Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-21, 02:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I can't. Lousy insurance and lousy doctors. I am pretty sure I know what it is and think RICE is the best treatment. It's just going to be hard because I really need to run for my sanity. Life just keeps getting more stressful (on top of everything else, my MIL was just diagnosed with cancer yesterday) and running really helps my mental state.

Erica
I’m so sorry Erica!

I’m sorry your medical situation is not good! I don’t know how old you are, but if you’re in your 50s or beyond & running a lot, I’d want to rule out a stress fracture possibly related to bone density. That happened to a friend of mine, she was running daily & developed foot pain which was from a stress fracture.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 02:32 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I’m so sorry Erica!

I’m sorry your medical situation is not good! I don’t know how old you are, but if you’re in your 50s or beyond & running a lot, I’d want to rule out a stress fracture possibly related to bone density. That happened to a friend of mine, she was running daily & developed foot pain which was from a stress fracture.
Thank you.

I'll be 54 in September and I do run a lot. I thought about a stress fracture, but think it is posterior tibial tendonitis - that matches the location of the pain and swelling, but some of the characteristics of the injury don't match.

Our medical situation is a nightmare. I gave up on trying to get any health care because I got so tired of wasting time and money only to get bad advice and even be misdiagnosed.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 03:44 PM  
wendug

Quote:
I think you jinxed me. I gave it a few days to heal and the swelling had gone down significantly so I ran this morning. It felt fine for the first 2/3 of the run and then - BAM - something happened and I couldn't take a step without pain. Had to make it home - fortunately, only about 1/2 mile.

Won't be running now for a long time - it's much worse with pain and swelling. Just what I was afraid of happening. Hindsight - I should have taken more time off.

Erica
Erica- I'm so sorry you hurt your foot! I injured my side recently and took several days off to heal. I have gone back to working out, but I avoid any workouts that really work/twist my core. I know what you mean about working out to help with stress. That is my main reason for exercising! I would recommend finding upper body workouts you can do or maybe some chair workouts to get something in. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 05-25-21, 03:58 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Erica- I'm so sorry you hurt your foot! I injured my side recently and took several days off to heal. I have gone back to working out, but I avoid any workouts that really work/twist my core. I know what you mean about working out to help with stress. That is my main reason for exercising! I would recommend finding upper body workouts you can do or maybe some chair workouts to get something in. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Thank you. I've gone through lots of recoveries from injuries and surgeries, so I'm pretty good on what to do. It's just resisting the urge to get back to my normal workouts too soon that's the problem. Running gives me endorphins that no other workout can give me.

I'm glad you have found ways to keep exercising and hope you are fully recovered soon!

Erica
Old 05-25-21, 04:30 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm really hoping you recover soon! We've got so many similar medical mysteries between us, and I'm just like you, as soon as my knee felt remotely able to do something again on it, I went and it reinjured it. Back to just simple walking and stretching for me, which oddly I've really started to enjoy. I think I've finally learned my lesson this time.

I'm so sorry about your MIL. My MIL had breast cancer about 20 years ago, and she's fine now. I'll be thinking of your family.

Hugs to you, and I hope this setback doesn't set you back too far.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 05:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm really hoping you recover soon! We've got so many similar medical mysteries between us, and I'm just like you, as soon as my knee felt remotely able to do something again on it, I went and it reinjured it. Back to just simple walking and stretching for me, which oddly I've really started to enjoy. I think I've finally learned my lesson this time.

I'm so sorry about your MIL. My MIL had breast cancer about 20 years ago, and she's fine now. I'll be thinking of your family.

Hugs to you, and I hope this setback doesn't set you back too far.
We do have too much in common!

I think my MIL will be okay after treatment. But she's become such a burden since my FIL died last year and this is going to be very hard. I don't know what we're going to do with her after major surgery and if she has chemo. We had no relationship with her because she was awful to us until she was alone and needed us. Now she calls constantly with her wants/needs/demands. It's been very difficult.

Erica
Old 05-25-21, 07:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
We do have too much in common!

I think my MIL will be okay after treatment. But she's become such a burden since my FIL died last year and this is going to be very hard. I don't know what we're going to do with her after major surgery and if she has chemo. We had no relationship with her because she was awful to us until she was alone and needed us. Now she calls constantly with her wants/needs/demands. It's been very difficult.

Erica
That sounds so stressful, and I'm so very sorry that you're dealing with all of this in addition to all of your other health issues. I also have family members who have acted like that, and the daily mental stress from it can be overwhelming. I'll be thinking of you, I sure hope you can find some respite in your day to replace running. I certainly understand the void and missed endorphins when it suddenly has to stop and it wasn't your choice! Many hugs.
Old 05-25-21, 07:34 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
That sounds so stressful, and I'm so very sorry that you're dealing with all of this in addition to all of your other health issues. I also have family members who have acted like that, and the daily mental stress from it can be overwhelming. I'll be thinking of you, I sure hope you can find some respite in your day to replace running. I certainly understand the void and missed endorphins when it suddenly has to stop and it wasn't your choice! Many hugs.
Thank you, this is so sweet of you and the hugs and empathy are very much appreciated.

I think your postponed endocrinologist appt. is coming up next month. I hope it goes well. Post an update if you can.

Erica
Old 05-26-21, 06:01 AM  
horsemom2

On my painful days (peripheral neuropathy), I do chair dancing/walking.
I just play a favorite dance or walk video with loud music while sitting on a chair and tweak the moves to be more vigorous.
Sometimes I hold light weights.
(I used to sit and bounce on a large stability ball but it busted!)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 08:55 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Thank you, this is so sweet of you and the hugs and empathy are very much appreciated.

I think your postponed endocrinologist appt. is coming up next month. I hope it goes well. Post an update if you can.

Erica
I actually had to cancel my appt because of insurance hassles. But when I saw my primary doctor about my nerve pain from the covid vax (which is slowly resolving itself, just needs a few months more probably), he ordered a bunch of bloodwork. It literally all came back in the "normal" range. Mostly at either "high normal" or "low normal" though. He didn't test my estrogen/prog/FSH because he isn't a huge believer in accurate bloodwork for those, he said he'd rather have me do a saliva test but again my insurance won't cover that. But I can't take any hormones because of my blood clotting disorder, so it's kind of pointless anyway. I also have low ferritin, but I literally have always had low ferritin so that's nothing new. It's actually higher than it was two years ago, so that's progress.

I do have a slightly elevated TSH but it's not in range where they'd medicate me (I also had this in my 20s when I was on the pill and I tried synthroid at that time. It made my heart race and gave me palpitations and then made my symptoms worse! I was immediately taken off that). So I really am not interested in trying that again, especially since I don't handle meds well at all. My doctor is a big believer in diet and exercise and isn't one to just throw a pill at it, so he'd like me to just make some diet tweaks (basically smaller portions and more veggies) and literally just walk daily and do CS. He thinks all the overexercising from the past few years was too much for my declining hormones and he'd like to retest my bloodwork in a few months. He doesn't think anything is dire and hopes that giving my body a break will help even things out.

I'm also going to an acupuncturist who is also a neuroscience researcher, and he was a physician in China for many years. He has all of my bloodwork and feels like the drop in hormones is likely what triggered all of the problems including my elevated TSH. He's hoping to at least calm my nervous system down and see what happens in a few months to a year.

I'm also really been following Pahla B's advice about mindset and making peace with my body instead of trying to get it to do something that it just can't do anymore. I am able to do a lot of her workouts even with my knee, so at least that's something.

I really hope your injury heals soon, keep us posted!

Tags
injuries, injury