Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-23, 12:21 PM  
TinaT

New Year's Resolutions that are small

With 2022 behind me, I can say I'm not going big this year with expectations of myself. That be said, I do have some areas that need intentional time. I've decided to make small, doable goals that are obtainable for now. I would love in 6 months to make bigger goals, but I just don't feel like failing.

Working out 3 days a week: should be a no brainer.
Drinking my water goal daily: 8-10 cups.
Stretching: At night before bed.
Nutrition: Better choices and portions.

My fun goal: Is to explore all the FIRMS I have never really tried because Anna didn't create them. LOL I have just about every dvd thru the TransFIRMer era. If I get through all of those, I might pick up more. But for now, I'm using the FIRM Basics to start the new year. (and Rebounding of course).

Anyone else making small goals and commitments for themselves this year?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-23, 12:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Have you ever read any books by Stephen Guise? He writes on the topic of goals. His newest book on habits is Elastic Goals, which he evolved from his initial topics, mini goals. I read his Mini Goals for Weight Loss, which included fitness. The premise was to make the smallest goal possible, like one push up, and try to be as consistent with it as possible. He said that of course you will do more than one push-up a lot of days and that's great, but that the goal is so small that you could do it every day without fail.

I didn't get as small as he suggested, but I tried mini goals and it worked for me. I tried things like:

- Drink one glass of water.
- Walk for 10 minutes (5 minutes from home and 5 minutes back)
- Do 5 squats

I often / most of the time did more than my goal, but I wasn't turned off initially by the goal (which is the point). It really helped me build some consistency.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with small or more doable goals. Good luck!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-23, 12:57 PM  
TinaT

Laura ~Thanks for re-affirming my feelings. I did Upper Body Sculpt with Janet this morning and committed to learning the movement/form and not worrying about heavy weights at this point. I still got a great workout in using light to moderate poundage.
Old 01-10-23, 01:33 PM  
Lori_Michigan

My one and only resolution is simply to drink 1/2 cup less coffee in the morning.

I'm working up to even that slowly!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-23, 01:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

15 minutes of weight training 2x/week.
get to bed by 10:30 PM.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-23, 01:42 PM  
TinaT

Lori ~Coffee...love and hate it. I'm committed to 2 cups in the morning and then the cup goes in the dishwasher.

bzar ~ The muscle I have lost over 2022 is amazingly disappointing. I'm committed to AWT 3 times a week to get in weights and a bit of aerobic effect to help get the heart and lungs back in shape. What a journey it will be. But well worth it.
Old 01-10-23, 02:38 PM  
Mickey12

TinaT good for you! I never make resolutions because I don’t keep them. I like the idea of mini goals as they should be easier to stick with. I also love your fun goal of getting through your Firm workouts. That’s my kind of goal!

Good luck to you and enjoy the process.
Old 01-10-23, 02:46 PM  
fanofladyvols

I don't work well with big goals unless I do those mini goals. Good for you TinaT!

But it also works better if I stop and assess more often. Monthly is seeming to work best and then I can look at how realistic the 3 month/6 months and yearly goals are. I have learned 3 months and 6 months are too far out for me.

I'm curious if that is the idea behind 'elastic' goals...being willing to reset them?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-23, 03:33 PM  
TinaT

I will say, when I lost 50lbs several years ago, I based it on a 3 week assessment. I've been told it takes about 21 days to break a bad habit or start a good one. So I would set a new goal and give it 21 days before adding another one. It's kind of what I'm doing now. The list I gave will be added slowly, but those are the first of many I need to adapt to my life.

With my workouts: I'm not using anything that is considered high moderate or advanced for this first 3 weeks. I just want to move again and remind myself what weights feel like in my hands.

Water intake: I upped it only a little from where I was. 3 weeks of 8-10 cups and I'll assess to add more after that.

At the end of each 3 weeks I would also weigh and measure my body. It's just long enough to see some kind of change, no matter how small. And for me, that's motivation to keep going another 3 weeks.
Old 01-10-23, 05:12 PM  
fanofladyvols

I think that's a great timeline!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goals, habits, new year goals, resolutions, small goals