Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-21, 07:49 AM  
Gardengirl

I agree about working the smaller muscle groups! I’ve been achy after workouts and was thinking it was all part of aging, but working these smaller muscle groups seems to have relieved most of the chronic achy pains. My hamstrings, piriformis, and hip flexors were giving me fits! I think not working the smaller muscles created a muscle imbalance for me. I never have been drawn to any barre workouts so this is a surprise for me, but barre3 isn’t anything like what I thought a barre workout was and seems to be a missing component in my workouts. The variety of instructors and workouts of the streaming keeps it interesting.
Old 10-01-21, 09:59 AM  
Gardengirl

Allison, thanks for mentioning Kaleigh Cohen. I'm going to give a couple of her YouTube workouts a try. Look basic and simple.
Old 10-01-21, 10:27 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
Allison, thanks for mentioning Kaleigh Cohen. I'm going to give a couple of her YouTube workouts a try. Look basic and simple.
I’ve been loving her stuff lately! (Today was 20 Min Arms Superset + Quads & Abs + 15 Min Toned Thighs — whew!!)

She has a lot of 15-20 workouts, great for mixing and matching or tacking on!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 02:48 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Allison, I was gonna say the same thing!! I looked her up, and her strength ones seem to be right up my alley (when I am a little more healed from surgery. Only do things I can easily modify right now). I hope her voice is ok. I had to preview on mute.

I have been doing limited versions of what everyone is talking about. Mostly doing pregnancy standing pilates/barre and some post surgery yoga along with walking, but have been adding weights slowly back in. When I leave the standing pilates/barre out now, I feel I am missing something. Whatever I used to do used to kill my knees and I thought I would never look at this style again, but what I am doing has been very gentle and helped me keep moving. I didn't think about smaller muscles separate from larger, but it makes sense and may be why it feels good, but I love my weights too and miss them, which is why i am slowly trying to get them back in.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 02:43 PM  
Gardengirl

Jenilu, what I liked about and Kaleigh’s workout was that she isn’t trying to be a cardio workout and goes at a reasonable pace. The one I did was supersets. Weight of your choice, two exercises, 12-13 reps each, then repeat a second time. Then she moves to the next round. Hits everything in about 30 minutes. This is my kind of workout!
Old 10-02-21, 03:49 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Jenilu, what I liked about and Kaleigh’s workout was that she isn’t trying to be a cardio workout and goes at a reasonable pace. The one I did was supersets. Weight of your choice, two exercises, 12-13 reps each, then repeat a second time. Then she moves to the next round. Hits everything in about 30 minutes. This is my kind of workout!
That sounds really good!! If I am not going heavier, prior to surgery atleast, I really liked compound moves or cardio weights because it seemed to minimie me getting over inflamed (which I do easily) so I swell up a lot less than I do when just doing weights or the more painful barre, but I do love more traditional weight workouts- especially full body. I saw last night that she had a superset playlist, but it didn't have the full body one on it so I had to save it separately. I'm now at 4 weeks post surgery and healing very different than videos I see so can't use their recs because they seem t be barely sitting up, lol, and the Dr was so impressed at 2 weeks that she didn't really give any limitations except to walk as much as possible and stay under 20 lbs (not off the floor)- but I don't think she was referring to lifting weights, but more like picking up my fur baby, which was inescapable anyway. So I am basically doing more than the recovery videos, but erring on the side of caution so I improve rather than tearing anything. I don't know, sadly if I am back to heavy enough yet to do pyramid style. The most i am really doing right now is 5 lbs, and if I want to get a little bit freaky I use the 5 lbs and 2 lb weighted gloves. If my ankle weights weren't so old and nasty, I would probably use those, but do use booty bands when I can. (I saw she uses them in some videos, so yay!!)(PS: I stay at a beginner level, sort of, so definately not bragging at not being at most people's recovery level, just definately healing better than what was implied) I am getting you so off track from original subject. I am so sorry!!
Anyway, you have made me crave also some more standing pilates (my form of barre) so will probably do that today. I hope to move up a little in weights next week and then I may try the pyramid, with modifying whatever I need to.

Back to your original subject, would it work and be enjoyable for you to try, something like her 15 minute series, and still do Barre 3 2-3 TPW and other (cardio/yoga, etc..) on the other days? Since her 15 minute series works different muscles each day, it wouldn't be over adding. Thats the type thing I'd do since I always want to do everything. (keeping any other thing under 20-30 minutes and possible splitting up if other health issues are adding up and have to keep them short)
I'll shut up now. Many blessings!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 10-04-21, 04:30 PM  
Gardengirl

Go slow and don’t hurt yourself as you don’t want to prolong the recovery! I know I need to be more kind to my body (I don’t stretch enough). Plenty of time to hit the weights when you’re ready.

Yes I think I’ll use Kaleigh’s 15 and 20 minute workout a lot too. Great for time crunched days. I really like her style and lik most everything I’ve previewed.

Thanks again, Allison! You saved me a streaming subscription to something!
Old 10-04-21, 05:20 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Go slow and don’t hurt yourself as you don’t want to prolong the recovery! I know I need to be more kind to my body (I don’t stretch enough). Plenty of time to hit the weights when you’re ready.

Yes I think I’ll use Kaleigh’s 15 and 20 minute workout a lot too. Great for time crunched days. I really like her style and lik most everything I’ve previewed.

Thanks again, Allison! You saved me a streaming subscription to something!
Awesome! I’m super happy that someone mentioned her in the YouTube thread!
I’ve mostly been using the 15-20 min workouts and piecing them together, but this morning I did one of the 30-minute total body workouts. It was great! I’m already seeing an increase in my strength.

ETA: this is the one I did — https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImYKxw..._b2N1Q&index=1

(I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Kaleigh Cohen Strength thread, where we fangirl over her, haha, and share when we use a workout from her channel…?)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 10:49 PM  
JENILU

GardenGirl - Thankyou. I am trying to heal and be slow- but at the same time, i actually feel better than I've felt in years, and that drive to move forward and be as healthy as I can- while also not knowing where I am supposed to draw the line is hard. I have to atleast walk tho because blood circulation isn't where I'd like it to be and having to avoid clots. There's such a fine line, lol

Alison - I LOVE what I have previewed and am a potential fan girl, but have to actually do some first, lol. I mostly have stuck to Jessica Smith over the years because her cuing seems to be my happy place. During recovery, mostly thru here- and some of these before recovery, tho, I also found Silver&Fit ; Seniorshape fitness (I'm not a senior, but she is my speed and talks to us like adults!!, Reps to the Rhythm; Donoven Green ; Curtis Adams ; etc.. When I can move up a little from them, I will be there- or might try some at a lighter weight. I tried a pregnancy upper body cardio yesterday, thinking it would be safe, and she pulled out some heavy weights for a few moves and I wasn't thinking and pushed a little too much. I've had it for several surgery recoveries and never ended up trying it so felt like I had to. (tradelist material now. None of this girl's stuff is for me that I have owned). She looks like I will really like her tho. Makes me wish I could do spin too, lol.

Tags
barre and weights, barre3, barre3 and weights, curtis adams