Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-14, 04:24 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

aagh! I had several Joyce Vedral books. I gave them away a few years when I decluttered - thinking they were old-fashioned. The libraries near me do not have any of her books. Dare I re-purchase a book that I used to own???
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 05:43 PM  
Betty Boop

I'm really enjoying this thread. Years ago I owned Joyce's 12 Minute Total Body Workout book. I loved it -- for a while. But she made this big deal about how all you really needed were three pound dumbbells. In fact, as I recall, she said she would put them in her suitcase when traveling so that she would have them for workouts while traveling. Well, after a while I was getting negative results with three pounds and not savvy enough to realize that I had to up the weight. I got rid of the book. But now reading everyone's comments, I'm tempted to start up with Joyce again. Edit: Now that I think of it I may also have had her Bottoms Up book.

Last edited by Betty Boop; 07-02-14 at 05:53 PM. Reason: additional info
Betty Boop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 06:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
aagh! I had several Joyce Vedral books. I gave them away a few years when I decluttered - thinking they were old-fashioned. The libraries near me do not have any of her books. Dare I re-purchase a book that I used to own???
check the goodwill before you do - i see her books in there from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
But she made this big deal about how all you really needed were three pound dumbbells.
i read that section in her book too. she says that you need to contract the muscle whilst holding the light DB. i can't vouch for whether this made any difference vs. going heavier. i haven't done an entirely Joyce rotation.

not to be a downer with people's results.... but for those who had amazing results with her, was anyone ALREADY an exerciser, and then tried her method and got sculpted like never before?

i ask because if you've NEVER worked out before and started working out, "anything" will give you results. my first serious, consistent, exercise with weights was w/the Firm. after that, the only other time i got phenomenal results (more weight loss and inch loss) was with Slim Series.

i usually don't contract my muscles the way Joyce advocates. i do focus on the move/muscle, but if anything, i just increase the poundage for more resistance.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 08:20 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
check the goodwill before you do - i see her books in there from time to time.
Also check Amazon if you're interested in acquiring the books. I think I found all of my books for a penny + shipping at various Goodwill vendors there.

Quote:
not to be a downer with people's results.... but for those who had amazing results with her, was anyone ALREADY an exerciser, and then tried her method and got sculpted like never before?
I wouldn't say my results were amazing, but I do know that my arms looked pretty good for my age, which was 58 at the time. No "flag wavers," as Joyce would say. I had been an exerciser previously--primarily used Jari for strength training a few years prior to that (also with good results). The key thing, though, is that I was consistent.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 08:42 PM  
aunatural

I've been working out since 2004 and I did my first Joyce rotation in 2011. I actually got definition that you could see in my upper arms and thighs. No matter how many weights I lift, my arms do not look muscular unless I flex them. Same thing with my thighs. I hated the endless reps in the abs segment but my stomach flattened out and I had great definition in my obliques. Most of the time, I just did the first 2 abs sets and skipped the 3rd because I just couldn't stand to do another rep. The trick for me was going heavier on the weights which I did pretty consistently starting from the 2nd week.

Quote:

i ask because if you've NEVER worked out before and started working out, "anything" will give you results.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 10:30 PM  
txfitmom

Quote:

i ask because if you've NEVER worked out before and started working out, "anything" will give you results. my first serious, consistent, exercise with weights was w/the Firm. after that, the only other time i got phenomenal results (more weight loss and inch loss) was with Slim Series.
When I had results with Joyce's workouts I was coming off a Cathe STS rotation where I had zero results. So, there is definitely something different about the reps that Joyce does. I think I respond better to higher reps with medium to light weights.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 07:34 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Very interesting thread. Are the results with Joyce different than the results with say Jari, another high rep low weight routine? It seems it's the pyramid with Joyce, not just the high reps? I'm learning a lot here. Thanks for all the input.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 09:49 AM  
anniew1964

I have 30 pounds to lose and I just bought Fe Fit, but all this Joyce talk makes me want to get out my Definition book and do a JV rotation. Could I do a Fe Fit rotation and also do a Definition rotation at the same time? Or would I be overworking? I haven't received Fe Fit yet so I haven't even previewed the workouts. TIA - Anne
anniew1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 10:43 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Very interesting thread. Are the results with Joyce different than the results with say Jari, another high rep low weight routine? It seems it's the pyramid with Joyce, not just the high reps? I'm learning a lot here. Thanks for all the input.
I've seen good results (results = fat loss) with both, but there's something unique about the pyramid system. It certainly worked for the old school bodybuilders like Joe Weider et al. Also, you don't have a chance to get bored when you're constantly switching weights. There's no dread when you pick up the heaviest weight and think, "OK, I only have to do eight reps, I can do this." This style of training also seems more joint friendly to me. I still love Jari, but my knees don't like the pulsing reps in some of her routines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniew1964 View Post
I have 30 pounds to lose and I just bought Fe Fit, but all this Joyce talk makes me want to get out my Definition book and do a JV rotation. Could I do a Fe Fit rotation and also do a Definition rotation at the same time? Or would I be overworking? I haven't received Fe Fit yet so I haven't even previewed the workouts. TIA - Anne
That's highly individual, I think. It would be too much for me if I did them on the same day, but keep in mind that I'm almost 61 and a solid intermediate with 30-40 lbs to lose. I did Definition (from the book) last night with 2.5, 5, and 7.5 weights. Lifted at a good clip to my own music (Tiesto's First Flight is perfect for strength training, BTW ), and my biceps and triceps were singing. If I were to combine Fe Fit with Definition, I'd do them on alternate days.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 12:51 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:

I'd been working out for at least 10 years - usually 3-4 days a week. Right before I switched to joyce I was doing cardio/strength intervals (Karen Voight usually) and the firm. I was not getting any results. I lost a pant size in 3.5 weeks with joyce. I did SS later - really never got results. Love Margaret and use her workouts, don't really get noticeable results. Tried barre (bar method, etc.) nothing noticeable. I get results from TA. Note I get results from the two instructors that are pretty uniformly bashed on VF. I have not sustained injuries from either workouts (although there have been a few TA moves that caused discomfort, muscles more sore than I was willing to deal with and figured would eventually be a problem, I eliminated those).
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only