Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-19, 09:35 AM  
Terry

I previewed Met-Rx 180 Conditioning 1 a few years ago, then stuck it back on the shelf with the idea that I wasn’t going to like it.

I quit my outdoor boot camp at the end of 2018 because my favorite trainer resigned. I finally put Met-Rx 180 to the “Actually Do It” test two weeks ago. I have now decided that this is my favorite program ever among over 1000 I've done for the past 30+ years. The virtual Mr. Frank Sepe is now my trainer. Some people might think Frank talks too much, but he motivates me.

The Met-Rx 180 Conditioning workouts aren't perfect, but they are easy to fix by going heavy, starting reps early, etc. I assume this will be the same with the Shaping and Definition workouts. Probably the most off thing for me is when Frank says we are going to stretch hamstrings, then he stretches hips and never gets around to the hamstrings. Another off thing for me is when the Cardio Tactics trainer in Cardio Tactics 1 is jogging in place, then says she is imagining running in the park by her house. I am imagining being in her class, and she should be there paying attention to me and the rest of the class rather than wishing to be elsewhere.

The Met-Rx Minutes in the strength workouts are so awesome that I made a DVD called Mad Minutes. It contains all the Met-Rx Minutes (squats, pushups, and burpees over and over for a total of 14 sets) plus other one-minute AMRAPs from two other workout sets. My Mad Minutes DVD has 70 Mad Minutes on it. The most I have done in a row so far: 7.5.

Met-Rx 180 Cardio Tactics 1 and 2 are also good. The kickboxing is only good in parts, but easily replaced with plenty of better workouts. Kickboxing day is a good day to run and do yoga.

The Met-Rx 180 rotation is kind of weird during the first month:
*Day 1 Conditioning 1
*Day 3 Conditioning 2
*Day 4 Conditioning 3

I tried to find out if this schedule was a mis-print as there are some obvious mis-prints in the guide book, but I didn’t find anything. I've been following the schedule, going heavy or heavy-ish, and the 2-in-a-row hasn't been a problem. I did find some articles on benefits of doing strength two days in a row as long as you don't work to failure.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 11:05 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
You are welcome! Please, report back if you get to try it
I'm on a no-buy period for a while, but I found an old step routine of Josee's on Youtube. It looks like someone converted the workout from VHS. I would include a link but I doubt it's a sanctioned release. I'm going to give this one a try.

Thanks again!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 11:12 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I previewed Met-Rx 180 Conditioning 1 a few years ago, then stuck it back on the shelf with the idea that I wasn’t going to like it.
<snip for comment>.
Hmm. That's two mentions of this system. Sounds good - thanks!

(Vidiot shameful confession: I know that I bought a system a few years back (at a good price, of course, ) that I never tried, or even previewed. I think this may be it. Off to search my DVDs!)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Old 09-26-19, 11:16 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Mirabai Holland. Her workouts look easy, and they are designed for therapeutic purposes. I was surprised to feel quite worked out with most of the DVDs in the kit I purchased (level 1).
I have never tried Mirabal Holland. This sounds like my reaction to Margaret Richard's workouts. She's on ky radar now - thanks!

Old 09-26-19, 11:59 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I don't at all understand the concept of sitting and watching a workout video instead of just doing it. No previewing for me!
I call my previews Couch Potato Reviews (CPRs). My blood sugar always crashes during morning workouts if I don't have a pre-workout shake or meal, so I do CPRs while consuming some Calories and waiting for enough digestion time to go by. (I actually sit on my stability ball. There is no couch in my workout room.)
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 12:28 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Hmm...I'd have to say back when the Ultimate Yogi set came out and I was doing primarily yoga, I was so on the fence about getting the set because of Travis and his voice...I was just certain it would grate on my last nerve and I'd hate the entire set because of that.

But nope! Travis ruined me for all other yoga because I absolutely adored him and every single one of the UY practices. I never found anything comparable after him either!

I was very surprised, to say the least!
Travis has that effect on some people... I find Travis' voice soothing while I am actually doing his practices - I did not find that upon previewing. (Bonus: DH will do Travis' yoga with me. Leslie and Travis. Go figure.) I love Travis too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
OMG- too funny!

Workouts I expected to like ,but don’t: recent Tracie Long workouts. I’ve enjoyed her in the past, but I find the recent ones kind of boring.

I want to thank Garrie for making it clear why I can’t get choreography. I always try to learn all of the combinations at one time, which is obviously hopeless. I don’t have much patience previewing, either. I get restless after about 10 minutes and just want to start doing the workout.

Thanks for a great thread.
Thanks nyskier! And thanks Garrie for that great explanation.

Tags
instructors, josee lavigueur, previewing workouts