Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-13, 10:21 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I think what's good about a rotation is that it's easier to gauge progress. For example, if you were doing a heavy weight rotation then you can gradually increase your weights. If you were training for a running event, you can gauge your speed during running intervals or try to run further on your longer run days. It's harder to know if you're improving if you keep changing your workouts. I assume you're consistent so that's better than a lot of people. But it's hard to compare apples to oranges, e.g. you can't compare a TA wo to a JNL wo.
Old 06-25-13, 02:42 PM  
JeepGirl

I apologize for sharing what worked for me--I rarely post as I have felt badly about my weight struggles over the last few years and felt that i didnt have much to contribute given all the effort I put into exercise and the lack of results I saw. I've been working out consistently for years using multiple programs and DVD's (just check out my trade lists, lol) and it was changing my diet that finally worked. I wasn't trying to offend anyone--just trying to be helpful, as I'm assuming the other posters were being as well.
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 03:02 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
I apologize for sharing what worked for me--I rarely post as I have felt badly about my weight struggles over the last few years and felt that i didnt have much to contribute given all the effort I put into exercise and the lack of results I saw. I've been working out consistently for years using multiple programs and DVD's (just check out my trade lists, lol) and it was changing my diet that finally worked. I wasn't trying to offend anyone--just trying to be helpful, as I'm assuming the other posters were being as well.
Please don't apologize. I don't believe that your intention was to insult or offend the OP. It is virtually impossible to discuss weight struggles without at least some mention of the d word. I appreciate your contribution to the thread.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 03:51 PM  
Alan

I think diet is mentioned so often on VF because for most people 1 hour of exercise a day has a relatively small impact on one's weight compared to what happens the other 23 hours.

OP, if you trying to lose weight and are satisfied with your diet then I'd recommend trying to increase your overall daily activity. Examples: Walk to your errands instead of driving; take stairs instead of the elevator; get up and move around every once in awhile when you are working in front of the computer. You may wish to invest in something like a Bodybugg to monitor your daily activity and perhaps even have your resting metabolic rate tested in a Bodpod.

As Debbie mentioned it can also help to see a personal trainer or other health/fitness professional for a fitness assessment and/or training sessions.

Good luck!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 04:38 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I'm reposting this because it deals with the exercise part of the equation. Trying a rotation might be a good idea, but consistency is the key.

~Sissy B
I agree - I am always a little thrown by the discussions asking what results people have from various workouts when I know many of the people that ask are in regular checkins, excercise on a regular basis, etc.

From my experience, once I left the area of just dabbling with exercise (or in my case falling off the wagon and then climbing on again), I don't really see any huge results and no additional weight loss. I don't think I am doing anything wrong or doing the wrong rotation, but I am already at a certain level. What I do find is overall strength gains, older age issues resolving if I am lucky, etc. The other things are much smaller - like for me I like how my arms look best from body weight exercise with very little weights.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 05:18 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I said I'm not asking about diet because I already have that under control, keep a food jornal' etc. I only wanted to discuß the exercise aspect....please. I know what needs to be done with diet.

Guess maybe I should try a rotation.

Also, why do people just assume that because I'm overweight, I must not watch my diet......that is far from the truth and this sort of thing is probably one of the reasons were not to discuss diet here.

It hurts me that people just aßume that about me. can we stick to exercise talk?
So sorry if I contributed to you feeling hurt. I keep telling myself to stay away from GD threads as its seems so easy to say the wrong thing or be misunderstood. Take care and best of luck with what ever rotation you decide on!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 06:21 PM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I agree 100%, and I have also said the same thing here at VF many times. It seems to be a very common problem on this board and it has left me wondering why. Could it be the constant new releases, reading other VFers success with a certain program, their excitement over a program, etc? I really don't know. But everyone I know in real life who works out isn't this way at all.

The rule of thumb has always been to give a program at least 6 weeks, sometimes longer. The best thing you can do for yourself is have patience.

I say try this approach first. If you are still struggling, then I highly suggest hiring a personal trainer to work with you. He/she will be able to truly asset your goals, plus your physical limitations.

Anyone here trying to offer advice to you or anyone else that we have never met or seen in real life is really at a huge disadvantage in helping any VFer who is really struggling and desperately wants help.

I wish you the best. I know you've been struggling for a long time and hopefully things will start changing for the positive.
Very good advice Debbie!
This is a funny video about sticking to the plan! (Warning, he uses profanity)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDI9oAOy2z4
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 06:34 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
Very good advice Debbie!
This is a funny video about sticking to the plan! (Warning, he uses profanity)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDI9oAOy2z4
K, that was funny! I'm curious though. Does he always wear nail polish? LOL

I don't think anyone who mentioned diet needs to apologize. Everyone in this thread was offering some type of help and to feel bad in trying to do so isn't right. No one meant any harm.

Alan is right. What we do with the rest of the 23 hours in your day is much more important than the hour you clock in for your workout. Keep a journal for a week and see how much you move during the day.

Portion control can wreck havoc on an otherwise clean diet. I'm guilty of this at times. I don't like junk food, but I do love good food, and I can eat quite a bit. I bought a portion control plate a few years ago and will put it out when I feel that my portions at dinner are getting out of control.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 06:52 PM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
K, that was funny! I'm curious though. Does he always wear nail polish? LOL

I don't think anyone who mentioned diet needs to apologize. Everyone in this thread was offering some type of help and to feel bad in trying to do so isn't right. No one meant any harm.

Alan is right. What we do with the rest of the 23 hours in your day is much more important than the hour you clock in for your workout. Keep a journal for a week and see how much you move during the day.

Portion control can wreck havoc on an otherwise clean diet. I'm guilty of this at times. I don't like junk food, but I do love good food, and I can eat quite a bit. I bought a portion control plate a few years ago and will put it out when I feel that my portions at dinner are getting out of control.
That's funny! I never noticed that.

Apparently yes. He says he's a bit of a glamour girl.
http://www.theironsamurai.com/
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 11:25 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Sorry, I was just listing my experience. I do not believe there is a magic bullet, whether some special exercise program, or special "clean" diet. Several of us also asked what results you were looking for. since you didn't specify, it sure seems like many of us assumed you were looking for size reduction, whether wt loss or just getting smaller

It is very difficult to "see" results from exercise alone unless someone is just starting.

However, there are many many goals you can reach in a 12 week rotation- strength and or cardio gains, more stamina, etc. But upping exercise to increase metabolism, say 250 calories a day, would result in about 6 pounds wt loss in 12 weeks. And it is NOT easy to increase exercise by 250 calories day in and day out- no matter where you start from. It can be done.

I'm sad that you think people judge you negatively if you don't have the right diet. I didn't think you would welcome my thought which is 30 pounds extra most likely wouldn't stop anyone from doing the physical things they want to do. So imo in the scheme of American life, it is somewhat trivial because it probably wouldn't limit someone or make them unhealthy. I do understand that many people on VF would never agree with that sentiment. But don't wait, live and love now!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, diet, injuries, injury prevention, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, successful weight loss