Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-17, 07:06 PM  
TX Michelle

Fit Prime and Kick Butt Question

Hi!

I recently dug out my old Firm VHS tapes and have been rediscovering these workouts I first did 20 years ago. Now I'm interested in expanding into the Fit Prime and Kick Butt workouts Anna Benson produced after The Firm. I had moved on to Cathe and other things when these workouts were first produced, so I never acquired them, but I'm finding this kind of workout to be the perfect metabolic level for me right now.

My question is about the Strong Bear and Fast Cheetah workouts. I noticed these were first produced with Tracie Long as the lead, under the Fit Prime brand. There are also workouts under the Kick Butt label with the same names, but with different instructors.

Are these exactly the same routines, just re-filmed with different leads, or are there differences between the two sets? Any preference one over the other?

Thanks for your help!

--Michelle
Old 09-17-17, 07:43 PM  
bubbles76

They are mostly the same, but there are differences. Of course, the presentation is gorgeous in the newer ones. I believe some routines may have been rearranged, and the ball work taken out of the newer ones. There is a thread that breaks it down very well. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: Here is one thread that talks about the differences.
ETA: Here is another thread. This one says that there are basically no differences between old and new Fast Cheetah and Strong Bear. Hmm..I don't agree with the Strong Bear comment, but it has been awhile.

To answer your question, I much prefer the original Strong Bear to the remake, and ot just because I adore Tracie Long. I also really like Keli Roberts. I can't answer about Fast Cheetah, as I haven't done the original and cannot remember the remake enough to compare.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 07:03 AM  
Sandrine

Hi, Michelle,
I recently acquired the new Strong Bear with Keli, and did it for the first time, last week; the original Strong Bear sat on my shelf for years, after I previewed it and was so put off by the busy, busy set that I didn't think I do it without getting motion-sick. (Bad decision, btw, as I don't look at the screen enough to be bothered when I'm actually doing it!) When I finally did make myself do the w/o, I really appreciated Anna's unique approach with the Fitprimes. Like you, I find that they are a good fit for me now.

Like my pal Bubbles, (Hi, Bubbles!) I'm a big Tracie-fan, who also likes Keli. To me, while the routines are largely the same, these 2 instructors bring something to the floor that differentiates the workout. For someone who is planning to do these with some frequency, having both would add variety. If you 're going to reach for Strong Bear, for example, once or twice/week, then it's fun to have both versions. If they're only on the schedule a few times/month, one would probably be fine.

Hth,
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 09:56 AM  
TX Michelle

Thank you both! Sounds like from your replies and the threads Bubbles linked (Thanks for that, Bubbles! I'm horrible at successfully searching for anything . . . ) I "need" to buy both sets. Being a long time VF reader/lurker, this does not surprise me.

--Michelle
Old 09-18-17, 02:33 PM  
cherimac

The new Fast Cheetah is quite different. It was one of the few that was. The cardio portion didn't use the med ball and wasn't nearly as high impact as in the older version.
Old 09-18-17, 06:58 PM  
ncl

I also prefer the original, though I will say I never did find the Fast Cheetah cardio to be challenging enough.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 05:19 PM  
rvagal

I am loving FitPrime and KickButt these days. I am an intermediate exerciser in my late 30s. A health condition that causes exercise intolerance means I cannot do more intense workouts like Cathe.

I have done both versions of Strong Bear and I prefer the KickButt version. The set is more pleasing. Tracie uses ankle weights (OMG) and Keli does not, but she mentions you could add them if you want. I did Keli's version yesterday and I feel a little sore but pleasantly worked out. The first time I did Tracie's version I had serious DOMS.

Strong Bear doesn't have any traditional cardio segments like kickboxing or dance moves. I prefer to have those in my workouts, so I reach for Crunch Time, Push Pull, Metaboost, and Pump more often.

Fast Cheetah (I only have the newer one) is a traditional cardio workout for the first 30 minutes, and then it has 15 minutes of core and floor work. That also messes up my natural rhythm so I either skip that last 15 minutes or use it the day after a workout that doesn't include abs like Tough Tape or Body Sculpt.

I feel like my flexibility and balance have really improved by focusing on FitPrime and KickButt workouts. I also like the slower, steadier pace. It's just right for me.
Old 09-19-17, 08:55 PM  
DEEDEE

Timely thread for me. I just cancelled my Cathe On Demand subscription because I simply don't want to work at such a rapid pace anymore. I still love Cathe's workouts and I've been doing her workouts since the 90's and I'm just done with those kind of workouts for now.

I pulled out my WHFN FitPrime and KickButt workouts and I'm planning to do a twelve week rotation with these workouts. I think my body seriously needs the break from breakneck, joint jarring workouts.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 03:43 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

It's funny looking back at the old 2010 thread referenced, and my old post. Well seven years later time has proven for me that I really only do the newer (WHFN) versions. I just love the polished look of these, and I don't do any Fitprime workouts enough to desire to do both versions of very similar workouts. Of course I have them in case I want to do them I do have a very interesting Fitprime DVD with Crunch Time and From The Ground Up that has a mash up option. I haven't done it in years but I remember it being really intense, so that would probably be the old version I'd pick up most often.

Quote:
Strong Bear doesn't have any traditional cardio segments like kickboxing or dance moves. I prefer to have those in my workouts, so I reach for Crunch Time, Push Pull, Metaboost, and Pump more often.
Wow Shannon, that really articulated my thoughts too on why I rarely do Strong Bear (either variety) anymore. It just doesn't have any cardio! I strongly prefer Crunch Time, Push Pull, and for a little easier, Metaboost and Pump more than Strong Bear. Crunch Time and Push Pull are easily my favorite and most used of the WHFN. I like the "cardio weight training" aspect, like the original Firm workouts, more than just cardio or just strength.
Old 09-20-17, 04:34 PM  
rvagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post

Wow Shannon, that really articulated my thoughts too on why I rarely do Strong Bear (either variety) anymore. It just doesn't have any cardio! I strongly prefer Crunch Time, Push Pull, and for a little easier, Metaboost and Pump more than Strong Bear. Crunch Time and Push Pull are easily my favorite and most used of the WHFN. I like the "cardio weight training" aspect, like the original Firm workouts, more than just cardio or just strength.
Yes, Crunch Time and Push Pull are my absolute favorite workouts right now! With Metaboost and Pump I will have to modify them to make them a little harder, like forgoing the balance stick and using weights on both shoulders. But I do love Heidi Tanner so those are still favorites too. I just wish there were more total body KickButts/FitPrimes to choose from!

I find the originals a bit fussy so I don't reach for those much, but I bet some day I will go through an original kick too. Because of my health condition I have a hard time with medicine ball workouts. There's something about holding my arms out from my chest with weight that makes me breathless in a bad way. And I don't have a barbell. So my current loves are KB, FP, and Firm BSS3 and 4.

Tags
fitprime, kickbutt, strong bear, whfn