM  
bubbles76

I have the same setup as sillygirl, only I would not recommend it. It is not as sturdy as I would like. I have carpeted floors in the room this shelf was in, so maybe that makes a difference? I'm looking for another system. I'm thinking that, due to the sheer number of workouts I have (even if I downsized I know I'd have at least 300 workouts with my Cathes, Firms, and Margaret Richard workouts) I may have to go to a case logic type system. I worry about the dvds getting scratched though.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 03:35 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I have the same setup as sillygirl, only I would not recommend it. It is not as sturdy as I would like. I have carpeted floors in the room this shelf was in, so maybe that makes a difference? I'm looking for another system. I'm thinking that, due to the sheer number of workouts I have (even if I downsized I know I'd have at least 300 workouts with my Cathes, Firms, and Margaret Richard workouts) I may have to go to a case logic type system. I worry about the dvds getting scratched though.
Thanks, Bubbles. I have carpet in the living room where I keep my DVDs. Some of the storage units I have are a little tippy too. I have pieces of cardboard under the feet to tip them ever so slightly towards the wall so if they decide to tip over, they hopefully, will tip that way and not spill endlessly into the living room.
Old 01-27-22, 05:34 PM  
kat999

Good points about carpet, everyone! And the possibility of discs getting scratched is one I hadn't considered with a sleeve system. I actually keep my FIRM Express discs in a small sleeve and they actually have gotten scratched over the years. Hmm.
Old 01-28-22, 01:49 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Oh, my gosh, my inner nerd LOVES the library-ness of your system!!!!
Aww thanks! With so many discs, I could never decide HOW to arrange them - by title, instructor, style, release date, ....
If you have Microsoft Access, my database/log is here:
LINK via OneDrive
LINK via Google Drive

The BIG and SMALL refer to the size of the calendar/log onscreen. For a desktop PC, use the BIG one, for a laptop, use the SMALL.

If you do, and have any questions - don't hesitate. There's a bit of a setup at the start - to enter dob, height, ... for automatic calculations that use age, gender, ... (like BMR)
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 01:55 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
.... And the possibility of discs getting scratched is one I hadn't considered with a sleeve system. I actually keep my FIRM Express discs in a small sleeve and they actually have gotten scratched over the years. Hmm.
Haven't had scratching problems using sleevess, but I am very careful (my precious!) when removing/replacing, BUT have ALL of them backed up as an .iso file on computer, so can reburn replacements if anything happens.

ISO files retain the full functionality of the original DVD (sound options, chapter, menus, premixes, ...) not JUST the video content, like ripping to MP4 would do.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 05:23 AM  
Tugger31

I have used something like this and it works pretty well. Not sure how many dvds you have or what your residual closet space is like.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Hangi...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 05:37 AM  
janice

recommended software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Haven't had scratching problems using sleevess, but I am very careful (my precious!) when removing/replacing, BUT have ALL of them backed up as an .iso file on computer, so can reburn replacements if anything happens.

ISO files retain the full functionality of the original DVD (sound options, chapter, menus, premixes, ...) not JUST the video content, like ripping to MP4 would do.

Hi Helen
I am thinking of ripping my dvds but can't decide on what software to use for a Windows laptop - one that still has a dvd drive!
Thank you for your input!

Janice
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 09:05 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have used something like this and it works pretty well. Not sure how many dvds you have or what your residual closet space is like.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Hangi...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Oh now that's an interesting idea! But I would need a lot of those. I wonder if the dvds would fall out easily.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, storage