Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-18, 06:25 AM  
Bebop

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm 58 and still in peri! Thought it was over for 6 months than, bang, back it came. I am petite and always been able to maintain a healthy weight with normal eating and exercising. My weight has shifted to the midsection.

Rationally, I know what is going on, but emotionally it is so frustrating. I know diet is a key and I'm trying to make small changes.

I'm adding in more cardio and following the look great in 8 rotation using my vast collection. This is a very cardio intense rotation and I'm hoping to see if that, along with cleaning up my diet, will make a difference. I'll let you know.

Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 01:27 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

All of these posts with such varied experiences shows how different each of us goes through the "change of life." I think it really comes down to doing what works for us after menopause, which isn't so very different than pre-menopause. I do think it's even harder for me to keep my weight in check and what worked before doesn't always work now, and that's been a life long challenge for me anyway.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 04:52 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I menopaused at 47, gained weight (that belly-spreading kind we hate so much ) and seemed impervious to weight loss for a while. But now that time has passed I can say my body is once again responding to dietary and exercise stimuli with fairly dependable weight reduction. So I suggest you do your best while letting your body settle into its new 'groove'. Just don't fret too much. In time things will most probably right themselves again.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 06:48 AM  
Carol K

I started the process of menopause at 49. The year I turned 50, I lost 18 lbs over 9 months by reducing calories and exercising regularly. By the time I was 55, I had regained 12 lbs. I decided I never wanted to be 10 lbs overweight again, because it gets harder to lose every time. So first I decided my target weight would be 115 instead of the usual 109, because 115 is an easier weight for me to maintain. Then I lost 11 lbs in 3 months (calorie reduction and exercise). In the 5 years since then, I've stayed within 4 lbs of my target weight by weighing myself each morning and if I've gained a pound or two, I take it off immediately (calorie reduction) instead of waiting for it to turn into 5 or 10 lbs. I call this my Betty White plan, because many years ago I read an interview with her in TV Guide where she recommended this method for maintaining your weight. This is the most control I've had over my weight ever in my life.
Old 01-09-18, 09:16 AM  
gjv

All your replies have been very much appreciated! I have learned a lot.

Thank you everyone.
Old 01-09-18, 09:47 PM  
aspidistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjv View Post
I am post menopausal. (51 years old) My last period was 1-1/2 years ago. In that span I have gone from 107 pounds to 113 pounds.

My exercise habits are the same, and I'm not eating any differently.

If this is typical, what do you all do to fight it? Or do you just give up?
I am 68 and post menopausal but I remember it all quite well. You gain weight because you need fewer calories the older you get. It's not fair but then I understood why older people eat so much less. If they didn't they'd gain weight. I don't know if it's even related to hormones but I had the same weight gaining tendency whether taking all the female hormone replacement or taking nothing. I suppose if we burned calories chopping wood or long distance running, we could still eat a normal amount and not gain weight. But I certainly don't, even when I work out hard, any weight loss is slow. The body tends to want to stay the same or gain weight so it is a daily struggle, but it can become a routine. You can't give up, or you could balloon up. I do balloon up if I act like an average person acts. Then I start over from square one, day one, the proper eating and exercising. You know, we have to do like our grandmas and moms did. They knew you had to eat less, and walk or do something, to avoid gaining weight after 50.
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 08:21 AM  
Swissmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidistra View Post
I am 68 and post menopausal but I remember it all quite well. You gain weight because you need fewer calories the older you get. It's not fair but then I understood why older people eat so much less. If they didn't they'd gain weight. I don't know if it's even related to hormones but I had the same weight gaining tendency whether taking all the female hormone replacement or taking nothing. I suppose if we burned calories chopping wood or long distance running, we could still eat a normal amount and not gain weight. But I certainly don't, even when I work out hard, any weight loss is slow. The body tends to want to stay the same or gain weight so it is a daily struggle, but it can become a routine. You can't give up, or you could balloon up. I do balloon up if I act like an average person acts. Then I start over from square one, day one, the proper eating and exercising. You know, we have to do like our grandmas and moms did. They knew you had to eat less, and walk or do something, to avoid gaining weight after 50.
Love this post! I've found every word of this to be true.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 09:58 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidistra View Post

I'm 60 and am now four years past menopause. I agree with almost everything in this post. Fortunately, however, I do not count calories. I do watch WHAT I eat and WHEN I eat, but I suspect I'd be thrown out of the calorie counting club before dinner on the the very first day.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 05:34 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post

Good luck! Watch out also for a sudden and inexplicable (and SO hard to heal) frozen shoulder. It is very common during menopause. I did not realize what was going on until it was too late to nip it in the bud, and it has taken years to heal (with PT & chiro and tons of patience and humility).

ETA: I never took any hormones or medications for menopause.
Orla, what is 'frozen shoulder'? I have one arm/shoulder that's acting funny/stiff.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 05:59 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Orla, what is 'frozen shoulder'? I have one arm/shoulder that's acting funny/stiff.
I have been having this as well. I had to stop lifting weights back in October and only do barre for toning now. I've had a bad knee and back for ages, but the shoulder came on all of a sudden.

I am 45 and only perio so I hope it does not get worse.

ETA: I found this. The description is pretty vague, but it sounds like what I've been experiencing.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...zen-shoulder#1
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, menopot, peri-menopause, perimenopause, weight gain