Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-21, 06:19 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I have a portable non electric typewriter that I am hanging on to for who knows why. I also have an ancient Royal non electric typewriter that my father used to do his income taxes for many years. It is also the one I learned to type on. These warhorses were really tough to use--if the pressure wasn't equal some letters would be really dark and others could barely be seen--so I had to learn to equalize the pressure when I hit every key to make it look right. I couldn't bear to give it away and so it sits next to my DH's grandmother's manual treadle sewing machine. I have many memories of my father using that typewriter. It was unusual in those days for a man to even know how to type and I was proud of him that he knew how as none of my friends' dads had a clue.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter when I was in high school. I remember how hard those keys were to hit with my baby finger, but I eventually got to where I could get the pressure consistent among all my fingers, even when typing numbers and caps!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 06:23 AM  
Rhonda

Funny you brought this topic up. Yesterday as I was in a meeting with a co-worker we were talking and out of no where I said I can't type on this typewriter. I meant keyboard but typewriter came out.

Having Flashbacks
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 08:01 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I learned to type on a manual typewriter when I was in high school. I remember how hard those keys were to hit with my baby finger, but I eventually got to where I could get the pressure consistent among all my fingers, even when typing numbers and caps!
You just reminded me

Numbers and caps. I think I still took my fingers off center to type them. My left baby finger never got worked so much 😊

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 10:37 AM  
kat999

I was just at an antique shop that had a TON of typewriters still in stock, manual and electric, reasonably priced.
Old 07-30-21, 11:15 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

NBC had a segment about US swimmer Ryan Murphy being inspired by former Olympic medal winner Aaron Peirsol, and they showed Peirsol typing a letter to Murphy on a manual typewriter. Very funny and cool.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 11:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I think of Tom Hanks when the topic of typewriters comes up. There are many typewriter enthusiasts out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NpK6INIok

I learned to type on my mom's manual typewriter back in the day. I asked for a computer when I went off to college in 1990 and was given a Brother electric typewriter instead. I got rid of it when I got a computer after college. I don't know if you would "need" a typewriter, but some of the vintage typewriters are very cool and I could see how someone would want one. I like the pink smith-corona typewriter in the clip.
I loved that! It was therapeutic sometimes to reach up and wing that carriage back to start a new sentence. And you could rip the page out of the typewriter and ball it up on bad days.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 11:54 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I loved that! It was therapeutic sometimes to reach up and wing that carriage back to start a new sentence. And you could rip the page out of the typewriter and ball it up on bad days.

Enter the White out era lol

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:06 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Erasable Bond - the only typing paper I used but I had terrible accuracy.

Does everyone know that the mother of Mike Nesmith of The Monkeys invented Liquid Paper. She was an executive secretary and a holiday window painter. Liquid Paper was the main correction fluid when I was in high school and college. Dried quickly and was pretty permanent, unless you put it on too thick and it flaked when you typed over it.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:33 PM  
antbuko

I loved typing on both the Selectric and the Olivetti something or other. I typed way more accurately on those than I do on a computer.

This is the one I used to type on back in the 80's and I loved it.

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Electric...-/131136623914

I don't want to hijack Demeris' thread, but did anyone else take shorthand? I never really got good at it but I loved writing it. I contemplated getting a second-hand book and practicing it again. If I could get really good at it, I believe there is a tiny niche market as a freelancer for this skill.
Old 07-30-21, 12:38 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I have a portable non electric typewriter that I am hanging on to for who knows why. I also have an ancient Royal non electric typewriter that my father used to do his income taxes for many years. It is also the one I learned to type on. These warhorses were really tough to use--if the pressure wasn't equal some letters would be really dark and others could barely be seen--so I had to learn to equalize the pressure when I hit every key to make it look right. I couldn't bear to give it away and so it sits next to my DH's grandmother's manual treadle sewing machine. I have many memories of my father using that typewriter. It was unusual in those days for a man to even know how to type and I was proud of him that he knew how as none of my friends' dads had a clue.
Ugh, I learned on a Royal in high school. I stunk at it and the Sister who taught typing finally gave up on me and switched me to a Selectric.

Tags
off topic, off-topic