Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-21, 03:04 PM  
Karla25

{{hugs}} I hope that you can make some quiet time for yourself. Is there a hiking group in your area that you can join? Can you get counseling for yourself?

Can you possibly arrange for them to go to a camp for a week or weekend? When my children were young there were riding camps, beach camps etc. They might enjoy a mini-vacation.
Old 07-16-21, 03:07 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

You're doing a truly great thing. I'm sure you miss your workouts, they will be there when you are able. {{hugs}}
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 06:19 PM  
Venus

Annette, feel free to whine It seems like you're physically and mentally exhausted and your body needs the rest more than workout right now. I'm sure you'll get back to the workouts when you are ready. I'm glad your nephew had someone to call that night. I think just being there for them is enough for now.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:49 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I have no advice, but sending lots of good karma your way. You may have doubts and reservations and frustrations, but what you are showing to these kids is strength and a lot more caring than what they have had in the past. My best to you.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 10:18 PM  
rykram

Annette, I have no words of advice but I feel for you. You have always seemed like a wonderful person and what you are doing now just reaffirms that thought. The kids are lucky to have you guys and I am sure that they appreciate it. Having raised three kids, one currently still a teenager, I know that kids can be a handful and do not always express their gratefulness to us. Since they knew to call you, they obviously value and trust you guys.

Things might be tough now, but I am sure you guys will get through this. You are a wonderful person and you will be rewarded in some way I’m sure. It might not be something physical but I am sure this experience will be a great one (eventually) for you all.

Good luck!!!!
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 01:48 AM  
sugar rose

Annette - My heart goes out to you! I know what it's like to feel overwhelmed by the stress of extraordinary circumstances. Sending blessings and prayers to you.

Take good care of yourself,
Maria

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 06:25 AM  
Demeris

Annette, you are doing heroic work with your grand-niece and -nephew. It's hard, very hard, but you're making a huge difference in the lives of these children.

I have a cousin who fosters young boys--she's not related to them, she simply takes them in and raises them as if they were her own. I admire her mightily.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 07:43 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Thanks so much to all of you for your support and encouragement. We've done some dog walks, nature center, go to the library.

I don't know how long the kids will be with us. The mom is supposedly going through therapy/counseling. She's not a drug addict but has problems with alcohol and anger management. What puzzles me about her is that she's very successful in her career and works hard. She put herself through school.

The situation is convoluted as the kids have different fathers. The nephew's dad is extremely angry his son is with us but he doesn't want to go back to his dad's - EVER, and to make it more complicated the dad lives in a neighboring state so CPS here in OH will have to work with another state's system. The mom says she can't handle him and doesn't want him back. Nice, huh? It's been a while since I've had a teenager in the house and sometimes I find the nephew's attitude unsettling. I'm trying to stay aware of his issues so it's kind of like walking a tightrope.

The niece has ADHD, takes medication and told me when she and her brother are grown they'll have nothing to do with their mom so she'll end up all alone. So, so sad. She'll talk for a minute to her mom on the phone then hangs up on her. She chases my cats all over the place so they are now acting up and peeing outside the litter box.

To add fuel to the fire, we took in a rescue dog two months ago that goes crazy when the nephew comes out of his room. He's bitten him twice. So now the dog spends the majority of his time in a crate barking or outside. When he's in the crate the niece is constantly asking to let him out of it and has done so when I'm out of the room.

I know this will work out somehow. One day at a time, right?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 11:51 AM  
Scorpio6

From One Rescuer to Another

I know how the rescuing thing goes, and it can go on and on.
My question is, since you are not professionally equipped to deal with this and were apparently just the most convenient -- do the powers that be have an endgame resolution plan for when this disruption to your life will end? If not, and if nobody has said anything, you better start asking questions now.
Good luck getting out of this mess.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 04:23 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Thanks so much to all of you for your support and encouragement. We've done some dog walks, nature center, go to the library.

I don't know how long the kids will be with us. The mom is supposedly going through therapy/counseling. She's not a drug addict but has problems with alcohol and anger management. What puzzles me about her is that she's very successful in her career and works hard. She put herself through school.

The situation is convoluted as the kids have different fathers. The nephew's dad is extremely angry his son is with us but he doesn't want to go back to his dad's - EVER, and to make it more complicated the dad lives in a neighboring state so CPS here in OH will have to work with another state's system. The mom says she can't handle him and doesn't want him back. Nice, huh? It's been a while since I've had a teenager in the house and sometimes I find the nephew's attitude unsettling. I'm trying to stay aware of his issues so it's kind of like walking a tightrope.

The niece has ADHD, takes medication and told me when she and her brother are grown they'll have nothing to do with their mom so she'll end up all alone. So, so sad. She'll talk for a minute to her mom on the phone then hangs up on her. She chases my cats all over the place so they are now acting up and peeing outside the litter box.

To add fuel to the fire, we took in a rescue dog two months ago that goes crazy when the nephew comes out of his room. He's bitten him twice. So now the dog spends the majority of his time in a crate barking or outside. When he's in the crate the niece is constantly asking to let him out of it and has done so when I'm out of the room.

I know this will work out somehow. One day at a time, right?

Hugs and prayers to you!! I truly hope you find some comfort from this thread. Years ago I inherited 2 children in similar circumstances and I can totally relate to the covers over the head feeling. I'm very happy to report that they are now both productive young adults doing generally well (still some anxiety issues but both compassionate, independent and hard workers with meaningful goals).

It really is a special kind of contribution and you should start feeling powerful over the fact that you opened your door. We all want a better world but so many only look out for their own best interests. You have had the courage and strength to help.

Tags
foster care, off-topic