Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-21, 12:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Hi Donna! I have bouts of sciatica (as you know) and the pretzel segment from the older AM/PM Callanetics dvd, the AM segment, always gets right into that area and makes it feel so much better. (I should pull it out and take my own advice). I know your issue is a little different but I just wanted to throw that out there. Like you said, some parts of Callanetics can exacerbate a back problem too. But that particular pretzel segment always does wonders for me.
i have been a decades-long devotee of Callanetics with Callan Pinckney. i have benefited from many of the same results that others have mentioned in terms of spine strengthening and inch loss. i still use her workouts.

i revisited miranda's workouts from classical stretch and became a believer the second time around. i had some hip pain, and Classical Stretch Season 4 was my savior. note that i had always liked her daughter Sahra's instruction more, but the second time around with Miranda came about unexpectedly.

i tried one of Miranda's newer workouts - Aging Backwards - and also got to listen to the audio versions of the last 3 books she wrote. that gave me the proper mindset and theory behind her methodology. i decided to get Season 4 after combing thru tons of VF threads.

CS really helped me overcome pain in my left hip (old injury) and a shoulder strain earlier this year..

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 01:22 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Can I ask you how often you do these workouts and how you integrate them into your rotations?
Old 10-07-21, 01:57 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thanks Venus!

There is a rehab program on the Callanetics site:

https://www.callanetics.tv/programs/callanetics-rehab

I suppose I could try it free for 7 days, but I also don't want to do anything to make my situation worse!

For now I've gone back to some of my tried and true Yoga and Pilates DVDs but I think I may try some of this once things have settled down!

Donna
Tried and true is always good!

If you would like to try something else, I really like Jen Hilman for back pain yoga. I have a few favorite videos I go back to regularly (for neck and shoulders, headaches, meditation). One of her neck and shoulder pain yoga videos is a tried and true for me

Jen Hilman

Her latest video (it's 27 minutes):
Yoga for Low Back & Hips: 20-Minute Flow to Relieve Tension and Chronic Pain

Here are a few playlists with videos for low back and hips:
Yoga for Low Back, Hips & Sciatica playlist
Yoga for Back Pain playlist
YOGATX playlist
PsycheTruth Jen Hilman Yoga Videos playlist

Or if it's too much to go through the playlists, here is a YouTube search I did:
Jen Hilman yoga for low back pain and hips
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 02:27 PM  
donnamp

Thanks so much, Venus!

Bzar - I also enjoy and get some benefits from CS. There is on episode of Season 4 that really hits the spot for me, I think it is Muscle Chains....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 02:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Maryland does have a lot going on for horses - I never rode, but my DD does. We are not far from the Maryland Starter Horse Trials:

https://www.themarylandhorsetrials.c...r-horse-trials

My DD almost bought a horse this summer - we were shopping for one - it was an experience, but she ended up leasing a horse from the barn where she takes lessons. Probably for the best since she is college student - she is living at home right now, but will probably transfer in a year or two. So...leasing seems to make sense for now.

She is just getting started. I think it was Beginner Novice that she did last year - she and her horse came in 8th, so I guess that isn't too bad.

I'm glad that she enjoys it!

Donna
very cool! I totally makes sense to lease at this point in her riding career. Even if she were not moving, her riding ability can improve pretty quickly and need a different horse. In eventing, if you finish on a number (not a letter, eliminated, fell, etc) it's all good!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 06:17 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Tried and true is always good!

If you would like to try something else, I really like Jen Hilman for back pain yoga. I have a few favorite videos I go back to regularly (for neck and shoulders, headaches, meditation). One of her neck and shoulder pain yoga videos is a tried and true for me

Jen Hilman

Her latest video (it's 27 minutes):
Yoga for Low Back & Hips: 20-Minute Flow to Relieve Tension and Chronic Pain

Here are a few playlists with videos for low back and hips:
Yoga for Low Back, Hips & Sciatica playlist
Yoga for Back Pain playlist
YOGATX playlist
PsycheTruth Jen Hilman Yoga Videos playlist

Or if it's too much to go through the playlists, here is a YouTube search I did:
Jen Hilman yoga for low back pain and hips
Thank You I am one of those chronic suffers, so I really appreciate your sharing these!
Old 10-08-21, 10:21 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Thanks so much, Venus!

Donna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Thank You I am one of those chronic suffers, so I really appreciate your sharing these!
You're welcome! I hope you find some pain relief
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 06:17 AM  
Terry

If you can still do VHS and have an old copy of Trish Muse’s Ab Attack, the first 17 minutes of the second part (stabilization) has been almost miraculous for my low back/SI problems.

I have Trish Muse DVD workouts that are not helpful the way Ab Attack is, but Gilad does many of the Trish moves that help me. His Core and More is probably just as good as what I get with Trish but I haven’t experimented with it yet; only Couch Potato Reviewed.

There is also a helpful DVD by Gary Kraftsow: ViniYoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum and Hips. Many reviewers think this one is too boring to mess with, but I’m OK with it.

I don’t have chronic hip issues, but I was repeating hip injuries until I added hip strength work with a band every 5 days or so. There is a less than 3-minute segment in Slim Series Tone It Up where Debbie lies on her back, puts both legs straight up, then does a move to V the legs out and pull back in. She is working inner thighs, but doing this with a small band around the ankles works the hip great in a very short time. Obviously this can be done without a video, and any hip work will be just as good.

I’ve been making sure to routinely add on hip strength work for 6 years now and I haven’t had a hip injury since. This could be a real preventative measure or coincidence, but I continue to do the work just in case it is real.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 09:52 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Terry!

I do have a VCR and I *may* have a copy of that tape somewhere.

That is interesting about Gilad - I do have that one for sure!

I agree about the hip strengthening, I think that is one of the reasons I have issues in this area - very sedentary job - even more sedentary since the pandemic and my hips and glutes are weak from lack of use during the day.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 12:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
If you can still do VHS and have an old copy of Trish Muse’s Ab Attack, the first 17 minutes of the second part (stabilization) has been almost miraculous for my low back/SI problems.

I have Trish Muse DVD workouts that are not helpful the way Ab Attack is, but Gilad does many of the Trish moves that help me. His Core and More is probably just as good as what I get with Trish but I haven’t experimented with it yet; only Couch Potato Reviewed.

There is also a helpful DVD by Gary Kraftsow: ViniYoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum and Hips. Many reviewers think this one is too boring to mess with, but I’m OK with it.

I don’t have chronic hip issues, but I was repeating hip injuries until I added hip strength work with a band every 5 days or so. There is a less than 3-minute segment in Slim Series Tone It Up where Debbie lies on her back, puts both legs straight up, then does a move to V the legs out and pull back in. She is working inner thighs, but doing this with a small band around the ankles works the hip great in a very short time. Obviously this can be done without a video, and any hip work will be just as good.

I’ve been making sure to routinely add on hip strength work for 6 years now and I haven’t had a hip injury since. This could be a real preventative measure or coincidence, but I continue to do the work just in case it is real.
Terry, thanks for this post.

i recently acquired Trish's Ab /Strength Attack on her combo DVD. will look into Gilad's Core & More - i have lots of his other DVDs.

i want to echo using the hip band. really helps strengthen the hips. you can wear it with one of Leslie's workouts and get plenty of benefit.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ab attack, callanetics, callenetics, core attack, lower back pain, pretzel, sacroiliac joint, sciatica, trish muse