Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-03-22, 12:05 PM  
AnMrsDe

Wecome to May, everyone!

Helen, I'm guessing LWR= Lucy Wyndham Read ?? (Found that on Donna's check-in and is an assumption?). I'm anxious to find out about her workouts too.//Whoa-71 min. of Low Max?? I didn't even realize it has that much material on the DVD!! WTG! Are your legs fried today?

Elsie, when is moving day?

bex, great job on your practices! Edge/Stamina are hard!! Bring on the big guns for your workout partner, LOL!

Liz, Again, good to see you! I'd love to read your comments about Caroline's workouts, so please post when you can! Great job on the 45#'s!!! Impressive!

Does anyone else who is familiar with Caroline love her laying tricep move where she holds one DB horizontally with her palms to the ceiling? I've never seen that positioning before and love that they are wrist friendly for me!

Hoping everyone has a great month!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 06:42 PM  
Helen

AMD
• For Caroline's tricep move you mention - holding the weight that way would model the use of a barbell for skull crushers, but would allow it to be done one-handed.
• Thank you for the LWR clarification.
• Many of the Hardcore workouts are long. Muscle Max = 69, High Step Challenge = 73, Kick Max = 73, Gym Style Legs = 69
Low Max was unweighted, and the bodyweight leg work was primarily in the blasts, so didn't last long - no not fried, but I did sleep in the next morning.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 07:57 PM  
Dontmindthemess

Helen Are you working your way through all of Cathe’s series? What a fun idea. Like a walk down memory lane!

AMD I also find Caroline’s shoulder crushers interesting, starts out like a skull crusher but it’s like you tap those dumbbells to your shoulder. I liked that variation too.

Elsie I know your move is soon! I hope everything goes smoothly!!

Liz I’m loving the slow pace of Iron. Great job with the 45s!! I have trouble holding my 35s for deadlifts!

Bex I’m sure you’re doing great with the tougher practices. Hope life gets back to normal soon for you!

Waves to everyone!!!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 10:43 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
AMD
• For Caroline's tricep move you mention - holding the weight that way would model the use of a barbell for skull crushers, but would allow it to be done one-handed.
• Thank you for the LWR clarification.
• Many of the Hardcore workouts are long. Muscle Max = 69, High Step Challenge = 73, Kick Max = 73, Gym Style Legs = 69
Low Max was unweighted, and the bodyweight leg work was primarily in the blasts, so didn't last long - no not fried, but I did sleep in the next morning.
Yes, the BB skull crushers are similar, but since the lever of one DB is so much shorter than the lever of the BB, my wrist/hand really appreciates being able to hold on to the DB vs. the BB, if that makes sense! I feel I can go heavier with a DB than with the BB too. Also Caroline has her wrists crossed while holding the DB, IIRC? That's another reason why I love it - so different!

Haha, that should tell you that I haven't done those older Cathe workouts ever in their entirety, LOL! Sometimes I just can't get past the dated factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
AMD I also find Caroline’s shoulder crushers interesting, starts out like a skull crusher but it’s like you tap those dumbbells to your shoulder. I liked that variation too.

Jane
Do you know what Caroline calls the tricep move that I love? ETA: Going back and viewing an UB w/o, it looks like she just calls it "Laying Overhead Triceps?" I definitely prefer those to her Tate Press - is that what you're referring to above? Unfortunately, my shoulder did not like those and felt a twinge right away and had to change it to skull crushers. But, that said, I do click more with her UB exercises than her LB exercises that I sometimes find very knee unfriendly at times. Glad we have so many instructors that do rock our world!!

Well, hallelujah - next week the forecast is in the 80's!!! I'm so tired of this cold, rainy Spring weather!!

~~~WAVES to all~~~
Old 05-05-22, 10:10 AM  
firmiewannabe

I'm a bit delayed in starting my logging of workouts this month. Goal - finding correct mix for me of strength, cardio and stretching.

2. walk
3. FIRM BSS3 Total Muscle Shaping, Tamilee stretch sitting and floor
4. Leslie walk to the hits Party Songs, Jessica Smith WS3 total stretch
6. walk
7. walk
8. walk
9. walk
10. walk, Cathe Lite Upper Stacked, Jessica Smith WS3 1 mile and 15 min stretch
11. Leslie walk to the hits Party Songs, Tamilee standing stretch
12. Cathe Lite Upper Stacked
13. walk
14. walk
15. walk
16. walk, Michelle Dozois One on One cardio, upper and lower strength, Tamilee floor stretch
17. walk
18. Leslie Walk to the Hits Party Songs, Tamilee standing stretch
19. walk
21. walk
22. walk, Jessica Smith Total Body Strength Training 31 mins, Jessica Total Stretch 1&3
23. walk, Jessica Smith 5k fast walk, Jessica Smith Total Stretch Deep Stretch
24. walk, Jessica Smith Total Body Circuit 48 mins, JS Stretch Relax dvd
25. Jessica Smith Total Body Strength Training 48 mins, 5k steady walk, stretch Rise
27. hike
28. hike
29. hike
31. Cathe Lite Stacked Upper, Jessica Smith total bands, Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 01:02 AM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
[U]LIZEMA
Thanks for your thoughts on Caroline's Iron series. Must admit, the Epics gave me dread factor. I've downloaded them all, but never actually done one.
I wanted to DL all of Caroline's WO, as well, but, there are SO many of them! I wish that there was a way to BULK DL. The thought of doing them singly at this point is making me shake my head "no". At least she includes the breakdowns in her description so I can, at the very least, make them into paper WOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
Wecome to May, everyone!
Liz, Again, good to see you! I'd love to read your comments about Caroline's workouts, so please post when you can! Great job on the 45#'s!!! Impressive!
It is SO good to be back!! You all are already keeping me in check and pushing myself to do SOMETHING.

I impressed myself, actually. LOL Well, more SURPRISED myself than anything.
We chatted way back in January about my grip failing me; my hands just can't last as long as my LB, and holding these 45s sure was challenging! Then I remembered that I had bought lifting straps (TWO pairs!) about FIVE years ago that I had never used. So, I busted them out to give them a whirl. Sadly, they were not the savior I had hoped for. They helped a LITTLE, but I still had to keep resting my grip. I've never used straps before, so maybe I am using them wrong? I'll keep trying with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
Liz I’m loving the slow pace of Iron. Great job with the 45s!! I have trouble holding my 35s for deadlifts!
I know!! I was struggling with my 35s and 40s, too. Honestly, I don't know how I managed with the 45s. I'll always try to challenge myself, but, I may drop down just slightly next time to spare my poor grip.
And, yes, I am LOVING the IRON Series. It's unlike any way I have ever worked out before. The change in style and their length are not only such an attractive change of pace but JUST what I need right now.

I went back through the past few months of JTW to catch myself up somewhat and saw that you started IRON long before me. I was reading through your comments on the series, and it seems like we have similar thoughts regarding them. As I make my way through the series, I am going to reference your notes before doing my next IRON WO.

Are these your first Caroline's or had you done any of her WOs prior to IRON?

(BTW, how's your Dad doing? When last I was here, he was on the mend. Just wanted to see how he is presently.)
Old 05-06-22, 10:26 AM  
AnMrsDe

Liz, thanks for mentioning about the lifting straps! I've heard of them but never really researched them. I saw a clip of them being used on Amazon...and one dude lifting a 150# weight using them!! Holy!

I'm wondering if they would help with an arthritic, painful hand or just help to get better grips? Of course, there's the issue of adding yet another strap around my wrist...I have a HRM watch on the one wrist, + lifting gloves with the wrist support, + sometimes my 2# wrist weights around the wrist + the lifting strap...heck, I wouldn't even need any weights - my wrists/hands have all the resistance right there, LOLOLOL!! Seriously, though, thanks for mentioning them and definitely something to check into. It's great to read your comments from your workouts again!

Hope everyone has a great Mother's Day weekend (and maybe a warmer weekend?)
Old 05-06-22, 07:28 PM  
Dontmindthemess

Liz Before Iron I have only dabbled in Caroline’s workouts. I attempted Epic Heat last year, they about 30 minutes too, but I was working overnights then and Heat is tough! They just wore me out, especially the HiiT days. If I attempt an Epic rotation I’ll probably do my own HiiT instead of Caroline’s. Just too much dread. My husband has been doing a lot of Caroline workouts over the past year and he finished Endgame a few weeks ago. He doesn’t do her HiiT workouts, just the weight ones and he spins a few times a week. He’s doing Iron now.

I rarely lift as heavy as Caroline, especially her upper body work. I’m really impressed that you’re matching her weights!!! I know what you mean about how much stronger your legs are than your hands. I’ve been wearing a 12 lb vest for the quad workouts just so I can hold lighter dumbbells. Wish I could do that with deadlifts. Grips do look like they would help, hopefully they’ll end up working for you. I have a couple more weeks of Iron then I’ll probably do a week or two of bodyweight and cardio while I decide what to do next. I was thinking about trying Endgame because it’s 45 minutes, I’m really not into 1 hr long strength workouts anymore.

My dad is doing great now, no long term symptoms. Thanks for asking. He came over yesterday and we took a ride to peek at the house my sister is buying since it’s a couple of miles away from me. Then he had dinner with my husband and I. He goes to a senior social center in the mornings, always drama, it actually sounds like high school!

Happy Mother’s Day everyone!!! We’re having a very wet and chilly weekend here!!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 01:43 AM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Liz, thanks for mentioning about the lifting straps! [...] I'm wondering if they would help with an arthritic, painful hand or just help to get better grips? Of course, there's the issue of adding yet another strap around my wrist...I have a HRM watch on the one wrist, + lifting gloves with the wrist support, + sometimes my 2# wrist weights around the wrist + the lifting strap...heck, I wouldn't even need any weights - my wrists/hands have all the resistance right there, LOLOLOL!!
Seriously, though, thanks for mentioning them and definitely something to check into. It's great to read your comments from your workouts again!
Well, yes, it sounds like it might be a sight but I think they could be beneficial to you during LB WOs, at least. I tried them again today, using them right from the start and not busting them out just when my grip was already fatigued, and I found them to be much more helpful. I wasn't using the 45s as much as during the other WO, though, so that may have been a factor in this run being more successful with them. I'll try them again for another lengthy LB WO and report back.

As far as my comments, . In January, I was trying to be very concise and succinct in my WO posts, but, this month, I am just letting loose.
I'm sure you can believe it, but I am even more verbose in my personal notes.
Thank you, as always, for being such a kind spirit.

Quote:
May, 2022
5 - ETA: While cleaning out some drawers, I found the booklet that came with my Weider machine…here all these years, I thought each weight plate was 10# and the small plate on top was 5#. Turns out the smaller plate is 6.5# and the other 6 plates are 12.5# each!! I’ve been lifting heavier than I thought with pull-downs, LOL! I changed the total poundage above. Love nice surprises like that!! (And…that I’m not as much of a weakling as I thought, haha!)
As IF!! I am continuously impressed by, not only your WOs (and your weight selections), but your consistency with them and dedication to your fitness.
Those are the best kinds of surprises, though, my favorite is when I realize I still have extra cals in my day to splurge on.

Is your Mom still enjoying the ALF? She must be pretty settled by now.
Old 05-07-22, 01:44 AM  
LizEMA

I had to post my replies in piece meal and all spread out (from Friday to Sunday) to avoid the 500 error.
Sorry for clogging up the board, everyone!

Tags
just the workouts