Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-21, 09:41 PM  
Leonana

I just bought some Trader Joe's brand soy milk today. Sometimes they are out of it, but they usually have it.

I have noticed that there isn't as much choice of soy milk. I assume it's because coconut, almond and oat milk are more popular.
Old 06-23-21, 07:07 AM  
hocuspocus

I buy powdered soy milk and reconstitute. Now Foods off Amazon.
hocuspocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 07:25 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocuspocus View Post
I buy powdered soy milk and reconstitute. Now Foods off Amazon.
That is a great and convenient idea I never thought of. How is the taste compared to boxed? How hard is it to mix up? Does it stay mixed in the fridge? Is this your favorite brand?
Old 06-23-21, 07:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Not soy milk but I just want to crab about Annie's Gluten Free Rice Mac & Cheese. In one week a box jumped from $2.89 to $3.79 at Stop & Shop! IF they even have it.

What?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 08:17 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I noticed a soy milk shortage but it was like a year or two ago. I would have to go to two or three stores sometimes to find it and then when I did find it, I would buy at least 3 or 4 half gallons at a time if possible (though I always left one behind for the person after me). I felt terrible about buying so many at one time during the shortage but I was never sure when I would come across it again. I'm pretty sure Silk discontinued their "Light" soy milk around the same time as the shortage I experienced in my area.

For at least the past 6 months or so though, the refrigerated Silk soy milk has been well-stocked at Target, Jewel, Mariano's, and Woodman's. (Though Target is giving it less shelf space.)

BTW, so glad we now have a Woodman's right by where I live...it has ALL THE THINGS!!! We no longer have to go to the Asian grocery for one-off things. Plus it's got the taco sauce I like that's normally just distributed in the SW states. It's got the toilet paper I like and unsalted top saltines and my favorite brand of vegetarian refried beans (the Target by me stopped carrying these things...actually think Target never carried the toilet paper). And the cheese aisle is crazy. They also just put in a dozen Tesla charging stations on the side since it's Teslas galore around here. If only Woodman's weren't so huge. Pretty sure it's bigger than a Sam's Club or Costco.

I've noticed the same trend regarding the shrinking shelf and refrigerator space given to soy milk.
There is a Woodman's by me as well. They have really increased the varieties of their products. I am finding so much more there.
Old 06-23-21, 09:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Maybe it is a temporary regional thing???

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 10:05 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Maybe it is a temporary regional thing???
It could be. I'm in Ohio, and I usually shop for groceries at either Kroger, Trader Joe's, or Target.
Old 06-23-21, 02:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

a few months ago, canned cat food was non-existent on shelves. after searching on google, it sounded like cans for manufacturers were experiencing a supply issue. canned cat food is now back in stock.

i also read that car manufacturers are severely behind schedule in output because microchips are behind schedule.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 05:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
a few months ago, canned cat food was non-existent on shelves. after searching on google, it sounded like cans for manufacturers were experiencing a supply issue. canned cat food is now back in stock.

i also read that car manufacturers are severely behind schedule in output because microchips are behind schedule.
I'm still waiting for Diet Barq's root beer (it comes in cans) to come back on the market. Regular Barq's has come back in cans and 2L but I don't drink anything caffeinated and only drink diet anyway.

Something about COVID and the cost of aluminum, etc. made Coca-Cola pick and choose which of their product lines to keep producing.*

Diet A&W is too vanilla-y and I think I've tried all the expensive (and cheap) random root beer brands. So far, the best diet rootbeer I've found is Hank's Root Beer but it's bottled in a 4-pack and is kind of expensive and still a bit too sweet.

I even sent Coca-Cola an internet message about it through their website at the end of 2020.

This was their email response to me (it also came with coupon offer):

"Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company about not being able to find your or your family’s favorite product in retail outlets.

We truly appreciate your loyalty to our brands and are very sorry what you are looking for is unavailable in your area. It’s true, the Covid-19 pandemic has significantly impacted many businesses, including ours. In order to meet extremely high demand for certain products, we have had to temporarily shift our focus toward producing more of those products with the highest demand.

This means that some of our products, will only be available in limited quantities and packages for the next few months. Because of the limited supply, it may remain hard to find some products in your local stores. We are working to resume normal production as soon as the circumstances allow. We know this isn’t the news you want to hear, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding. We would love to offer you a coupon as a thank you that can be used for the purchase of any sparking product . We know this coupon doesn't resolve the issue but it is our way of letting you and your family know we are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your continued loyalty and support."

*This is what I found in a reddit thread:

"There is a chronic shortage of Aluminum 12 oz Cans. "Ball" Manufacturing Corp can't keep up with demand. Beer Manufacturers are grabbing most of the Inventory since both Alcohol and Beers sales are off the chart during this Pandemic. Soft Drink and Soda packers are attempting to grab whatever Aluminum Cans that are available. Coca Cola (who packages Barq`s) and a dozens of other Beverages are now limiting production to their top "10" best selling Products to conserve Can Inventory. Barq`s obviously didn't make the top 10. Pepsi and Dr Pepper/Seven-Up are doing the same and cutting Product to only the best selling Top Ten."

https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/co..._beer_in_cans/
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 10:24 AM  
ellaenchanted

Jello brand sugar free chocolate pudding and sugar free strawberry jello were also hard to find for awhile. They are back in stock but still in limited quanitities. I make a concotion I learned years ago from the CLX program wher eyou mush up the jello an dmix in the pudding. It satisfies the ice cream/dessert craving.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soy milk