Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-19, 09:18 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Another semi-lurker here.

I discovered VF around 2009 when it was mentioned on the old Collage forum.

Fitness background: I worked out with Jane Fonda in my 20s (with her cassette tape and hardcover book), got into fitness videos in my 30s (mainly Jazzercize), slacked off in my 40s, and returned to fitness in my 50s. Now I’m in my 60s. How did that happen?

Favorites: I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for Leslie Sansone because she was responsible for getting me back to fitness. I also like Jari Love, Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Gin Miller, Ellen Barrett, Jessica Smith, and Joyce Vedral (mainly her books).

Summer workout plan: I was injured last year and barely worked out, and now I resemble the cat in my profile photo. So I’m returning to what has always worked for me in the past: split weight training. I upgraded my weight bench recently and am doing the regular routine from Joyce Vedral’s book Fat Burning (1991), which features giant sets. For my 66th birthday next month, I’m going to buy myself a new barbell.

ETA: I love Jane Adams yoga for flexibility and balance!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 10:00 AM  
BunnyHop

Hi everyone!

Not a lurker, but I've been caught in a rut of only posting in the Declutter and book talk discussions lately, so thought I'd chime in.

Honestly can't remember how I found VFF, though general online browsing for video reviews seems a likely possibility. Didn't sign on the forum for a while, though, was kind of timid about that sort of thing back then.

Was very active when younger, loved dance classes in school, and would have ADORED CS even as a teenager. (Didn't exist at the time, even yoga class felt exotic)
Literally wore out the old Jane Fonda workouts on vinyl. Wish they still existed in some form, the music was great.

Favorite instructors? Miranda, Jari, Jessica?

This summer after dithering for a long time, I finally joined the local Y. Started with gentle yoga classes a few times a week, then started using the treadmills. Really has helped me feel as though I'm making strength gains.

I'm planning a vacation that's likely to involve a lot of walking, and just wanted to be sure I was in better shape before I make the plunge.
Old 06-26-19, 10:28 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post

1. How do you found VF?
2. Fitness Background
3. Favorite instructor(s)
4. Let us know about your Summer workout plan.
1. I found VF in 1998 or 1999? I had started buying the "clamshell" Firm VHS workouts for $49 each!!! I bought a Charlene Prickett step VHS, and taped Margaret Richard's Body Electric show that was on PBS. I also bought my first Cathe VHS "Maximum Strength" from Collage Video in 1999 and was hooked!

2. I've been working out since my daughter was 3 month's old so it's been about 35 years. I belonged to gyms in the 1990's and did both gym and home workouts in the 2000's. I mainly workout at home now (even though I belong to Planet Fitness, too). I started running 18 years ago on a "dare" from my husband, lol. I ran tons of 5k's and 5 milers with him for about 2-3 years. He stopped running and I kept going longer distances, lol! I now run/walk mostly and do home workouts.

3. My first love is Cathe! She's my girl, lol! I also enjoy Beachbody, Les Mills On Demand, and other instructors. But I always come back to Cathe!

4. My summer plan is (3) weight workouts - (3) run/walks per week. I'm starting to train for some fall races.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 10:42 AM  
angela105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post

1. How do you found VF?
It's been such a long time, I don't even know how I found it!

2. Fitness Background
I don't have much of one. My very first workouts were Cher Body Confidence, Cindy Crawford Shape Your Body, and Kathy Ireland Total Fitness Workouts.
I'm sporadic at best at working out but am trying to be consistent these days.

3. Favorite instructor(s) Jessica Smith, Debbie Siebers

4. Let us know about your Summer workout plan.
Right now I am doing Jessica Smith's Walk On 21 Day Plan mixed with walking. After this, I plan on doing a modified 21 Day Fix. Hopefully, i can stick with it!

Thanks for this thread! Hello Everyone!

I've been a long time lurker and have gotten a ton of great info on this forum. It's enabled me to build quite the collection of workouts. Actually doing them is the problem! Probably why I don't post-I feel like a fraud! But really trying hard to make working out a part of my life, since I am now in my 40's and the pounds are getting harder and harder to get off!
angela105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 10:46 AM  
angela105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
1. I found VF in 1998 or 1999? I had started buying the "clamshell" Firm VHS workouts for $49 each!!! I bought a Charlene Prickett step VHS, and taped Margaret Richard's Body Electric show that was on PBS. I also bought my first Cathe VHS "Maximum Strength" from Collage Video in 1999 and was hooked!

2. I've been working out since my daughter was 3 month's old so it's been about 35 years. I belonged to gyms in the 1990's and did both gym and home workouts in the 2000's. I mainly workout at home now (even though I belong to Planet Fitness, too). I started running 18 years ago on a "dare" from my husband, lol. I ran tons of 5k's and 5 milers with him for about 2-3 years. He stopped running and I kept going longer distances, lol! I now run/walk mostly and do home workouts.

3. My first love is Cathe! She's my girl, lol! I also enjoy Beachbody, Les Mills On Demand, and other instructors. But I always come back to Cathe!

4. My summer plan is (3) weight workouts - (3) run/walks per week. I'm starting to train for some fall races.
How could I forget about Body Electric! My best friend and I used to do it in her basement after we got out of school back in the early 90s. I loved Margaret!
angela105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 10:54 AM  
wendug

Joan (Ms. Thistlebottom)- I just wanted to tell you that your profile pic of the kitty with the invisible barbell made me laugh out loud. Funny!
Old 06-26-19, 11:16 AM  
Garrie A.

Great thread!

1. I found VF in August of 2012 while looking for reviews of Classic Firm workouts. I joined the forum in October 2014 and was approved to start posting August 2016. At the time I mostly did barre and Pilates workouts, so I joined the Barefoot check-in. That's where I do most of my posting.

2. During my childhood I was not into athletics or sports. I was more of a brains and music person. I did enjoy dancing in my spare time, but my parents wouldn't approve of me taking dance lessons (money didn't allow it either.) I began religiously working out in June 2012 (before my junior year of high school*) when I bought the original six Firm clamshell volumes at a yard sale all for $1. After trying Volume 1 (which took me two hours to do at the time), I was hooked. Then after finding VF I began "hoarding" workouts. Now, seven years later and around 300 videos and DVDs later, I am in better shape than I was back then. In April I took a job as a part-time fitness instructor at the local community center, and have enjoyed paying it forward and following my passion helping others achieve their health and fitness goals. Next month I'm taking my AFAA Group Fitness Instructor exam.

3. Favorite instructor? Ha! I have too many to list. My all-time favorites are Tracie Long, Cathe, Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Christi Taylor, Gilad, and Chalene Johnson (in small doses). I also like Karen Voight, and most Firm instructors (especially Stephanie, Pam, Susan, and Kelsie).

4. Summer plan is to focus on building more muscle on my small 5 foot 7 frame. The more I see, the more I want!! (No, I'm not trying to look like Arnold or Sagi ) For now until first week of September I'm attempting to do a Chalean Extreme (CLX) rotation, doing the Burn phase for three weeks but doing the Push and Lean phases for four. A generous VFer gifted me CLX last year and I really want to give it a go. Also plan on adding in some Classical Stretch and other flexibility work.

*Yes, you read that right. I'm 23 and also a male VFer.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 12:34 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela105 View Post
How could I forget about Body Electric! My best friend and I used to do it in her basement after we got out of school back in the early 90s. I loved Margaret!
Angela, I got in pretty decent shape doing Body Electric in the morning and the Charlene step workout in the afternoon (while my youngest napped and my other two kids were at school). I never got bored either, lol!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 06-26-19, 12:35 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
Great thread!

1. I found VF in August of 2012 while looking for reviews of Classic Firm workouts. I joined the forum in October 2014 and was approved to start posting August 2016. At the time I mostly did barre and Pilates workouts, so I joined the Barefoot check-in. That's where I do most of my posting.

2. During my childhood I was not into athletics or sports. I was more of a brains and music person. I did enjoy dancing in my spare time, but my parents wouldn't approve of me taking dance lessons (money didn't allow it either.) I began religiously working out in June 2012 (before my junior year of high school*) when I bought the original six Firm clamshell volumes at a yard sale all for $1. After trying Volume 1 (which took me two hours to do at the time), I was hooked. Then after finding VF I began "hoarding" workouts. Now, seven years later and around 300 videos and DVDs later, I am in better shape than I was back then. In April I took a job as a part-time fitness instructor at the local community center, and have enjoyed paying it forward and following my passion helping others achieve their health and fitness goals. Next month I'm taking my AFAA Group Fitness Instructor exam.

3. Favorite instructor? Ha! I have too many to list. My all-time favorites are Tracie Long, Cathe, Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Christi Taylor, Gilad, and Chalene Johnson (in small doses). I also like Karen Voight, and most Firm instructors (especially Stephanie, Pam, Susan, and Kelsie).

4. Summer plan is to focus on building more muscle on my small 5 foot 7 frame. The more I see, the more I want!! (No, I'm not trying to look like Arnold or Sagi ) For now until first week of September I'm attempting to do a Chalean Extreme (CLX) rotation, doing the Burn phase for three weeks but doing the Push and Lean phases for four. A generous VFer gifted me CLX last year and I really want to give it a go. Also plan on adding in some Classical Stretch and other flexibility work.

*Yes, you read that right. I'm 23 and also a male VFer.
Good luck next month Garrie! It's so nice to have you as a VF member!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 06-26-19, 01:12 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Joan (Ms. Thistlebottom)- I just wanted to tell you that your profile pic of the kitty with the invisible barbell made me laugh out loud. Funny!
Haha, I found it while doing a random search for images related to weightlifting. But now I realize it should read "barbell" instead of "barbells." Hmm, I'll have to see if I can edit it.

ETA: There, fixed it!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group rx, introductions, plica, power music, power music group rx