Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-13, 07:35 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
can we stick to exercise talk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
In his book G-Force, Gunner Peterson says that the most important rule in his book is "You need to stick with your plan long enough to allow change to come into effect. Do not leave the game early."

He says that most people give up too soon because they're not seeing the results they want, and the reason they're not seeing the results they want is because they gave up too soon.
I'm reposting this because it deals with the exercise part of the equation. Trying a rotation might be a good idea, but consistency is the key.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 08:24 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
In his book G-Force, Gunner Peterson says that the most important rule in his book is "You need to stick with your plan long enough to allow change to come into effect. Do not leave the game early."

He says that most people give up too soon because they're not seeing the results they want, and the reason they're not seeing the results they want is because they gave up too soon.

~Sissy B
I agree 100%, and I have also said the same thing here at VF many times. It seems to be a very common problem on this board and it has left me wondering why. Could it be the constant new releases, reading other VFers success with a certain program, their excitement over a program, etc? I really don't know. But everyone I know in real life who works out isn't this way at all.

The rule of thumb has always been to give a program at least 6 weeks, sometimes longer. The best thing you can do for yourself is have patience.

I say try this approach first. If you are still struggling, then I highly suggest hiring a personal trainer to work with you. He/she will be able to truly asset your goals, plus your physical limitations.

Anyone here trying to offer advice to you or anyone else that we have never met or seen in real life is really at a huge disadvantage in helping any VFer who is really struggling and desperately wants help.

I wish you the best. I know you've been struggling for a long time and hopefully things will start changing for the positive.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 08:31 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy b View Post
in his book g-force, gunner peterson says that the most important rule in his book is "you need to stick with your plan long enough to allow change to come into effect. Do not leave the game early."

he says that most people give up too soon because they're not seeing the results they want, and the reason they're not seeing the results they want is because they gave up too soon.

~sissy b
ita.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:44 PM  
lorajc

I guess the only way to find out is try a program for a while. I guess I can throw in an occasional different workout to stave off boredom also. Now.....which program to start with?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 11:07 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
I guess the only way to find out is try a program for a while. I guess I can throw in an occasional different workout to stave off boredom also. Now.....which program to start with?
What is your current level? Physical limitations/injuries? What do you like? Favorite instructors? Are you limited to what you have on hand? If so, let us know what you have. Amount of time you have to workout?

That should give us a starting point
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 11:27 PM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
It is a tough time of life and what works for me might not work for you. I found that reading Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell helped me tremendously~I understood why things were going on, etc. Don't necessarily agree with everything she says about diet, exercise, it's worth considering as it works quite well for a lot of people.

I have tried to stick to a rotation for at least 8 weeks. From what I read, that's what you need to do to see if a certain type or working out, rotation, eating, etc. is working for you.

I just want to encourage you. It's hard to come and post something like you did and frankly, VF tends to be a place lately where you get a lot of "just clean up your diet" talk with little sympathy. I think we all need sympathy sometimes, don't we? (((HUGS)))
x3
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 07:41 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I hope you find something that works.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 08:00 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm not one to really stick to a rotation and I have ADD. Needless to say - I come on here and here someone got results from TA so I try that for a day or so, then someone says JNL and I do that for a couple days and so on.....

I once read an article from a celebrity trainer and they weren spilling there secrets - so to speak - and said they never have their client do the same workout days in a row...then you hear this rotation, that rotation.....

Yes...I'm older but I still don't know what works for me at this age so I just have fun..but I'd like to see some solid results not just have fun......what does everyone think? Should I be sticking to things longer?
I have been working through Look Great in 8 and would recommend that you consider it. It's a program where you do a different level of cardio with a different style of strength work for four weeks in a row. Then, you repeat the four weeks. Each day calls for a cardio workout of a certain intensity and duration and strength work. The four styles of strength work are strength circuits, heavy weights, high reps, and supersets. Instead of doing the 2-3 body parts per day that they call for (so you end up working each muscle group 2 times), I do two full-body strength workouts a week. Once I thought about it, I realized I had workouts in all these genres.

The thing I love about this rotation so far is that it gives me so much flexibility to fit in whatever DVD I want to do that meets the criteria they set out for the day. This morning, I did Walk Your Way Slim, a workout I haven't done for awhile and really enjoyed it. Yet, within that flexibility, I am making cardio endurance and strength gains because I am following the intention for each workout.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 08:29 AM  
Anny

Quote:
I said I'm not asking about diet because I already have that under control, keep a food jornal' etc. I only wanted to discuß the exercise aspect....please. I know what needs to be done with diet.

Guess maybe I should try a rotation.

Also, why do people just assume that because I'm overweight, I must not watch my diet......that is far from the truth and this sort of thing is probably one of the reasons were not to discuss diet here.

It hurts me that people just aßume that about me. can we stick to exercise talk?
I am so with you here, we ask about exercise and we get diet talk. I thought VF was no diet talk? It also irks me that people think overweight equals bad diet. I find for me there is the stress factor involved.

I have been trying to lose weight and regain fitness and some VFers gave me great advice about taking care of myself after/during a rough time. I have been doing what I love and sleeping more and taking care of myself. These things first have helped me immensely.
Old 06-25-13, 08:51 AM  
sherry7899

Lorajc-I don't have any further advice. I just wanted to send some hugs to you since it sounds like you could use them

I hope you can figure out what works for you-
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, diet, injuries, injury prevention, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, successful weight loss