Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-22, 12:32 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This looks good. Wish my library carried it.

Erica
I think her website covers many of the concepts.
Old 06-26-22, 12:40 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Agreed, and thank you again for recommending it. I also liked her book because it was just so different from the others. Not everybody has a family they can gather for a weekend garage cleanup. Some people are alone, have physical or emotional restrictions, time limitations, or uncooperative roommates. Sometimes when I have 10 minutes to kill, I think "let's go unf**k something" It might just be some junk mail, or put away a few dishes, but it's something.
I love the sound of this one. Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 08:11 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Another vote for the Rachel Hoffman book. She has a FB group called Team UFYH where she is pretty active.

Anyone heard of "body doubling", I thought this sounded interesting.
https://wapo.st/3HRH69a (non paywall link)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 10:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Another vote for the Rachel Hoffman book. She has a FB group called Team UFYH where she is pretty active.

Anyone heard of "body doubling", I thought this sounded interesting.
https://wapo.st/3HRH69a (non paywall link)
Oh, thanks for the Facebook group! I didn't know about it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 10:48 AM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Thanks for the Rachel Hoffman suggestion!

Yeah, Flylady's barrage of emails and constantly pushing to buy her products was too much. I bookmark her weekly digest and print it out on Sunday.

http://flylady.net/c/sp.php
Old 06-27-22, 12:05 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

Unf*ck Your Habitat is more my style and it really helps - when I follow it. Rachel Hoffman isn't interactive, you have to rely on the book alone. I like how she addresses depression, stress and generally being overwhelmed as legitimate reasons for having a cluttered (ahem, dirty) space. But she doesn't hold any punches.
Thank you! I've ordered it from the library.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 04:34 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Pat - I remember your mentioning UYH a while back and had bought the audio-book version. I didn't finish it for some reason. I've started it again.

There is one chapter (3, I think?) where she has a rant about men and housekeeping. I found that tedious.

But, some of her insights about dealing with mental, physical and emotional issues in regards to housework are pure gold!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 05:09 PM  
DCW

I requested Hoffman's book too.

I use to wonder how my friends homes were so clean. Then I found out the majority of them had housekeeping services. Only three of us cleaned our homes, worked outside the homes 40 hours a week not including an hour commute each way, PTA, cooked dinner and packed lunches .

I am at the point in my life I have TIME to declutter and slowly tackle the clutter beast. There are only 24 hours in a day.

Different things work for different folks. May each of us find our own clean path.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 09:16 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Many years ago, I tried the FlyLady housecleaning and de-cluttering plan. I was somewhat successful for a short while, but fell off the plan. (The millions of emails didn't help.)

I'm going to try it again. Like my workouts, there will be some serious modifying done. I won't do all her steps and routines. It does give one a plan for daily and weekly chores. We'll see how it goes this time.

She has an app now.

Anyone still using the FlyLady plans?
I tired years ago to use FlyLady and I think I got somwhat overwhelmed.
Old 06-27-22, 09:20 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Agreed, and thank you again for recommending it. I also liked her book because it was just so different from the others. Not everybody has a family they can gather for a weekend garage cleanup. Some people are alone, have physical or emotional restrictions, time limitations, or uncooperative roommates. Sometimes when I have 10 minutes to kill, I think "let's go unf**k something" It might just be some junk mail, or put away a few dishes, but it's something.
Yes! I've never been a stay at home anything. Now I'm alone and working full time. I remember the declutter habit of spending 10 minutes with a garbage bag, going through the house and decluttering by throwing items away or making a give away pile.

Tags
cleaning, declutter, decluttering, flylady, off-topic, ufyh