Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-15, 12:04 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
You have to view it like going to a fitness class -- you are paying for the class, not for the ability to do it another time. It is definitely a mindset shift.
Except, with DVDs the teachers actually get paid royalties for their work.

http://www.jbrownyoga.com/blog/2014/2/is-yogaglo-evil

If you can't keep it local, and sustainable (i.e., live class instruction), if you are not wealthy enough to be a patron or a shareholder: does the artist get paid? Or would you rather pay a soulless media broadcaster?

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 12:14 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
You have to view it like going to a fitness class -- you are paying for the class, not for the ability to do it another time. It is definitely a mindset shift.
And this is why I don't like it. It's all the negatives of working out at home (no instructor interaction/form tweaks, the distractions of being in your own environment) and some of the negatives of going to a class (paying for a temporary experience). The only advantage is that you don't have to travel, as you would for a class, but that's still true with a DVD.

I can see streaming being fun for people who like fresh, new content everyday, but honestly, I have enough DVDs that I can still have that fresh, new feel even with my DVDs!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 12:28 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
And this is why I don't like it. It's all the negatives of working out at home (no instructor interaction/form tweaks, the distractions of being in your own environment) and some of the negatives of going to a class (paying for a temporary experience). The only advantage is that you don't have to travel, as you would for a class, but that's still true with a DVD.

I can see streaming being fun for people who like fresh, new content everyday, but honestly, I have enough DVDs that I can still have that fresh, new feel even with my DVDs!
That!

And, if in the future Silver Sneakers were to pay some soulless media broadcaster, on my behalf ... I modify enough, everybody—every artist of fitness—that it is so made my own. Sorry, guys, I am body-aware enough and have enough idiosyncrasies to have to do so. And in truth, I've created my own full workouts, as well.

My values about who gets paid, are thus not compromised on that score; while keeping it (relatively) local - at least as far as that gym's location is concerned ... should I venture out to such a futuristic venue ... it took my membership in VF and my brief involvement with Udemy for mat pilates, for me to change some of my values this much, because I used to take a very hard line against streaming sites ... and was never this situational-ethics-minded ....

A gym like that described though, would be to me the best of all possible worlds ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rks