Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-28-20, 02:55 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi! Great to see everyone posting!

Today, I did an hour on the treadmill, Ab Jam with Chalene Johnson, AM Yoga with Rodney Yee, and part of a Gaiam meditation DVD. I was feeling particularly bad today, but felt much better after my workout.

Reading about people here doing yoga and meditation inspired me. It has never been as important to get centered, reflect, destress, and be in the present moment, as it is right now.

Hi Rhonda! Great to see you here! I am always in awe of early risers who start their day with a workout. I would like to know more about your Peloton treadmill workouts.

Hi Laura! Welcome to the check-in! It's great that you've been able to keep up with your yoga. It's good that you finally had some snow and sun. It's funny how several of us started Cathe's Perfect 30 series with Upper Body, Bonus Core and Stretch. Cathe went very heavy in that workout!

Hi Alta! I'm so happy you joined the check-in! You are very inspiring. I really like your rotation! You've always been very consistent. I like the dollar idea. I tried it once, but ended up spending it .

Pat and Paula, I agree that it's really nice to get to know VFers better at the check-in.

Annette, I agree with your review of Cathe's Upper Body and stretch. I was sore the day after.

Yogapam, I like your avatar. Your workouts are great, and you get in a lot of steps! It's really hard for me to get in a lot of steps, unless I go on the treadmill.

Paula, your dance workouts sound like fun. Have you tried Zumba? There are lots of Zumba instructors on Youtube. I bought some of the Zumba DVD's, and enjoy them.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 09:16 AM  
Garrie A.

Sunday's workout:
-Karen Voight Body Sculpt class on Zoom

Monday:
-TAUGHT Functionally Fit and Cardio classes
-Cathe's Perfect Flow: Yoga Strength & Flexibility followed by Mobility Basics

Karen Voight is now offering live online classes through Zoom. I heard about them through an interview on Muscle Mixes Music's Facebook page. They are pay by the class, and she is offering two types: Core & Stretch on Mondays and Fridays; Body Sculpt on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. Body Sculpt was 90 minutes but it flew by. It started with a long warm-up then moved into light weight work. This part reminded me of her Great Weighted Workout, but with a modern feel to it. I used 3 lbs. but dropped to 2s. She fried my shoulders and upper back, then picked up heavier weights (I switched between 5s and 8s) for upper/lower combo moves. Some of the moves were kettlebell inspired. My heart rate was in a moderate range during the standing work. After this we moved to the floor for some tough core work. My entire core region was sore the next day. She did an interesting tricep push-up that also incorporated a superman variation. We finished with some hamstring and glute work on all 4s then did a nice, long stretch. I really enjoyed the class. Karen was excellent as always, and since some people had their cameras on, she was able to see you and correct your form in real time. I got both a little starstruck and startled at the same time when she corrected me at one point. "Garrie, watch your ribcage. You have a tendency on this exercise to protrude it out when you stand back up."

Monday I tried both Perfect Flow workouts. Yoga Strength & Flexibility was more strength-based than flexibility. Mobility Basics seemed to be more of an extended stretch. I also enjoyed the music for both workouts. The yoga had some nice calming piano music. Both workouts would be great as an add-on to a shorter workout, or by themselves (or together) for an active rest day.

I'll be back in a minute with personals.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 11:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Alta - I like your weekly routine; it seems really balanced. I should make more of an effort to workout everyday. I get sidetracked easily with home projects then run out of energy. I'm not a morning exerciser so will have to figure out another way.
I do miss days here and there. And, some days it will be just a short stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
How often do people like to check-in? Do you only post once you've worked out? Whenever you feel like typing?
Check in when you feel the urge. Abbe has started this "no stress, no worries" check-in to help us through. Post as much or little as you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
A drawback living here is the risk of forest fires. I am 15 miles from the current wildfires
It is scary. We were on an Evacuation Warning for several weeks. At night, we could see the flames on a ridge only miles from here. The air has been bad. It started to improve and now there are new giant fires far south of us. The smoke blows up here. The fire season is year-round anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
... "Garrie, watch your ribcage. You have a tendency on this exercise to protrude it out when you stand back up."
Wow, a personal form-pointer from Karen Voight! She is such a professional. I'm glad she is doing classes!

On Tuesday, I managed to work out earlier in the day. I did Cathe's Pyramid Pump" upper body for the first time. It was just OK. I prefer her older Pyramid workouts.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 11:22 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Garrie, thanks for mentioning Karen Voight’s classes! I will check those out. As much as I don’t like Zoom, a live class with fitness icon like her, sounds fantastic. How cool that she was watching you and commented!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 12:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Wow, that’s a productive day Abbe!

Garrie - I’m definitely going to check out Karen’s zoom offerings!

I’m having a leisurely morning, need to get moving! I just finished a long video call with a dear friend who lives far away. Video calls have been a life saver for me!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 02:50 PM  
DD546

Hi everyone! It seems like everyone is having crazy weather this year on top of everything else. Ice and snow in October, and we have a hurricane barreling towards Louisiana for the 7th time this season.

I worked out Monday with a nice 3 mile walk with DH. Later I did Classical Stretch 1202 and the arms part of 15 minute Workouts for Dummies with Gay Gasper. I got that DVD based on a recommendation on VF, and it's a nice workout. I've been trying to incorporate something else on days when I walk. The temptation for me is to to walk and call that good for the rest of the day. I need the stretching and strength to be more consistent. Yesterday I planned to workout, but I had vertigo that lasted all day, so that nixed the workout.

This morning was another 3 mile walk in the park with DH. I got a new to me Crunch DVD Cardio Dance Blast; it looked like it could be damaged, so I checked it out to make sure it played correctly. I ended up doing about 15 minutes. It's pretty good. I don't like complex choreography, and the instructor was good about breaking it down. There were also several dances, so it wasn't monotonous. I'm going to do some stretching later.

Garrie, how cool that you got to work out with Karen Voight via Zoom. I really like her workouts and her no nonsense style. When I was more actively instructing aerobics, I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few instructors at workshops I attended. I think the most "famous" ones I met were Gin Miller, Kari Anderson, and Johnny G.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 04:28 PM  
Hsim

Happy Wednesday!
I have been trying out some of the workouts from Cathe's new series Perfect 30. On Saturday I did a mishmosh premix of the upper and lower body routines. On Monday night I did the Low Impact HIIT followed by the about 20 minutes of the Mobility workout and for my short rest day workout on Tuesday I did the upper and lower body bonuses. Sunday was my running day and I usually take a walk everyday.
I'm liking all the new workouts from Cathe with the exception of the mobility one. And this was the one I was most excited about ordering. Oh well, you never can tell. I think with this one I will just use some of the individual exercises from the chapter menu as add ons after my main workout.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 05:30 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Two days in a row! Woohoo!

Today was Perfect 30 Lower Body. The heaviest weight I used was 12 lbs because I want to be able to move tomorrow. Hopefully, as (if) I become more consistent I can go a bit heavier. The stretch after the workout was disappointing but I suppose the bonus stretch is intended to suffice. I just did my own thing since I need to concentrate on hip stretches.

I installed a meditation app on my phone and did a short 10 minute session after stretching. Very beginner; it covered different breathing techniques.

HSIM- I haven't done Cathe's mobility one yet. Will try for tomorrow. I really want to like it; fingers crossed.

Garrie - How cool is that to workout with Karen Voight?! I'd be way too intimidated to know she could see me!

DD546 - Your comment about walking and calling it day is me too. Most times I will stretch afterward.

Abbe - Wow. That's great you did so much considering you weren't feeling well.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 07:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~7 km trail & oceanfront walk
~Core & stretch class on Band
~Steps: 11,511

Getting outside fir a long walk & some fresh sea air felt great! I’m thankful for cooperative weather!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 12:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I usually post the workouts from the previous day.

Wednesday: 2 miles from Leslie Sansone's 5 Day Slim Down.

Leslie is a lot calmer and a bit less chatty when she is by herself.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check in, check-in, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, new check-in, pandemic, social fitnessing