Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-22, 08:37 PM  
Tugger31

I have done too numerous to count leg/glute workouts over the years from traditional weights to pilates, barre, Ballet Beautiful etc etc and recently I did a new workout and the next day I was like "wow, I've never felt my gluteus medius worked like this before!" I usually run thru the stretch at the end twice b/c the stretches are pretty much what I did in PT for my hips at one point.

https://shop.cathe.com/cathe-boss-lo...dvd-p/1070.htm
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 10:48 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I had hip pain last year, mainly doing lateral moves, and got rid of it by doing some Caroline Jordan workouts a few times a week.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CarolineJo...ery=hip%20pain

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 11:25 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Wow, thanks, Venus! I will look up those workouts you mentioned. Sometimes I just don't think to use Google on my own. VF has been my "go to" fitness-related search engine for over 21 years!

So far, the only exercises I have really tried, besides the ones my physical therapist assigned (and which didn't help) have been from an AthleanX video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKKnVg1hzE&t=35s

These exercises seems to be a bit different than my p.t. ones, and they seemed to give some immediate relief at first, but now I'm wondering if I'm doing them correctly because they don't always have the same effect. I guess I just need to give it more time.

Donna
Donna, I hope they help!

I like to do standing leg lifts on my own for extra movement, and I did some leg lifts in Yoga with Adriene's recent Mobility practice (with toes turned in and then turned out). But I haven't tried the second position in the Athlean-X video. I will have to try it and see if I feel a difference. It does seem like you would need to be careful about form.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 08:13 AM  
donnamp

I second the recommendation for Annie Pilates Physical Therapy - this is one of my go-to's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnzads6O3w

She has others that look good as well, particularly this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSlcjs-QImQ&t=1024s

Jessica Valent has some good workouts for strengthening the hips and glutes.

I also recommend Caroline Jordan she has some good ones that are both standing and floor work done w/ the resistance band/loops.

I have similar issues as you - with weak glutes and unstable hips/pelvis.

Good luck!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 10:37 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
My question is: Do you know of any workouts (not just exercise demonstrations) that address weak gluteus medius muscles? Maybe a lower-body workout that includes exercises for the gluteus medius? Or do you have any suggestions for exercises I can do at home that have helped your own hip pain?

Thanks,
Donna
floor work seems to be one of the suggested tried and true remedies for hip pain.

another that has helped me with hip pain is simply wearing the booty band (the one that goes around your upper thighs) during walking workouts like Leslie or Jessica.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 06:15 PM  
Sollamyn

Thanks, everybody! I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback!

Donna
Old 01-15-22, 12:33 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I am rehabbing from a broken foot, and my PT is working on gluteus medius too. I am doing sidesteps with a band around my thighs just above the knees and also the old lying leg lefts where you lay on your side and lift your leg up and down. I do that one with a band too. A loop band works best. For the lying leg lift you have to be sure to do it properly with your leg not too far forward of your body because then you start working your quads and hip flexors instead. A really good lower body workout that targets the hips is in the Pregnancy Workout with Andrea Orbeck. It's only 12 minutes long (out of an hour long workout), but it's really good, and I think it's worth it to buy the entire DVD for that 12 minutes alone. You don't have to be pregnant to benefit. It also uses a loop band.
Andrea Orbeck's Pregnancy Sculpt is the deal of the day (1/15/22) at totalfitnessdvds
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 12:48 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I agree with many of these recommendations especially:
1) Clamshells with a resistance loop or other resistance.
2) Bridges with resistance loop.
3) Hip abduction with loop. I do a combo in a descending ladder I got from Bret Contreras: 10 bridges, 10 abductions (pulling legs out) , 9 bridges, 9 abductions etc. to challenge yourself you can do the abductions in a bridge position. Increase difficulty by using a heavier band or starting with a higher number of reps. Also when I get down to 1 rep, I do 1 rep of each move back to back 10 times. Really fries the glutes.
4) Monster walks with band around ankles or just walking side to side with the band around ankles.
5) Banded abductions while seated on a chair if you can't get down to floor for some reason.

I recommend the fabric bands as they don't roll up and cause discomfort like the latex ones.

I need to start doing these again!

lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 01:37 PM  
Venus

There are some short Andrea Orbeck workouts on YouTube, including side lying workouts using the exercise band/loop.

Andrea Orbeck workouts

POPSUGAR Fitness: Butt Exercises, Supermodel Workout, Class FitSugar with Andrea Orbeck - 10 min

XHIT Daily: The Supermodel Butt Workout with Andrea Orbeck - 8 min

Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 10:32 PM  
bfit

These You Tube workouts have exactly the same floor exercises in them that the pregnancy workout does. The pregnancy workout has a standing section too though. I find the floor work tougher and more effective.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, booty bands, bret contreras, glute building, glute workouts, gluteus medius, hip pain, medius gluteus