Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-24, 06:19 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

35 years of regular workouts

I meant to post this last month but February was LONG. But 35 years ago (Feb of 1989) I started my exercise journey. I took up lap swimming 3 x week. After a few months I added on Kathy Smith Fat Burning (LOL). I used to save my Special K box tops for new Kathy Smith workouts. Somewhere along the way Collage Video found me and sent me a catalog. Eventually I clicked my way here - discovered many many instructors, joined an every day in April challenge (back in 2002) and essentially have worked out daily since.

I'm sure someone here has been working regularly for longer but I kind of when wow, that's a long time!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-24, 09:56 PM  
Leonana

Thirty-five years is a long time! That’s a wonderful accomplishment.

In my 30’s, I worked out for about a year on the treadmill in the gym. Then I had a Nordic Track for a short time. But I didn’t start exercising consistently until I was 53. So, that makes 11 years for me. I started with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Then I discovered Collage and Jessica Smith DVD’s and her YouTube channel.
Old 03-15-24, 10:21 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

That’s great eventmom. You’ve built up an amazing fitness account over that time.

I’m somewhat similar. In my twenties I was practising yoga and doing jazz at the gym. Found the new hi impact aerobics class at the gym. I started with Kathy Smith videos then somehow I found an early version of VF and Collage video.
I’m shocked at how many years I’ve been at this way of fitness. Hoping for many more years.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-24, 11:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Congratulations, event mom!!🥳🎉

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 08:16 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I started regularly exercising in 1990 after the birth of my son, so you have me beat by a few years. I'm so glad I made movement a habit all those years ago - I shutter to think how much I would hurt now and how weak I would be had I not done that.

I still remember looking at the Shape ad for the Firm Vol 1 and anticipating ordering it as soon as I delivered, which I did.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 08:29 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I remember joining an Elaine Powers in the late 1970s but it didn't last long. In 1980 I started "jogging" and a few years later my sister and I joined a Jazzercise class in a church basement. Then I found Charlene Prickett and weight training in 1985. I started doing step with her too. And I've been exercising ever since. I can't say I've exercised daily. I had a few lapses here and there but for the most part exercise has been a part of my life since 1980.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 11:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Congratulations! Did you ever stop and think how your life might be different now if you hadn't gotten into the habit all those years ago? I do that sometimes when I'm feeling discouraged. I'm sure having exercise ingrained into my life has made a huge difference of where I am now rather than what life could be if I was weak and had no core strength.

I've been working out for so long, starting as a little kid when I'd join my mother or aunt when Jack LaLanne was on TV. I began yoga in fifth grade, to a PBS program. When I began working in Manhattan I got a membership at the Jack LaLanne club, all the trainers wore black pantyhose and leotards and high heels. We did the leg lifts, circled our legs in the air, they had a couple of those relic hip jiggly machines and those steam boxes you went into where just your head stuck out. It was the first time I used weights, and it had a glorious indoor pool. Fun times.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 11:45 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Not meaning to hijack - but I love this clip of health gadgets of the past - the Jack LaLanne studio had those barrel roller gizmos, they actually felt good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gonTDvoRn6U
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 02:55 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Eventmom - Congratulations! That is outstanding and something to be very proud of!

High five!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 05:49 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I remember joining an Elaine Powers in the late 1970s but it didn't last long. In 1980 I started "jogging" and a few years later my sister and I joined a Jazzercise class in a church basement. Then I found Charlene Prickett and weight training in 1985. I started doing step with her too. And I've been exercising ever since. I can't say I've exercised daily. I had a few lapses here and there but for the most part exercise has been a part of my life since 1980.
Wow! Our experience is so similar! I joined Elaine Powers around the same time as you did and it also didn’t last too long as life does get in the way, and found Charlene Prickett at about the same time as you did and branched out from there and never looked back!

Congratulations eventmom—great accomplishment!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, getting to know you, vf inspiration