Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-22, 01:59 PM  
SamS

How does Pure Barre compare to B3 and P57?

I enjoy barre workouts. I am limiting longer barre workouts to 1-2x a week so I have time for traditional weight lifting.

When I go to a barre studio it is usually Barre3. There is a studio a short walk from where I live. I like it for the positive vibe, yoga influence, and flowing cardio but it isn't my favorite brand of barre.

Physique 57 DVDs were my introduction to barre. I used to do them a lot (3-4 times a week). I liked the workouts and had good fitness results but found the over-the-top appearance cueing annoying. At some point, I moved on and didn't do a P57 workout for a few years. Over the holidays, I took a livestream P57 class and loved it. They seem to have dropped the OTT appearance cuing. However, I don't live near a P57 studio and like to take live in-person classes once a week or so.

I just realized that there is a Pure Barre about 15 minutes (walking) from my DH's apartment (he is temporarily working out of state and I visit him often). I haven't tried Pure Barre yet. Does anyone know how it compares to Barre3 and Physique 57?
SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-22, 07:26 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I went regularly to a Pure Barre studio before the pandemic. It's the only franchise near to me. I had to wear earplugs b/c they play music loud -- but it didn't bother anyone else. I felt it was tough without trying to kill me. I didn't buy the T-shirt that said "your workout is my warmup" but that's exactly how I felt about barre3, way too easy, not even a good stretch. I have the barre3 DVDs and have been to their studios. Although a check-in buddy says they've changed by adding weights and cardio; but that's not barre. I've never been to a P57 studio, but I have the DVDs and have done them although not recently. From that experience, I'd say that P57 is harder than Pure Barre.

Most if not all Pure Barre studios offer the first class free, so you can try it & see if it suits you. Just make an appointment ahead of time. Since you have experienced barre classes, I suggest you skip the "Foundation" class, which has too much talking b/t moves.

Have fun and a great workout!
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-22, 12:47 PM  
SamS

Thanks Monterey Vidiot!

I wouldn't describe Barre3 as a warmup, but I started going after they added in the cardio and weights. I am not sure how much Lotte Berk influenced barre is involved in B3, I think it is more of a fusion. When I started going I didn't think it was as tough as P57, but when I returned to it after over a year without doing any barre I had sore muscles for days. I think it is easy to modify for more or less intensity. I've seen similar "cardio" in flowing fusion exercises, I used to take a class from a retired dancer that was the teacher's own fusion of classic pilates, ballet barre and modern dance. The Barre3 cardio kind of reminds me of a less dancey version of the modern dance elements in that class.

Hopefully the noise issue you experienced at Pure Barre was studio specific. I will give it a try.
SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-22, 01:15 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

SamS, let us know how it goes!
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre reviews, barre3, p57, physique 57, pure barre