Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-20, 11:03 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I have to echo Alta's recommendation for Eden Botanicals. Much of the stuff sold online is adulturated and/or not really essential oils.

I can't say enough awful things about Young Living and DoTerra.

A reminder--all essential oils must be diluted with a neutral oil before applying to the skin except lavender and use caution then. PM me for more information, I spent over 10 years administering the aromatherapy program for patients, staff, and guests.

Sherry, my email is the same.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 12:02 AM  
Vantreesta

What's wrong with DoTerra?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 05:52 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I was a DoTerra customer for a few years, didn't not sell for them. I had some coworkers who are/were diehards so I got into their oils through them.

I liked the oils but got really tired of the MLM thing and eventually cancelled my membership. Having to order every month, and having to pay a fee to use points, etc. I thought their oils were really expensive too.

Ingesting oils is not safe and I always thought it was weird the reps would insist that it was.

I like Eden's Garden, free shipping, oils are reasonable in price and their customer service is good when I have had to contact them. I haven't had to order in quite a while because I still have quite a stash of oils to use up but EG is my go to. I am going to check out the other brands mentioned in this thread though.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 08:23 AM  
Pam

I would like to learn about Essential Oils. Anyone have books they would recommend. TIA!
Old 02-02-20, 09:20 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Sherry - I like geranium oil too. Its property is calming. I don't get sleepy from it, so I like it for meditation (as well as at work when my boss is bouncing off the walls).

Pam - I suggest anything by Rosemary Gladstar! Borrow one of her books from your local library and get started. Also there are some National Geographic booklets at the grocery store by Tieraona Low Dog which are basic and interesting.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 09:35 AM  
Pam

Thanks FirmDancer! I will getting the books you recommended.
Old 02-02-20, 12:04 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
What's wrong with DoTerra?
Besides being a multi-level marketing corporation, which I avoid no matter what product they're selling, they're dangerous.

Their reps are supposedly "educated" not to do this, but to a person they give erroneous and sometimes dangerous information up to the point (and I was a personal witness to this) encouraging people to stop life sustaining medication and use essential oils instead. They also encourage ingestion of EOs, which is not recommended and sometimes very unsafe.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 01:30 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Besides being a multi-level marketing corporation, which I avoid no matter what product they're selling, they're dangerous.

Their reps are supposedly "educated" not to do this, but to a person they give erroneous and sometimes dangerous information up to the point (and I was a personal witness to this) encouraging people to stop life sustaining medication and use essential oils instead. They also encourage ingestion of EOs, which is not recommended and sometimes very unsafe.
I've seen them recommend putting EOs on your pets. And isn't Doterra trying to partner with actual hospitals? Because everyone needs an aggressive MLM pitch when they're lying there recovering from surgery.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 01:44 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post

I didn't realize it was an MLM. Thanks for explaining.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 03:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I only use oils in roller bottles prepared for skin application.
i just bought this roll-on:
https://www.amazon.com/EO-Aromathera...2597901&sr=8-8

The roll-on is designed for skin application, and i notice the smell goes away after a few minutes.

i'm used to using a room diffuser - the aroma stays strong for at least an hour. it uses about 1/4 cup water and a few drops of the essential oil of your choice. got this one from a Walmart store - except it was under the brand name "GuruNanda" and was half the price at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GuruNanda...00ml/496653527

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aromatherapy, essential oils, meditation