Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-13, 10:00 AM  
sunday

Lora, you're a pretty advanced exerciser who's been working out a long time. Remember, we were in a checkin together? Workouts and rotations are not the issue; the issue is diet. Without losing the weight through a reduced calorie diet, you're just spinning your wheels and will never make any progress no matter what workouts you do.

I don't even necessarily believe in eating clean; I gained weight last summer eating too much oatmeal, bananas and almond milk, and you can't get much cleaner than that. Reduced calories are the only thing that's going to get you to your goals.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:04 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Reduced calories are the only thing that's going to get you to your goals.
True! Portion control is a good place to start. By eating clean I was including good food choices and smaller portions.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:07 AM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
True! Portion control is a good place to start. By eating clean I was including good food choices and smaller portions.
You're so right! I should have said portion control. Too much of anything, even clean, is still too much. It's the amount of food that matters for me. Although if I ate truly clean, I wouldn't be able to eat my nightly ice cream, which I'm not giving up!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:17 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Lora, you're a pretty advanced exerciser who's been working out a long time. Remember, we were in a checkin together? Workouts and rotations are not the issue; the issue is diet. Without losing the weight through a reduced calorie diet, you're just spinning your wheels and will never make any progress no matter what workouts you do.

I don't even necessarily believe in eating clean; I gained weight last summer eating too much oatmeal, bananas and almond milk, and you can't get much cleaner than that. Reduced calories are the only thing that's going to get you to your goals.
It's tough because the OP states that she's "just talking exercise here". We don't want to give tips outside her request but at the same time until that light bulb really goes off for them it's hard to watch people struggle with this. We've probably all been in that place where we think we get it, only to buckle down and get fantastic/surprising results by really streamlining the diet for the first time. It will definitely make a believer out of you.

I could do Insanity every day of the week for 3 months and not lose a fraction of the weight that I would lose in the same time on a very clean, portion controlled diet. Of course I get plenty of other benefits from exercise but hands down diet is the key to weight loss for me. I think this is especially true as we age. Combining clean diet with weights or walking/yoga gives me excellent results (lean and tone).
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:20 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Although if I ate truly clean, I wouldn't be able to eat my nightly ice cream, which I'm not giving up!
Lol Deana! You have to allow yourself the occasional treat IMO. Moderation is important to maintain your sanity!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 10:33 AM  
LauraBella

Agree on all the diet advice, so I won't add any more of that, either.

Just a couple thoughts on the switching exercise programs. Are you switching directly from one to another (as in you were doing TA throught Wednesday, and then woke up Thursday and switched to Firm, and continued that til Monday when you thought Turbo Jam sounded like a winner). Or is a fizzle-and-quit bc you are bored and start something different in a few days. Those few days could add up to a lot of missed workouts....

There's also this: while variety can be beneficial, there is also something positive to sticking with a program or move at least until you can do it proficiently enough to get the full benefit from it. You might be doing advanced workouts (and counting them as such) but only putting in intermediate efforts.

None of these things may be your issues, but they are questions to consider.
Old 06-24-13, 10:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

It's the food. Say no more.

I like the Look Great in 8 rotation. It has a weekly theme and you just plug in your favorite workouts. It works well for exercise ADD. There are several threads about it:

forum.videofitness.com/tags.php?tag=lgi8

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 11:15 AM  
Sissy B

In his book G-Force, Gunner Peterson says that the most important rule in his book is "You need to stick with your plan long enough to allow change to come into effect. Do not leave the game early."

He says that most people give up too soon because they're not seeing the results they want, and the reason they're not seeing the results they want is because they gave up too soon.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 11:23 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
So true! After my hysterectomy, I gained 35 pounds and it stayed for eight years. I worked out endlessly for those eight years and it didn't budge. Then I decided to try cleaning up my diet. I lost a pound a week and all of those 35 pounds. I've been in maintenance since February and doing great. And I don't have to work out as hard as I use too.
I agree that after a certain age, diet is what makes a difference for me. It doesn't really matter what rotation I do. If I don't watch what I eat, I won't see results.
Old 06-24-13, 11:40 AM  
JeepGirl

Quote:

ITA--I have about 30 pounds to lose, have been exercising since I was in college, and am in the midst of menopause & HRT. I've lost 8 pounds in the past month on WW. I realized just paying attention to portions and being mindful of my eating has made the difference. Now I walk 2-3 miles a day and have been doing Suzanne Bowen workouts. I don't feel at all deprived and both the diet and exercise is something I can easily sustain as a way of life.
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, diet, injuries, injury prevention, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, successful weight loss