Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-22, 10:42 AM  
kat999

Sudden lower back pain (possibly triggered by variety of bad habits)

This morning, it was very cold, and before I got out of bed, I did this weird kind of awkward stretch while positioned oddly. I almost immediately felt like something knotted up in my lower back, and ever since then, I have had a lot of impingement of movement, a dull ache, and everything feels sort of frozen and slowed down in terms of my freedom of motion. I can sit upright and lie down without too much discomfort, but I have trouble bending over beyond about a 45-degree angle. The pain is in the part of the lower pelvis that you raise or lower when lying flat on the floor--think the area of the back that when doing abdominal exercises, you are directed to flatten as close as you can to the floor. It's sort of a butterfly shape of pain.

I have a very long commute, between 60 and 90 minutes in the car at a time, twice a day. I'm also on my feet a lot and don't always wear the best shoes. And, of course, when I'm not on my feet, I tend to sit too long.

I've been working out a lot since January, and have been an avid exercises for about two decades, but now that I'm in my late 40s, I think some things are catching up with me. I have intermittent plantar fasciitis that I've basically given up getting any relief for and just work through the pain. I have uterine fibroids, which I know can cause back pain, especially during certain times of the month. I'm in perimenopause. I'm stressed out literally all the time and sleep poorly. I lift weights many times a week and sometimes skip cooldown/stretch, but I also don't lift heavier than 10 lbs. I do suspect my form is not as good as it should be.

I used to get massages about every three weeks with some additional therapeutic stretching and the use of a percussive massage wand, but I stopped those treatments when COVID hit. I also used to go to in-person yoga and barre twice a week pre-COVID but have not been in a long time. Furthermore, when working out on my own, I am much, much more likely to turn to cardio, AWT, and HIIT than Pilates, yoga, or fusion workouts, because I'm stupidly trying to go for the biggest calorie burn. And, again, getting in the bad habit of skipping cooldowns and stretch segments.

I do have a set of Essentrics workouts and obviously can access stuff on YouTube, etc. I also have a yin yoga DVD and Karen Voigt's stretch DVD. And I'll call my doctor tomorrow if this pain is still persisting.

In the meantime, though...not asking for a diagnosis or anything but maybe just looking for other suggestions beyond Advil, lidocaine, heating pad, ice, Tylenol, etc. I did do some very light stretches earlier and that helped, and I think I'll try to lie down with legs up the wall in a bit, as it just occurred to me that might also help. I'm just really, really hoping this is merely middle-age overexertion that kind of "popped" when I did that stretch earlier and that it will ease up. I'm supposed to go to work in person tomorrow, and I'm not sure I can make it through my commute without pain.
Old 03-17-22, 10:51 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry for the pain you're experiencing. Being in a car for that long can further irritate and cause even more pain and uncomfortableness.

I would suggest even something more gentle, like Lee Holden's 30 Day Challenge DVD, as they are only 7 minute workouts, that just get you up and moving without any fear of further injury or pain.

I also regularly take a high quality brand of turmeric, as that can help with some of the pain, too! It might be a good alternative to other OTC ibuprofen's and the like.

Also, have you tried any type of foam rolling, just to help realign the spine, hips, etc. Just be extra careful. There's a lot on YouTube.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-22, 11:03 AM  
kat999

Thanks! I used to have one of his DVDs and didn't really connect with it, but I'll try to do something similarly gentle in that style and length. I don't have a foam roller, but that is a good idea to invest in. I'll see what I can find with that and possibly turmeric, too!
Old 03-17-22, 11:39 AM  
anetta

Does it hurt to get in a bathtub, with some Epson salts, would that help temporarily or can you manage a light walk?

Don't know if that helps. Hope you feel better soon!

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-22, 11:54 AM  
Demeris

Is it your lumbar spine or is it nearer your SI joint?

Either way, T-Tapp or Essentrics/Classical stretch are what help me.

Also, shoes can help or harm. Sitting oddly on only one butt cheek can cause either pain to flare up in me. I also need to remember to hinge at the hip when bending over OR to bend my knees before I reach forward.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-22, 11:55 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
Does it hurt to get in a bathtub, with some Epson salts, would that help temporarily or can you manage a light walk?
I haven't tried, but I was planning to maybe take a bath later, although I'm slightly concerned about getting in and out without pain. We have a big clawfoot, so it's a little hard to get in and out of even under normal circumstances!

I have tried to walk around a little bit, and that seems fine and painfree. It's really just when trying to bend over or sitting too long that seems to keep the ache there.
Old 03-17-22, 12:14 PM  
donnamp

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain! I have been there, done that w/ my back as well.

I think, honestly, the best "medicine" so to speak is to be gentle with yourself. I'd use ice/ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation.

For your commute - I would recommend having an ice pack that you can put on your back while you drive. I used to do this all the time when I had to drive and was having a flare up.

While heat feels good, I think ice is key to dealing with the inflammation.

I think walking, as tolerated and some gentle stretching, also as tolerated is the best thing you can do for yourself right now until you are out of pain.

In general, I think many of us have to change the way we exercise in our mid-life - the body just does not want to be treated the same way. We do, unfortunately, need more rest/active recovery. It is very hard to re-set your mind to this new normal.

Stress is also a huge thing at this time of life - so doing anything you can to reduce stress is so important. Our body perceives intense exercise as stress, so that is something to keep in mind, too.

Hang in there - I feel for you!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-22, 12:34 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Is it your lumbar spine or is it nearer your SI joint?

Either way, T-Tapp or Essentrics/Classical stretch are what help me.
I think on the left side it's more the lumbar spine area, but on the right it feels more like the SI joint. It's very possible more than one thing is aggravated. It's definitely in that general region, though, of the lower back/upper rear pelvis near the spine.
Old 03-17-22, 12:35 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your pain! I have been there, done that w/ my back as well.

I think, honestly, the best "medicine" so to speak is to be gentle with yourself. I'd use ice/ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation.

For your commute - I would recommend having an ice pack that you can put on your back while you drive. I used to do this all the time when I had to drive and was having a flare up.

While heat feels good, I think ice is key to dealing with the inflammation.

I think walking, as tolerated and some gentle stretching, also as tolerated is the best thing you can do for yourself right now until you are out of pain.

In general, I think many of us have to change the way we exercise in our mid-life - the body just does not want to be treated the same way. We do, unfortunately, need more rest/active recovery. It is very hard to re-set your mind to this new normal.

Stress is also a huge thing at this time of life - so doing anything you can to reduce stress is so important. Our body perceives intense exercise as stress, so that is something to keep in mind, too.

Hang in there - I feel for you!

Donna
All great advice, Donna! I really appreciate it. I think the ice-pack-in-car idea could definitely be helpful!
Old 03-17-22, 02:52 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Ice it for the first 48 hours (generally 20 mins every few hours) and avoid the things that aggravate it. After a few days, gentle walking and stretching but don't overdo it. I've been to my doctor in the past few years for so many things and that's the advice he gives me.

Ever since perimenopause has gotten really bad for me, things like this happen to me near daily. I call it my ailment of the day! I got off the couch awkwardly earlier today and now my hip is sore. Now that I'm in my late 40s too, anything that is kind of awkward or too much just sends my body into a tizzy and then it settles down after a few days. They tend to happen the most before/after I ovulate (I still have regular cycles and chart it) and before/after my period.

My shoulder, knee, hip, lower back, heels, you name it, all get twingy or painful or just don't feel right from time to time just from the smallest things that I never would have even thought about even a few years ago. But now I really feel even the minor things. It used to scare the crap out of me until it just kept happening and I realized that it's just this phase of life.

I should also add that since I cut back on my workouts to just 30-45 mins of light walking, weights only twice a week, fusion/CS, Ellens, that my injuries have not been so bad. Light to moderate every day for a small time has been nice. I find that too much cardio and weights is just too stressful on my body right now. It took me a few years to get there but I've really started enjoying the downshift. Just concentrating on nutrition and calories is my main focus instead of working out hard now.

Hope it feels better soon!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain