Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-20, 11:44 AM  
Harivelo

I was lucky I take after my mom. My periods stopped the year I turned 50 without drama or any symptoms except for increased irritability. I'm glad I didn't take after my dad's side of the family. One of my aunts was prone to these incidents when menstrual blood just gushed and inundated the floor around her.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 05:03 PM  
Cybersparkle

Here is some natural info that may help.
I had been randomly eating lots of sunflower seeds & noticed that there was a slight improvement in my peri PMS, which has been 100xs worse than PMS b4 peri. I'm 52, peri symptoms started at 46, still on my cycle & havent missed at all since I was 13. No hot flashes as of yet, hair thinning, mood swings, weight gain (@ 25 pds) 46 to 51 & last year finally some weight loss but not all of it, not sure why some weight came off wasnt from good diet or exercise, but grateful. I have fibroids & autoimmune disorder.

Coincidentally, someone posted on here at the exact same time about "seeding"
There have been so many other fires in my life that have taken priority (like emergency financial situations, career change, life&death sickness in my family, etc.) I have haphazardly used many methods here & there when I can, so I eat seeds but not according to any kind of schedule. If I did, it really might help. It may be something to check out because u arent able to try hrt or bioiden hormones. Bio idens help me some, I just use half the dosage to make sure I dont overdo & it helps some.

I just googled "seeding for peri menopause" & this came up

Seed cycling is a growing trend claimed to balance hormones, boost fertility, and ease symptoms of menopause. It involves eating flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds at different times of the month to balance certain hormones.Jul 18, 2019

And there is a post somewhere on VF about it, that may help to. You are not alone! Hugs & hang in there!

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 07:59 PM  
pgun3

Seeding sounds interesting but I am confused on how it's supposed to be done.

I have not kept track that well with my symptoms but they started when I was in my late 30's. I would have my regular period and then a week later I would spot for about 3 days. I was told I wasn't in peri menopause but I know that is where it started. I also was getting kinda depressed and crying for no reason.

A few years later I started to get an irrational anger over things that really didn't matter and I couldn't control the rage I felt inside. I was more anxious also. These feelings mostly come out at work. I would have mild hot flashes. I was having a hard time staying awake past 7 pm in the beginning and I was always tired.

I stopped having my period I think it has been 2 years now. At the end of having my period maybe the last 4 years they were pretty heavy, so needless to say I do NOT miss them.

I didn't realize how much my hormones were controlling the anger I was feeling until I started coming to the other side. That has made me look back and think wow. I have just recently started to get that anger back again in the last 2 weeks. When this happens I usually just keep my mouth shut because now I know why it's happening and I know what will come out of my mouth really doesn't need to.

Someone had posted in a thread that exercise helps and so I tried it yesterday and I will say that I did actually felt more light hearted. But today I didn't workout and guess what? LOL I had that rage again. So I need to experiment tomorrow to see if it helps me if I workout again.

I have never wanted to take any kind of medication for my symptoms. OH and I have gained weight but I think it was because of my very poor eating habits. I have lost about 19#'s in the last year by doing 2 different ways of eating.

I really don't know much about what is happening to me. I don't educate myself about menopause. I am not even sure where I am in the process...I am assuming menopause. I am wondering what is in post menopause?
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 09:34 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Here is some natural info that may help.
I had been randomly eating lots of sunflower seeds & noticed that there was a slight improvement in my peri PMS, which has been 100xs worse than PMS b4 peri. I'm 52, peri symptoms started at 46, still on my cycle & havent missed at all since I was 13. No hot flashes as of yet, hair thinning, mood swings, weight gain (@ 25 pds) 46 to 51 & last year finally some weight loss but not all of it, not sure why some weight came off wasnt from good diet or exercise, but grateful. I have fibroids & autoimmune disorder.

Coincidentally, someone posted on here at the exact same time about "seeding"
There have been so many other fires in my life that have taken priority (like emergency financial situations, career change, life&death sickness in my family, etc.) I have haphazardly used many methods here & there when I can, so I eat seeds but not according to any kind of schedule. If I did, it really might help. It may be something to check out because u arent able to try hrt or bioiden hormones. Bio idens help me some, I just use half the dosage to make sure I dont overdo & it helps some.

I just googled "seeding for peri menopause" & this came up

Seed cycling is a growing trend claimed to balance hormones, boost fertility, and ease symptoms of menopause. It involves eating flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds at different times of the month to balance certain hormones.Jul 18, 2019

And there is a post somewhere on VF about it, that may help to. You are not alone! Hugs & hang in there!
I actually did seed cycling and posted about it a few years back. I did it pretty consistently and it did help. But since the weight gain of the past year, it started making my symptoms worse unfortunately. Everything makes my stomach and breasts swell now. So frustrating!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 10:59 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I actually did seed cycling and posted about it a few years back. I did it pretty consistently and it did help. But since the weight gain of the past year, it started making my symptoms worse unfortunately. Everything makes my stomach and breasts swell now. So frustrating!
Yes, I knew the seeding post was from VF! Thanks for sharing that back then, amazing how it coincided with my accidental improvement. Sorry the symptoms came back, hopefully something new will help again if that isnt helping anymore.
Can you refer an author or link to info on the seed method that helped you? Perhaps one day I may need to follow it more closely

Old 02-27-20, 09:37 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Before my periods stopped in mid 2017, I had night sweats for over ten years (I'm 51). At the beginning they were all below my waist so I even cut a slit in a microfiber blanket "dutch door" style so I could just flip back the lower part as soon as the hot flash started and go back to sleep with my torso still covered
Ugh. This is me! I'm 47 and have had night sweats for about 6 years now, mainly below my waist. My feet are always sticking out from the blankets when I sleep! I don't have any issues with flashes during the day and I hope that continues! I started taking a DIM supplement which has helped with the sweating at night and levels out my mood before starting my cycle. The main disrupter of perimenopause for me is fatigue. I continue to do my workouts, but I just don't bounce back with energy the next day like I used to. I still get my cycles regularly, but they are much lighter than in the past (is my body winding down?)

I have never heard about seeding so I'm going to do a bit of research about it. Thanks for the tip!

Lori- Hugs to you for support!! I hope you find some relief soon!
Old 02-27-20, 10:11 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Yes, I knew the seeding post was from VF! Thanks for sharing that back then, amazing how it coincided with my accidental improvement. Sorry the symptoms came back, hopefully something new will help again if that isnt helping anymore.
Can you refer an author or link to info on the seed method that helped you? Perhaps one day I may need to follow it more closely
There are many variations of seed cycling, and I did a combination that worked for me at the time. Honestly, I would just google it, as there are numerous online resources. I did ground flaxseeds at the beginning of my cycle with fish oil, and then sunflower seeds with evening primrose oil at the end. But there are other variations that I also tried, but alas, anything too estrogenic or anything that messed with my blood sugar made my headaches worse. I started seed cycling when I turned 40 (so about 6 years ago now) when all my current symptoms were just starting, and it did help me for a few years. I hope it works for you, I would continue doing it if it still brought me relief, which seems to be quite elusive these days.

Also, many thanks to all for your replies in this thread so far, it really does help me mentally to know that all of this is not in my head and there are others who are also going through this!

Last edited by Lori_Michigan; 02-27-20 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Failed to read original message completely!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-20, 11:22 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
My feet are always sticking out from the blankets when I sleep!
I have flannel sheets I don't think I will ever use again! Even though I don't get full-on night sweats anymore, I definitely sleep a lot warmer than before. Sleeping in beds with tucked in sheets drives me nuts because I always need to be able to stick a foot out at least once every night.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 12:11 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
There are many variations of seed cycling, and I did a combination that worked for me at the time. Honestly, I would just google it, as there are numerous online resources. I did ground flaxseeds at the beginning of my cycle with fish oil, and then sunflower seeds with evening primrose oil at the end. But there are other variations that I also tried, but alas, anything too estrogenic or anything that messed with my blood sugar made my headaches worse. I started seed cycling when I turned 40 (so about 6 years ago now) when all my current symptoms were just starting, and it did help me for a few years. I hope it works for you, I would continue doing it if it still brought me relief, which seems to be quite elusive these days.

Also, many thanks to all for your replies in this thread so far, it really does help me mentally to know that all of this is not in my head and there are others who are also going through this!
I will def go into my research mode & find out more. Maybe it's like an exercise plateau - the body adjusts & then needs a change to get same results. Just keep trying, something is bound to help again! Good luck to us all

Old 03-03-20, 08:00 PM  
desie

Hi Lori,

Last year, I read half a dozen peri-menopause books, and I think I got the most from this one: The Hormone Cure .

The book helps you identify which hormones may be out of balance and what to do about it. Helped me a lot. I used to have high stress but I've taken care of that pretty much with the same strategies as BunnyHop had for self care and arranging your lifestyle for health and happiness. I still have the problem of declining estrogen. Right now, I can boost my estrogen just enough with what I eat so that I don't get bad symptoms. I am managing not to have hot flashes, managing to sleep most nights, etc.

Keep looking for what works. Hang in there.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopausal weight gain, menopause, perimenopause, perimenopause weight gain, seed cycling