Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-21, 08:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Book - You Are Not Your Pain by Vidyamala Burch & Danny Penman

I'm enjoying this audio book on my library's Overdrive app. I've requested the book version from the library too.

Both versions include mindfulness meditations, at 10 min each. in the first week, you do 2, 10-min sessions each day. the entire program is designed for 8 weeks with different meditations. i've only gotten through the first few chapters, but so far, i like it.

some of the profound remarks:
suffering is separate from pain
you only have the present moment, nothing else
"despite physical pain, my mind was whole"

i've read many books on meditation. i can also see how you can use the techniques for many other applications by viewing "pain" as a metaphor for something else, like overeating, body image, and working with difficult people.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 10:18 AM  
warriorprincess

I would be very curious as to whether anyone here has been able to manage pain with meditation.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 01:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks, jeannine, I'll have to check that out.

Our own toaster/Beth has a good meditation on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7W3HoPexvc

I like Belleruth Naparstek's Ease Pain CD.

There was one on Insight Timer that was good, but I forget the instructor's name.

POSTURE CHECK!

Last edited by Vintage VFer; 02-21-21 at 10:50 AM. Reason: TMI
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 02:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

in the first or second chapter, she states that the pain may not go away. but she does talk about remapping the brain in regards to the pain.

they described that in people experiencing and responding to chronic pain, brain scans have shown activity in the related brain regions. after learning mindfulness, subsequent brain scans revealed activity in other parts of the brain associated with resilience. it exceeded the brain activity in the parts of the brain associated with physical pain.

therefore the pain was still there, and they acknowledge that "your pain is real," however respondents stated that the suffering decreased after learning mindfulness. one of the testimonies in the early part of the book explained how someone was in a severe car accident and endured many surgeries. after about 5 years, they were able to take up running.

note about the amazon reviews. the negative reviews refer to the kindle version missing the meditations, and the CD not matching the written chapters in the hardcover edition. audio chapter misalignment with CD chaptering is typical with audio books. anyhow, if you can get the overdrive version, i believe it has the meditations. it's easier to just borrow the Overdrive edition since you wouldn't lose any money or time since it's free from the library. i've requested the hardcover edition since it includes an audio CD.

the narrator of the Overdrive edition has a very soothing voice - British accent.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-20-21, 03:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'll look for it on Overdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
... one of the testimonies in the early part of the book explained how someone was in a severe car accident and endured many surgeries. after about 5 years, they were able to take up running.
Authors tend to choose the most dramatic and positive testimonials. You don't often see the ones where a method was minimally helpful or did not work at all.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 05:58 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Very interesting, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I would be very curious as to whether anyone here has been able to manage pain with meditation.
To a certain extent I got relief with qigong. I think it was the duality of the gentle movement with the meditation though. (It was during a horrible phase of my arthritis career.) I coupled the qigong with a Lee Holden meditation about visualizing golden light in your body. That was the only movement I could do at the time. Funny, this memory has come up twice in the last two days!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 08:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I'll look for it on Overdrive.
Authors tend to choose the most dramatic and positive testimonials. You don't often see the ones where a method was minimally helpful or did not work at all.
true - i agree.

i used to have left hip pain that annoyed me. been having it since 2010. i think it's really an old tailbone injury. i found toning moves that help, plus doing CS. anyway, that pain "went away" when i injured my right shoulder! because now my brain was focused on the shoulder! the hip has very little pain now, but little twinges show up every so often. did it go away? no, i doubt it. but now my brain is focused on my right shoulder!

it's worth a look. like i mentioned earlier, you can listen to or read the book, and "pain" can be a metaphor for other issues that we face, like overeating, body image, a difficult relationship. they don't make that connection, but i see it that way.

Tags
book, meditation, mindfulness, pain