Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-22, 11:46 AM  
donnamp

Other "sets" like Gilad Xcelerate?

Hi,

I pulled out one of the Xcelerate workouts today and was humbled by it - realizing I need to put in some more time w/ strength training!

I see the recommended "rotation" for Xcelerate is to do Volumes 1 -4, take a day off, and then repeat the series.

While I see the benefits of repetition, I also am wondering if my attention span could take repeating the same 4 workouts for a set period of time (I'm thinking a month).

Are there any other sets similar to Xcelerate? It doesn't have to be a Gilad set - but I'm looking at something that includes some cardio, some strength, etc. done in a 30-45 min timeframe that I can rotate with Xcelerate. I'm thinking something like this: Xcelerate Volumes 1 - 4, day off, New Set, day off, Xcelerate Volumes 1-4, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-22, 07:16 PM  
laurajhawk

I haven't done Xcelerate but I love LOVE Gilad's Total Body Sculpt Plus workouts. There are 3 DVDs each with 2 workouts, and you can just rotate through them doing one a day, because they're total body sculpt with some cardio. They are about 45 minutes each. (There's also a zillion Total Body Sculpt DVDs, with 22-minute workouts.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-22, 08:20 PM  
dnna

I really love 21 day fix rotation ( back when I could) and also her second set.I got good results and loved the pilates fix, because that was easy for me, and dirty 30 day too!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-22, 09:23 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I prefer Gilad's Total Body Sculpt Plus workouts to the Xcelerate series. I also like the three set Ultimate Body Sculpt series, too. From his Lord of the Abs (silly name) series, I liked the medicine ball workout for fun factor.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-22, 10:15 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Are there any other sets similar to Xcelerate? It doesn't have to be a Gilad set - but I'm looking at something that includes some cardio, some strength, etc. done in a 30-45 min timeframe that I can rotate with Xcelerate.
I don't have Xcelerate, but I was interested in the set when it came out, so I've seen the clips and read the descriptions. The workouts include:

Vol 1: Burn It Off (Aerobics)
Vol 2: Tone Every Inch (Total Body Toning)
Vol 3: Best Butt & Abs (Lower Body & Abs Toning)
Vol 4: Strength in Motion (Aerobics & Toning, Total Body)

You could create your own "set" of workouts by choosing a favorite instructor, then choosing similar workouts (1 aerobics, 1 toning, 1 lower body/abs, 1 aero/tone). Here are a few suggestions:

Jane Fonda's Prime Time workouts
There are 4-5 DVDs you could cycle through:
Trim, Tone, & Flex
Fit & Strong
Firm & Burn
Walkout
AM/PM Yoga
BeFiT has several segments of these workouts on YouTube.

Prevention Fitnesss Systems DVDs with Chris Freytag
You could try these 4 workouts:
3-2-1 Workout & Belly, Butt, & Thighs
Personal Training
Walk Yourself Fit/Ultimate Walking Workout

Chris Freytag also has the ACE HIIT series DVD, which has 4 workouts you could do in one week.
ACE HIIT Series with Chris Freytag
2 Lazy 4 Gym has reviews of some of Chris Freytag's DVDs.

Brazil Butt Lift
I think BBL could work if you do each workout once a week.

Kathy Smith Super Slimdown Circuit
Add another Kathy Smith DVD or two to alternate with.

Michelle Dozois has several DVDs you could combine into a "set":
You Best Body Circuit
Rockin' Body Cardio Jam
Slim, Strong, & Sexy Body Sculpt
(You may need to find these used.)

Tracie Long has her Focus Series, which are 30 minutes long.

There's the 10 Minute Solution DVDs. You could pick a cardio, toning, abs, lower body, and aerobics & toning DVD, then choose 3-4 segments per workout. I like the Butt Lift workout; it includes a bonus abs section, so it could work for the lower body/abs workout.

Jillian Michaels has 30 Day Shred (3 workouts) and Ripped in 30 (4 workouts). If you have either, you could do each workout once a week. Or if you have any of The Biggest Loser DVDs, they usually have shorter workouts you can mix and match.
The Biggest Loser The Workout Vol 2

I'm sure you could do something similar with Jessica Smith's or Kelly Coffey-Meyer's workouts, though I didn't look up any specific examples. They usually have multiple workout options on their DVDs, too, so you could have more variety.

Some of Cathe's series may work also and have premix options to shorten or vary the options.
Cathe Fit Split Series
Cathe 4-Day Split

I hope these gave you some ideas.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 08:34 AM  
donnamp

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

Laura - I have the Total Body Sculpt Plus and Total Body workouts - the bonus on those is the scenery. The Xcelerate set is odd for Gilad b/c it is indoors!

Venus -those are some great ideas. I found a boxed set - in my collection - it is w/ Andrea Metcalf - and has three workouts - cardio/strength/Pilates - all 5 min segments that you could string together, that may be another one to consider mixing in. Actually it would be fun to come up w/ my own "set" to alternate and maybe alternate that "set" throughout the rotation to keep from getting bored. So, basically I would do the Xcelerate set weekly, but then vary the other "set" use...hmmm...

Thanks!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 10:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Tony Horton's Power Half Hour series titled "Total Body Collection" has 5, 30 minute segments for Thighs, Buns, Arms, Stretch, Abs (abs includes other body parts too) all on 1 DVD for convenient use.

Jessica Smith's Walk Strong sets (WS1, WS2, WS3) all have 30-min workouts.

KCM 30MTF series is built around 30-min segments.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 12:42 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post

I'm sure you could do something similar with Jessica Smith's or Kelly Coffey-Meyer's workouts, though I didn't look up any specific examples. They usually have multiple workout options on their DVDs, too, so you could have more variety.
I immediately thought of KCM, if you wanted to sub out Gilad for any of these. First, Kelly's boxing routines aren't as boring as Gilad's, IMO. But, if you're looking for basic cardio, Gilad works. I like Kelly's Start Here or Your Best Body and I have alternated both of these when coming back to strength training. And, I think there's also a boxing routine on YBB, but she has many choices.

I also thought of Angie Miller's Bedroom Body workout. Despite the name, this one is another good workout for strength workouts that aren't the same old thing.

I didn't suggest Jessica because Donna's probably done so much Jessica, in the past.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-22, 09:05 AM  
fanofladyvols

Venus what you suggested here:
Quote:
You could create your own "set" of workouts by choosing a favorite instructor, then choosing similar workouts (1 aerobics, 1 toning, 1 lower body/abs, 1 aero/tone).
is basically what I do with rotations to make them suit me. I follow the theme of the creator and plug in subs. When it's Cathe, it may even be a lowered intensity or shorter premix.

Donna I hope you found some workouts to make that work for you. Cathe's Perfect pump for the strength day would work and I would think many Firms (esp. the Pink titles) would work the 4th workout. Have fun with it!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gilad, gilad xcelerate