Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-20, 02:17 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i do for nostalgic reasons. i still have many of them in my collection.

it's true that there's a lot of content online for free yet i rarely use them >1x. i'm at a loss as to why. maybe because it's that i have such a vast collection at home.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 09:57 AM  
MARIKA

I remember being blown away about the workouts at Borders Bookstore. They had a great selection. There was Media store at our Mall that had a great variety too.
Old 04-24-20, 10:19 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I remember being blown away about the workouts at Borders Bookstore. They had a great selection. There was Media store at our Mall that had a great variety too.
Borders had a fantastic selection! I still miss that store.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 10:46 AM  
alisoncooks

I don't know that I miss the workouts (cause I didn't use most of them) but I miss perusing them in person!

I do remember the mad rushes to Target/Walmart after someone spotted X workout or those WW box kits with gadgets!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 12:38 PM  
bubbles76

I miss perusing dvds at Ross :: Got all my Jari Loves and many bellydance dvds from Ross.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 01:02 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I miss mass-market workouts up until about 15-20 years ago, when they put some actual planning into the sets, music and choreography or workout structure. Cathe still does that to some degree, but at some point the producers began cranking out bunches of DVDs using the same sets, same dull music and uninspired, a minute of pushups followed by a minute of burpees programming.

Youtube came along, instructors realized they could do the same thing in their living rooms and that killed the DVD market.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 08:36 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiep View Post
Speaking of Shape titles, I love Get Lean in 4 Weeks with Yumi Lee (Basheera is one of the background talent). Yumi is a fantastic lead and really should have done more DVDs.
I got that one and it is on my to do list
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 08:38 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i do for nostalgic reasons. i still have many of them in my collection.

it's true that there's a lot of content online for free yet i rarely use them >1x. i'm at a loss as to why. maybe because it's that i have such a vast collection at home.
I’m kind of the same way. I’ve subscribed to a bunch of YouTube channels but still reach for my DVDs or Cathe on demand. If I do anything from YouTube p, it’s mostly yoga or Pilates. I don’t know why.
Old 04-25-20, 08:38 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Borders had a fantastic selection! I still miss that store.
I completely agree. I loved that store and miss it.
Old 04-25-20, 08:58 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykram View Post
I completely agree. I loved that store and miss it.
Borders just seemed more welcoming to me than Barnes and Noble. I do not know why.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvds versus streaming, mass market workouts