Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-22, 06:12 PM  
JENILU

Question Has anyone done This Program w/ Debra Atkinson (w/flipping 50) and is it Wrth It? (Pl

I saw this and wondered about it, but I see so many that are geared toward different aspects of things I have going on and i am struggling to know what I can handle and whats worth it.

Its a little on the high side for me, but everything is nowadays. Just wondering what anyone thinks? (i have also thought about Cocolime Fitness and MelissaWoodHealth? Plus others that I cannot think of at the moment.

Soo, has anyone tried this?
GET STRONGER 2022
https://www.flippingfifty.com/get-stronger-2022/

PS: PVolve was another I forgot. They seem to be gearing for people like me in their adds

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 06:31 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I was very unimpressed with her book. It was .99 and I felt like I wasted my money. Harsh but true.
If you are looking for a program geared to menopause take a look at Paula B https://www.youtube.com/c/PahlaBowers - her workouts are free on youtube. Full disclosure alert: I like what she has to say - I read her ebook and found it useful but don't care for her workouts. That said, she is very popular and women who belong to her facebook group report some excellent results.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 06:48 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
I was very unimpressed with her book. It was .99 and I felt like I wasted my money. Harsh but true.
If you are looking for a program geared to menopause take a look at Paula B https://www.youtube.com/c/PahlaBowers - her workouts are free on youtube. Full disclosure alert: I like what she has to say - I read her ebook and found it useful but don't care for her workouts. That said, she is very popular and women who belong to her facebook group report some excellent results.
Thankyou. I followed her a long time ago, but kinda felt the way you said. She didn't seem to speak to me. (I'm 47 by the way.) Its been mostly pain and illness and now meno is wiping me out going on top of the others). I adore Pahla B, but can't seem to workout with her. When I try it just doesn't feel right (for me). There are so many fitness people that people adore that my body just doesn't feel right working out with for some reason, so that was exactly what I was wanting to know, thankyou!!
I workout/move with random people most days on youtube, I just wondered if I could conserve my energy better and in the right way for health and meno changes if I was following someone geared for those things (maybe?). Sleeping when I should would be a big step in my health I know, but I have been trying to change that for years and can't seem to- its like I was born on the other side of the world or something (i know the Addison's can mess up your body clock, but I am at the extreme now).
Anyways thankyou so much for your thoughts!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 06-21-22, 09:35 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I follow Debra on Instagram but I didn't buy her stuff (far too pricey). Plus, she does too much weight work than I want to do right now. I basically follow Pahla's method but I don't do her workouts either.

I'm still perimenopausal and looking at 49 soon. Nothing else worked for me except Pahla's calorie deficit, water, mindset, and certainly not doing more or using heavier weights. My body just couldn't do it. I had a lot of injuries, pain, anxiety, you name it.

Now I try to just do 30 or 45 minute-ish workouts (mostly walking, so Leslie, Jessica, Ellen) with two days of strength days (Cathe, Tracie), and I do a few CS or Essentrics workouts about three times a week (usually the stretchy ones after a 30 min walk). But that's it, just some movement each day and not overdoing it. And if I overdo it now, I back off immediately and don't start up again until I feel up to it.

I track all my calories each day (except weekends) and eat a nutrient-dense diet. I have lost nearly 25 pounds in the past year (but still have the meno muffin top and much larger breasts than before, none of that has gone anywhere). I intend to keep going and hopefully get through this plateau. I still have a lot of perimenopausal symptoms but after really concentrating on a good diet and proper amounts of exercise (but not overdoing it), I'm able to better cope with the symptoms better than before.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 02:38 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I follow Debra on Instagram but I didn't buy her stuff (far too pricey). Plus, she does too much weight work than I want to do right now. I basically follow Pahla's method but I don't do her workouts either.

I'm still perimenopausal and looking at 49 soon. Nothing else worked for me except Pahla's calorie deficit, water, mindset, and certainly not doing more or using heavier weights. My body just couldn't do it. I had a lot of injuries, pain, anxiety, you name it.

Now I try to just do 30 or 45 minute-ish workouts (mostly walking, so Leslie, Jessica, Ellen) with two days of strength days (Cathe, Tracie), and I do a few CS or Essentrics workouts about three times a week (usually the stretchy ones after a 30 min walk). But that's it, just some movement each day and not overdoing it. And if I overdo it now, I back off immediately and don't start up again until I feel up to it.

I track all my calories each day (except weekends) and eat a nutrient-dense diet. I have lost nearly 25 pounds in the past year (but still have the meno muffin top and much larger breasts than before, none of that has gone anywhere). I intend to keep going and hopefully get through this plateau. I still have a lot of perimenopausal symptoms but after really concentrating on a good diet and proper amounts of exercise (but not overdoing it), I'm able to better cope with the symptoms better than before.
Something you said made me think of it, but I think the cause(mostly atleast) of my shape change has been nearly having to double the amt of insulin I have to take for the same foods. I can't eat a lot because I am not allowed enough insulin (per what my Dr tells pharmacy/insurance). Drives me nuts. I actually think that in itself stresses the body too because I can't fuel it properly, but I gain anyway because weight itself, on me has never been about exercise or eating. For me (not saying this for anyone else at all) it all seemed to be about meds/hormones/depression/diseases, etc.. and it has always gone up and down as it pleased. But, well, eating is dictated by what I said, kinda (i don't much appetite either) and I move everyday for health and the future (standing and moving as well and as long as i can, circulation, bones, etc..) I'd love the weight to come down tho. If I wasn't in so much pain right now, I'd be trying a lot harder on the weights, but still try to move. I love your schedule and your mindset. I think not stressing about it and doing a little of all those things a week - but not too long at 1 time for any session is my ticket. I was hoping there was someone really good to follow, but you are right. I should probably just go with my own things, following workouts that feel right for what I can do- and maybe adding back in some essentrics which I haven't done in quite a while. Blessings

Old 06-22-22, 08:44 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm still perimenopausal and looking at 49 soon.
I'm 55 and still haven't hit menopause. In fact, not even close.

Nothing changes for me unless I tackle the dreaded 4 letter word that starts with D.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 09:12 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
I think not stressing about it and doing a little of all those things a week - but not too long at 1 time for any session is my ticket.
I know I was eating too little of a healthy diet and working out too hard/too long/too many days a week for my poor body. It just couldn't do it and I was constantly in pain, joints were sore every day, muscles couldn't recover, and yet the weight just kept packing on even though I was working out more and my anxiety, sleep, constant worry, mind racing, brain fog, you name it!, were off the charts. Once I backed off workouts and really just focused on a healthy diet, water, and managing a new mindset (a daily struggle because I still mentally feel that I should do more), my peri symptoms were easier to deal with. But it's a daily thing, there's no more "set the weekly schedule and strictly adhere to it" for me. I just have a wish list for the week and if it happens it happens, I mostly just try to eat a healthy diet and move or stretch every day now.
Old 06-22-22, 09:17 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I'm 55 and still haven't hit menopause. In fact, not even close.

Nothing changes for me unless I tackle the dreaded 4 letter word that starts with D.
I have a feeling I'll still be in perimenopause for a while. Four years (at least) since I started with vague symptoms. I still have very regular cycles (and heavy currently) so I don't think I'm anywhere near done.

Ditto with the dreaded 4-letter D word!
Old 06-22-22, 06:22 PM  
JENILU

Agreeing totally about the working out too long and hard, even tho it has never been to the level of so many on here. I have always stayed at maybe a high beginner level for some reason. Maybe health or maybe just the way I'm made. I like to move, but definately not an athlete or graceful. i get so disheartened but inspired anyway, when I see people with health challenges almost like mine on things like Ninja Warrior, and wonder how they do it.

my sisters and Mom never seemed to have menopause or any of the symptoms. I thought I would be the same, but that emergency Hysterectomy last year sent my body in a spiral I think, with all the other health challenges going on, and even tho I warned them, they weren;t prepared for the Addison's or blood sugar symptoms on the operating table and I just about didn't wake up. I had 3 amazing weeks after that tho that I felt better than I have in years In November, a ton of inflammation started after helping hubby with some pipes over my head (getting them off high truck), and my symptoms came on hard pretty fast with that for some weird reason. I think I was in some kind of stasis til then.
Not really worried about diet right now because I have been strict on myself anyway for years and right now eat the only way I can. Which is more minimal than I feel is healthy, but as nutrient dense as I can manage or have the energy to do.
Bless y'all.
Was mainly wondering about movement programs to help me thru the changes and new pains that I need to be careful with.

Old 06-23-22, 08:30 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I just finished Debra's Get Stronger-Tone and Define. I had drifted away from weight training and even exercise in general and I wanted a program to get me back on track. The program is only available during the the active 3-month time (its not lifetime access). It is pricey, agreed.
It did help me get back to weight training. It seems geared to beginners and I think anyone here would be bored with it; I did get bored with the last month and went back to my usual variety of workouts. But it did help me get back on track. The workouts are about 30 minutes. They are exercises that we all know. And Debra doesn't keep count, which I know will drive a lot of folks nuts.
I don't regret the purchase at all, but won't be signing up again. I'm happy to be engaged in strength training again, though!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
debra atkinson, flipping 50, menopause, over 50, pahla bowers