Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-18, 12:30 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Adding on here, I'm older (50s) also have a big middle section, am short and not thin or heavy and need pants for work.

I'm starting an office job in 2 weeks and for the first time in my adult life, this is an office where they don't wear jeans- it's a quasi govt agency with around 500-1000 people. I'm actually kind of baffled because in the industry I work in dress up is jeans and a polo shirt with your company logo. I've never seen anyone in jeans in this office- however, they aren't in suit/ties either. It's more like it's always casual Friday in an office where you usually wear a suit.

Please list brands, youtube channels, blogs, etc. I finally have a selection of short sleeve shirts -I've never seen a tank top style here either- which is normal for where I live. I have a couple sweaters and 1 pair of dress pants and 2 pairs of hiking pants that I can wear to the office. And at this point, I don't want to spend a lot of money either.

But I at least need a couple more pairs of pants. I want to dress appropriately but at least moderately stylish. I'm going to be older than most of my coworkers.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 02:43 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Adding on here, I'm older (50s) also have a big middle section, am short and not thin or heavy and need pants for work.

I'm starting an office job in 2 weeks and for the first time in my adult life, this is an office where they don't wear jeans- it's a quasi govt agency with around 500-1000 people. I'm actually kind of baffled because in the industry I work in dress up is jeans and a polo shirt with your company logo. I've never seen anyone in jeans in this office- however, they aren't in suit/ties either. It's more like it's always casual Friday in an office where you usually wear a suit.

Please list brands, youtube channels, blogs, etc. I finally have a selection of short sleeve shirts -I've never seen a tank top style here either- which is normal for where I live. I have a couple sweaters and 1 pair of dress pants and 2 pairs of hiking pants that I can wear to the office. And at this point, I don't want to spend a lot of money either.

But I at least need a couple more pairs of pants. I want to dress appropriately but at least moderately stylish. I'm going to be older than most of my coworkers.
This strange hybrid dress code is called business casual. :-) A lot of workplaces opt for this. Here are some links online that can help you determine what's appropriate

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/bu...s-code-4051117
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...y-means-2014-8

Business casual has been my standard dress code for years, except for one professional services firm where I worked, which was regular business attire. A good place for affordable business casual clothes is Loft by Ann Taylor. Ann Taylor is also a good spot but they're are more expensive. Gap would also work, or Banana Republic (check for sales). I wouldn't personally wear hiking pants to the office if your goal is to be a bit more stylish/polished than your peers.

Loft also has different body shapes for their clothes, so you might have better luck finding something there than other vendors.

I know some people like to wear fancy yoga pants to work, but I just don't think that's really appropriate. I can tell them a mile away and I don't personally think that's the right work attire, but YMMV. I'm an HR person, so I might be more conservative than others.

Congratulations on your new job!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 04:37 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

I love the Loft. Their Julie pants are the BEST fit for me.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 06:53 PM  
Jenn R

Try some upscale consignment stores. They will have lots of brand name clothes for a lot cheaper. I gets lots of lululemon workout gear from the one near me. It takes some work and luck to find what you need but it is great when you pay just a fraction of regular pricing.
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 08:53 PM  
DCW

I get away with black, navy blue, and grey pants which I rotate. I figure if I can't remember what I wore to work yesterday my co-workers won't either.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 07:20 AM  
Rhonda

I can't do pull on pants, they never fit right. I have a hard time with pants anyway and buy whatever I seem to find that fit. I need something that I can wear a belt with as I always have to buy a size bigger just so it fits in the hip area.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 08:31 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by weener View Post
I love the Loft. Their Julie pants are the BEST fit for me.
I love Loft pants too!
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 05:51 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Business casual has been my standard dress code for years, except for one professional services firm where I worked, which was regular business attire. A good place for affordable business casual clothes is Loft by Ann Taylor. Ann Taylor is also a good spot but they're are more expensive. Gap would also work, or Banana Republic (check for sales). I wouldn't personally wear hiking pants to the office if your goal is to be a bit more stylish/polished than your peers.

Loft also has different body shapes for their clothes, so you might have better luck finding something there than other vendors.

Congratulations on your new job!
Thanks. I almost never see anyone in skirts though. But, the rest looks close. My hiking pants are pretty much just pants made out of flexible material. No pockets or anything. I'm guessing you could pick them out, but I think they are appropriate for this place. As an engineer, no one will look at me sideways if I'm a little off on the dress code anyway.

And thanks for all the suggestions!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 07:06 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post

Lynn—that’s a bummer going from wearing what you like to business casual at this stage in your career.

Did you see the link to Dress Barn that Gibbee posted. Maybe these will work for you? They seem appropriate for business casual, look comfortable and they aren’t expensive. I am going to Dress Barn this weekend to try them on.

https://www.dressbarn.com/clothing/p...-pants/P-10761

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 07:23 AM  
dnna

Talbots makes a "curvy fit" in misses and plus sizes. The waist is smaller and the hips and thighs are cut more generously.
If you find your size at Talbots, you can safely buy online because Talbots generally is consistent in sizing. the online reviews are also good.
the thing is to shop the sales - the red hanger sale has the season's collection at 60% off and of course if you can go to a Talbots outlet- the prices are incredible. cheaper than Walmart.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, jeans, menopause, menopot