Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-20, 02:51 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykram View Post
Some were real gems. I recently got a few from Mary’s sale and I really like them for a change from my usual Cathe or Firm or barre.

Are these even made anymore?
Any good ones at Mary's to pick up?!

I don't remember buying much, but it was always fun to scout around Ross and Target way back when just to see what they had!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 05:22 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't miss the mass market ones. Once in awhile, I'd find a great one. I miss the more hidden gems that I used to have to hunt down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 08:29 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I like the idea of going to such a store and buying such a fitness DVD, but I never actually did, heh. I don't remember seeing much of what I really would've liked to buy in the stores where I was shopping at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Youtube and other platforms are leading to a fragmentation of the workout market, similar to how there are so many choices for watching TV shows now. Everyone watches something different and so not much is a shared experience with others. Of course you can get together with fans of the same show but it's not the same as everyone watching the same set of things at the same time. Trade off for more variety I guess.
As someone with what you may call specialized preferences, I'm happier with my available choices now. I'd rather share my preferred experience with a smaller group than share a less-preferred experience with a larger group--though I wouldn't mind sharing my preferred experience with a receptive larger group either.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 08:56 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I still miss going through exercise dvds at Ross. It was fun to never know what I would find. I do not shop there nearly as often since they stopped selling dvds.

A local record store sells used dvds, but it is really hit or miss.
It is the same where I live.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 09:04 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Yes that list contains some of the best hidden jewels in my collection. No one makes dvds like that any more.
It is kinda sad for me. I miss them. A lot of the instructors went on to get their own DVDs. I did an old crunch dvd with Violet Zaki. I never knew the bonus lower body was a 10-minute segment with Janis Saffell.

I also recently did a newer crunch yoga one with Bethany Lyons that had Jennifer Gelardi in the background.
Old 04-23-20, 09:05 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I miss the excitement of CIA video releases. We had some good threads back in the day, anticipation threads and then the review threads. It was really fun.
Yes! I really miss the CIA ones too.
Old 04-23-20, 09:06 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Any good ones at Mary's to pick up?!

I don't remember buying much, but it was always fun to scout around Ross and Target way back when just to see what they had!
I got a few Shape ones. I think she’s still got a few for under $5. I picked up a few.
Old 04-23-20, 10:19 PM  
kristiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykram View Post
I got a few Shape ones. I think she’s still got a few for under $5. I picked up a few.
Speaking of Shape titles, I love Get Lean in 4 Weeks with Yumi Lee (Basheera is one of the background talent). Yumi is a fantastic lead and really should have done more DVDs.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Honestly, I'd buy those workouts at Target or Walmart and never do them. I've purged so many workouts...I don't miss dvds much at all. There is so much awesome content available with streaming and on YouTube.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 12:17 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Without the 10 Mins Solutions workouts, would we have discovered Jessica Smith (now my favorite YouTube creator) and would she have been able to release DVDs and start her YouTube channel w/ followers being added quickly thereafter? While I miss the ol' days, I'm glad that some of the pre-streaming folks have crossed the threshold
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvds versus streaming, mass market workouts