Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-12, 07:54 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
It's rare to see a story about a woman, age 45-55, who struggled through menopause and got fantastic results doing a specific program.
That's probably because it's usually done through diet. Plus, the hormones are very involved and generally require personalized treatment.

I'm just finishing up an eight week on-line fat loss program with Metabolic Effect. It's supposed to be good for all women but they touched on post menopausal problems a lot. Unfortunately, I have actually gained two pounds and I'm quite surprised because I really thought anyone would have success with that diet. They said that if you don't lose weight (or fat, as they prefer), you need to look at thyroid (which I know I have problems with) and adrenals (which I think I have problems with) and possibly food sensitivity.

I've struggled with my weight since adolescence so I really think I have messed up hormones. At times in my life when I've had major hormonal shifts, I've had even bigger problems. Plus, I have never had any sort of relief from the thyroid medication I take so I don't think my thyroid has ever been properly treated.

I know we aren't supposed to discuss diet but as far as exercise is concerned, ME is big on short, intense workouts and lots of leisure walking. Hasn't worked for me, but it's something for others to try.

Good luck to you with Jillian. I hope it works.
Old 11-15-12, 08:19 AM  
Demeris

I'm 55, and I think I'm finally in menopause (4 1/2 months without a period). I've had issues with insomnia and hot flashes for 5 years now.

I got healthy 6/7 years ago, but the last 6 months, I developed, not a menopot but, a menobarrel.

I'm addicted to specific kinds of exercise, so I don't mix things up much, but I'm convinced it's about WHAT I eat, not so much how much. I can keep the hormones that regulate hunger, satiety, cravings by making wise choices with WHAT I eat.

About six months ago, I decided to be a bit lax (not wildly--still consciously sticking to my chosen nutritional plan but with nutritional indulgences that mess with those hunger/satiety/etc hormones a bit) about what and focus more on how much, hence the menobarrel, which now, with wise food choices, is shrinking.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:20 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I just turned 56 and here's my experience.

I have worked out and run 3 miles a day for years.
Not everyone can run 3 miles a day. I too used to run, for decades, and my knees are shot as a result. I have done other types of exercise for my entire adult life. I'm 56. I've kept my weight at my pre-menopause level by tweaking an already very clean diet (and eating less), lots of yoga, strength training, and walking.

Running is a terrific form of exercise, especially if you want to lose weight, but very hard on many people's joints.

The reality, at least for me, is that eating less, and eating really clean, is a major factor in avoiding or minimizing menopausal weight gain.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:37 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I keep my hormones balanced with bioidentical hormones so my body doesn't know it's 59. I try to eat 'real' food, very little sugar and enough good fats. Between that, Leslie and some upper body strength training - I've made it through menopause and plan to maintain this lifestyle forever!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:40 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I keep my hormones balanced with bioidentical hormones so my body doesn't know it's 59.
This is another thing that didn't work for me. In fact, it has made me much worse.

Everyone is different! J J Virgin says our bodies are chemistry labs. You have to keep experimenting to find what works for you. I would prefer a sure thing.
Old 11-15-12, 09:16 AM  
Hoodone

Pick me! Pick me! I have been able to lose those stubborn last 10 pounds WHILE IN PERIMENOPAUSE. Yes, it's true. It can happen. I'm looking hard at 50 years old.

Warning: this post does contain loose diet talk so please delete if violates rules!

I have always been a regular exercise, but I love food, love to eat, love sweets. So I've always been a bit heavier than I would have liked. Not tons, but just for reality sake, I'm 5' 6 1/2 inches and weighed in the mid 140's.

I did have my kiddos fairly late, 39 and 41, and interestingly after the first was able to get into the low 130's but after the second, no way. Right back into the 140's no matter what exercise program I did. Again, I have always exercised regularly, even through those pregnancies, about an hour a day more or less alternating cardio and weights.

Finally, I decided to start logging my food. That did the trick for me. I was able to lose those 10 pounds. I now weigh in the low 130's.

I log on my fitness pal as it is super easy. I log my food every day and I try to be excruciatingly honest and log EVERY SINGLE BITE (this doesn't always happen, but it should). While I do eat pretty darn clean, I love sweets and sometimes still go overboard on those, but I log them. Honesty in logging allows you the power of information and control over the situation. Information is power!!

I weigh every single day, again, information is power. This allows me to see what causes problems. For instance, I know that eating out or drinking alcohol are devastating on the scale. Also bad are poor sleeping, not drinking enough water, or eating too late at night. You may not want to see that weight every day but it provides very important information that may just nudge you to change habits. We rarely eat out anymore, for example.

Finally, I am not afraid of big weights. Just completing Body Beast and have also done a couple of rounds of STS. Muscle is your friend. Also, daily activity. I religiously get my 10,000 steps/5 miles a day. Fitbit is my friend!

So just words of encouragement, really, that you can do it! Don't let this time of life distract you from your goals. Keep pressing on (and pressing play on your DVD collection!). You'll get there!!
Hoodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 09:41 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Not everyone can run 3 miles a day. I too used to run, for decades, and my knees are shot as a result. I have done other types of exercise for my entire adult life. I'm 56. I've kept my weight at my pre-menopause level by tweaking an already very clean diet (and eating less), lots of yoga, strength training, and walking.

Running is a terrific form of exercise, especially if you want to lose weight, but very hard on many people's joints.

The reality, at least for me, is that eating less, and eating really clean, is a major factor in avoiding or minimizing menopausal weight gain.
I mentioned that I run, but I also said that I think how much you eat is key. Running is just what I do. I don't think it has a lot to do with my weight. So essentially, we are saying the same thing.

And just for the record, I think everybody is different. It really doesn't help a whole lot to hear what one specific person does. You have to figure out what works for you, personally. We are all built differently, and have different genetic make ups.
Old 11-15-12, 09:50 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I agree with you Hoodone, but I hate doing it - the logging of the food and the weighing every day. Everything I read says logging is one of the key success factors to losing or maintaining weight (if you normally have a problem with that). I struggle because I don't want to feel like I'm on a 'diet' because that means it's something I can go 'off' and I want to simply feel like I'm eating well without focusing on every morsel I put in my mouth. Ironically, the only way I've ever been able to lose weight is by logging and following a strict plan (I won't go there. Let's just say I've been on several commercially available plans).

Knowing what you should eat to maintain or lose weight, or just to be healthy, is one thing. Actually doing it is another.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 10:37 AM  
lovely4deb
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I keep my hormones balanced with bioidentical hormones so my body doesn't know it's 59. I try to eat 'real' food, very little sugar and enough good fats. Between that, Leslie and some upper body strength training - I've made it through menopause and plan to maintain this lifestyle forever!
Joni- what does bioidentical mean?
I'm 49 and just hating hotflashes and peri/menopause.
My dr prescribed prempro for me but I'm hesitating to take them.
Fearing weight gain and super rollercoaster emotions
(Better known as my 30's)
Old 11-15-12, 11:08 AM  
sunday

I am fully menopausal at nearly 48 and have been for a while. I've lost 50 pounds and kept it off. For me, it's not what I eat, but HOW much. Eating small portions of whatever I want keeps me slim, along with moderate exercise. It is different for everyone, and everyone needs to experiment to see what will work for them.

FWIT, I gained weight eating super clean, but too much - oatmeal, apples, almond milk, etc. For me it's amount, not content.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, menopot, over 50, shapewear, spanx, weight loss