Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-19, 02:32 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Oh, no...I rolled my ankle! :-(

And I was wondering if I can exercise beyond using upper-body-only workouts.

What if I did exercises while my feet are firmly planted...no lunges, twists, turns, squats. Is that possible?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 02:42 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am so sorry! I'm the queen of ankle sprains....please be careful. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Get evaluated by a professional and PT if needed.

That said...workouts:
I would not do any weight bearing exercises until completely pain free

Margaret Richard Getting Better
Firm Sculpted Buns, Hips, and Thighs
Any floorwork....Ellen Fusion Floor

I recently had an ankle flare and was surprised how many "floor only" workouts were on YouTube. Like upper body, etc.

To rebuild ankle stability....standing balance work, wobble board or Bosu, V-Core if you can take it, Essentrics alphabet and feet exercises.

Take care....ankles are important.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 03:10 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I'm actually not feeling a whole lot of pain right now, unless I move my ankle in a certain way. It may be a pitfall that can make me think my ankle is better when it isn't yet.

So I should still avoid weight-bearing exercises even though my pain is minimal?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Old 07-21-19, 04:40 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
So I should still avoid weight-bearing exercises even though my pain is minimal?
I would. You don't want it to get worse. If you're even remotely concerned, get to the doctor. I've sprained both ankles multiple times and one wrist, and while I didn't always go to the doctor for reinjuries, I know that healing was better and faster when I avoided putting weight on what was sprained. I sprained my right wrist most recently in 2017, and it's only two years later that I do pushups and planks from my toes NOW. That was perhaps overly cautious of me, and I did start lifting weights again a few months after the injury, but the idea of putting my whole upper body of weight on the injured wrist really freaked me out. You can't avoid weight on your ankle since you walk on it, and it's a sturdier joint than the wrist, but RICE and no unnecessary weight bearing for a good while. If you do that, it'll heal up and you can get back to your regular routine soon.
Old 07-21-19, 07:52 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I'm actually not feeling a whole lot of pain right now, unless I move my ankle in a certain way. It may be a pitfall that can make me think my ankle is better when it isn't yet.

Seconding what others have said about no weight-bearing. But can you tell us more about the sprain? Is it swollen? That you don't have extreme pain is a good sign. When did it happen? Are you taking NSAIDs? Did you do RICE right away? I've had multiple third degree sprains in one ankle. One thing that helps greatly in the long term for healing is Glucosamine Sulfate (not hcl, not chondroiton). 750mg 2x/day for at least 3 months. Although GS is allowed to discuss on VF, there is more to the protocol. If you are interested in this protocol, PM me.

And there is mixed advice about the recovery. I have been told no weight for two weeks with the air cast. I have also been told that there is a sort of exercise protocol that promotes healing better than no-weight. But it is something you do with a PT, or you risk making it worse.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 07:59 PM  
Karla25

Margaret Richard’s Getting Better would be a good workout for you. She had foot surgery and created a workout to keep in shape while she recovered. Only seated and floor work are used in the workout. I hope you heal quickly!
Old 07-21-19, 08:33 PM  
bubbles76

Julie I am so sorry you rolled your ankle, but glad you are feeling a bit better. Don't rush recovery. Floor work is amazing, and Margaret Richard is the best at it. My legs really thanked me for working out six weeks with Margaret.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 10:24 PM  
Loriann

I sprain my ankle about every couple of years or so......the last time was last fall and I while I was healing I came across this https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ooo-vKuC4O1i6G

Carolyn Jordan has a number of workouts geared towards those with foot or ankle injuries. I especially enjoyed her chair cardio because I really didn’t have anything else that met that need. With large enough arm movements and 1# weights, I got a surprisingly good cardio workout.

I wish you a very speedy recovery!

Lori
Old 07-22-19, 09:12 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Seconding what others have said about no weight-bearing. But can you tell us more about the sprain? Is it swollen? That you don't have extreme pain is a good sign. When did it happen? Are you taking NSAIDs? Did you do RICE right away? I've had multiple third degree sprains in one ankle. One thing that helps greatly in the long term for healing is Glucosamine Sulfate (not hcl, not chondroiton). 750mg 2x/day for at least 3 months. Although GS is allowed to discuss on VF, there is more to the protocol. If you are interested in this protocol, PM me.

And there is mixed advice about the recovery. I have been told no weight for two weeks with the air cast. I have also been told that there is a sort of exercise protocol that promotes healing better than no-weight. But it is something you do with a PT, or you risk making it worse.
It happened around 4:00 Thursday...while doing a warm-up for a workout DVD (cruel irony). I took a wrong step on my left ankle, lost my balance and fell on my right side. It hurt a bit but I didn't think too much of it...

...until I went to work the next morning, when I saw that it swelled up, and I felt more pain and couldn't put much weight on my left foot. I worked all day and then went to the doc-in-the-box (immediate care ), where I got x-rays, confirmation of a sprain of the deltoid muscle, and a brace to wear (not a boot).

I took Advil and did the RICE thing on Friday...since then I've mainly just kept it elevated since the swelling has gone down (but there is still some) and it's not hurting that much.

I have been taking 1500 mg of glucosamine for several years now, but it's hcl, not sulfate.

I think I've covered everything. Ms. Omega, I just PM-ed you.

Old 07-22-19, 11:10 AM  
Hazel Porter

If you have access to a spin or stationary bike, you could do that (just don't do any out-of-the-saddle work).

Tags
foot injury, injuries, injury