Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-15, 01:53 PM  
Libby

Correction

I can't do a lot of squats and lunges now so I need to find gluteal floor exercises.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 03:47 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Are you against barre? Callanetics would do it, and there is a workout that focuses on just the Hips and Behind. Callanetics Evolution has standing glute work that does not involve squats and lunges (and its chaptered.) You could also check out Sandra Hanna's streaming stuff to see what's new.

As for other barre work, Bar Method used to be considered the best starting place for the instruction, Barre3 is very popular. Core Fusion is very popular too.

That's just what I know about but I haven't done a lot of newer barre stuff...Callanetics did it for me, and I just didn't need to look into other stuff.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 03:55 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Ballet Beautiful has great floor work, The Classic and The Blasts. The original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey has a good floor work section.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 07:58 PM  
deineira

Terri Walsh has a series of Prescriptives that are focused on body parts and she has 2 30 minute glute workouts that I don't think have any lunges. You can contact her at terri@twtnyc.com to get more information. Her regular workouts do have squats and lunges, but I don't remember those exercises being in the Prescriptives that focus on glutes. I remember an awful lot of bridge work, which I hate, but found effective.

Hamelin d'Abell also has intensive lower body work that does not really focus on lunges or squats at all. I like them for a reprieve from those moves.

And finally, I think the mat work in Tonique is all mat...so Energy mat or Cardio mat might work for you.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 08:00 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Margaret Richard might work for you. Barlates Body Blitz is sure to have a lunge/squat-free workout or two addressing that area, too.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 09:08 PM  
bfit

The Cathe ones that have been mentioned (Great Glutes + Butts and Guts) do have good floor work sections. If you think that eventually you'll be able to do some of the squats and lunges in them these workouts would probably be worth buying. Margaret Richard's Getting Better is a pretty tough toning workout that she made when she had her foot in a boot because of an injury and/or surgery. I've used this whenever I've had a lower body injury, and it's really good. If I remember correctly there's about 30 minutes of lower body work, but it's not just glutes, and it also covers inner thighs, quads, and so on.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 09:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
so you can or can't do a lot of squats/lunges?
I was wondering the same thing that Shammy mentioned.

High and Tight has squats in them, but no lunges. Has floor work.
Bum Bum has both lunges and squats.
Tamilee's workout has squats.
Kathy's workout mentioned above does have squats and lunge-like squats.

if you want good floor work that might be easy on the knees, then i'd do Slim Series Firm It Up but do it w/o the ankle weights. my knees are fine, and I do the workout w/o any ankle weights, and it's still a great workout.

another great floor work workout is the original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 09:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Are you against barre? Callanetics would do it, and there is a workout that focuses on just the Hips and Behind.
^2.

great workout that is easy on the knees, good on the butt.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brazil butt lift, butt workouts, glute workouts, terri walsh