Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-17, 07:12 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Getting to Know You - Thanksgiving Edition

I figured it had been awhile since we had one of these threads, so here is the latest version. Since this coming week is Thanksgiving (in the U.S.), I tried to fit the questions to time of year. Apologies to non-U.S. people. Feel free to answer the questions based on your Thanksgiving or just for the upcoming week.

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be?

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving?

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)?

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic )

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.)

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 07:19 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be? Cranberry sauce. I don't eat it and growing up my parents would buy it and forget to put it on the table Every. Single. Year!

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving? We usually travel to see family for this holiday. This year, it will be great to see DH's family, especially his sister who I call my sister.

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? Ha! We're moving from Maryland to North Carolina. We'll close on the NC house right before Christmas and move down New Year's weekend. It's gonna be different.

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic ) Well, I'm planning on buying a house in which I will identify an exercise area.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.) Every single year I don't sign up for the New Year's exercise-a-thon but I thoroughly enjoy reading the thread. Most of the time I exercise anyway before reading it. It's neat to think about starting the year with people exercising around the world to bring it in. And, I have participated in the gift exchange multiple times. It's a ton of fun.

For me, this isn't a resolution thing, but a lifestyle after moving thing. I want to slow life down so I can enjoy it. It would be nice to not feel like I have to work all the time while never seeing DH. (Gee, that sounds like a resolution... )

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 07:55 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Here are my answers!

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be? Candied yams. Way too sweet for me in a savory meal.

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving? I love spending time with my sister. Since my family immigrated from Europe, my parents don't have an attachment to Thanksgiving. My sister and I adopted the holiday and made it an occasion to have friends over when family was far away.

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? Travelling by train to visit my sister and brother - in - law.

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic ) I'm really wanting a sandbell set from Amazon that comes with a Patrick Goudeau workout.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.) I love the VF gift exchange and have participated for many years. In a somewhat masochistic way I love the release of a Cathe series right around the holidays. It's an odd mix of excitement & frustration with a sprinkling of disappointment. VF seems to have an energy resurgence right around that time.

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year? Savor life and my good fortune a little more.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 08:20 PM  
Tugger31

1. I would get rid of that awful green bean casserole!!

2. I would love to take a family hike on Thanksgiving but getting my family to get motivated is impossible!

3. I'm going to my brother's for the holiday.

4. I bought myself Walk Strong 3. I'm going to be "surprised" when I open the new Cathe set from my mom

5. I love/hate the release of Cathe's new stuff near the holidays and the New Year's Resolutions.

6. I want to spend less money at the holidays!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 09:03 PM  
Erica H.

All of it but the stuffing. I love stuffing so much and only eat it at Thanksgiving. I could just stuff myself with stuffing and be perfectly content.

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving?

My three adult sons will be home for Thanksgiving and it is rare that all of my kids are under the same roof so I am super excited! The whole family will be home together for several days for the first time this year!

Lots of eating and family time!

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic )

Not sure if it's really a fitness gift, but I just bought myself a puffer jacket to stuff in my gym bag so I don't have to waste time putting my coat in a locker at the gym. I have limited time there because I have to pick up my dd so I am really excited about having this for the winter.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.)

Sixteen years ago in early December when VF had Friday night chat, I posted that I wasn't feeling well and another VF member joked that I was pregnant with an oof ball. It didn't even occur to me that I was pregnant, but I have a beautiful 15 yo dd!

Not stress so much about my eating and workouts. This is a big issue for me.
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 09:30 PM  
MathTeacher

Cranberry sauce, yams and green bean casserole

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Playing cards with my kids

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? Trying to get out of at least some of the FIVE gatherings at the in-law's house.

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic ) I bought Jessica's new set.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.) I love to gripe to my VF friends about the exercise DVDs that I ask for but do not get from my family.

I am going to follow Jessica Smith's rotations instead of taking the easy way out night after night.
Old 11-19-17, 09:49 PM  
curious621

Talking

Jellied cranberry sauce from a can, nuts on top of sweet potato casserole

Visiting with family- my parents are gone now but I still have a sister and my inlaws here locally to spend time with. This year all of us are going to my sister's house. I also love Black Friday shopping but am happy that after a few years of opening at 3 some stores are opening at 5 or 6 this year.

I hope to host Christmas with my sister's family and my inlaws. My almost 16 year old daughter is probably having ACL reconstruction surgery on the 27th so that will keep us busy but not in a fun way.

Running stuff on Small Business Saturday at my local running store. I don't need anything really but do have a $10 gift card. Also last December I signed up for an 8 race series that has kept me running all year. It costs a lot up front but did keep me motivated.

I love the gift exchange- so fun. I have to send my package out soon now that I have everything! I also do the New Year's exercise-a-thon.

Be more consistent with my running, not just ramping up before races. Also doing more yoga to help with stress. And more strength training to help with my aging body!
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 10:06 PM  
Vantreesta

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be? Turkey! So not a fan.

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving? love spending time with family and cherish it more as we all get older

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? time with family, shopping, hopefully some baking, going to the Nutcracker

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic ) depends on what I find!

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.) I love the NY exercise-a-thon. The idea of starting the year off right in the company of so many here is motivating to me.

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year? I really want to get back to consistent exercise. It used to be so easy to just do it but then work took over my life, then it got better and I was working on regaining balance and now it will be worse again for a while. I want to be more present in every moment and savor each day.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 10:08 PM  
BunnyHop

It's been so long since I've had a holiday meal at someone else's house I've kinda forgotten. Being able to plan the entire menu has benefits.

I like anticipating the rest of the holiday season. I've already bought some more holiday music to supplement my supply. ( I like instrumental holiday music more than the stuff with vocals, but this year I've decided to branch out a little. Looking forward to sharing the holidays with Stevie Wonder and Nat King Cole.)

Trying to find time for a day out in the larger city about an hour away. Haven't managed it yet, and I'm actually a bit bummed out about that. I try to go before Thanksgiving to avoid the crazy crush, but that's not gonna happen this week so I'll have to wait til mid-December.

Classical Stretch. Don't need more, but when is that actually an issue?

Having my resolutions not to shop online for more fitness goodies get totally derailed by all the wonderful bargains that people find and share.

Fitness-wise I'd like to work out more consistently. Earlier in the year I learned that even a little bit of yoga on a regular basis makes a big difference for me, but life keeps interfering with my ability to be consistent.
Old 11-19-17, 10:31 PM  
cherimac

Dressing/Stuffing. I am allergic to wheat and corn so I cannot eat either kind and never liked it anyway.

I love watching college football and just being with all my kids.

I am working part-time in retail this year so...working and hosting my family instead of traveling to them.

Can’t think of one.

All the fun of gift exchanges

Hmm...I am happy with my fitness routine. I want to make sure I have a fun girl’s outing once a month.

Tags
getting to know you, introductions