Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-19, 12:12 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Our satellite internet is lousy for streaming. I like it if I can download the workouts on to my iPad to use whenever. (I mentioned in another thread that I'd had over 30 workouts downloaded from BOD and an update deleted them all. Nobody can delete my DVDs!)

I'm more concerned that one day DVD players will be hard to find. I'm a movie nut and have an embarrassing amount of films on DVD. I want to be able to watch them for the rest of my life. DVDs/Blu-rays/4K discs also have extras and specials about the films that are rarely available for streaming. Streaming workouts don't have the pre-mix options as far as I know.

So, if I get the sudden urge to watch "Forbidden Planet" (1956), (one of the few films with a lead character named "Alta"), I just pop it in the player and go. That is way more instant than streaming at our house.
I worry about the downloads I have being wiped out by an update. It’s happened before. I have them stored in multiple places as a back up but what a pain to have to do that.

We have multiple DVD players and I’ve kept them all. If you’re nice I’ll save one for you.

Funny thing about internet and streaming. It used to be really hard for me to stream much of anything. Then we went to Verizon unlimited and I was like, “I can stream, I can stream!” I tried several sites but the charm wore off. As you say, no premixes, If I wanted to mix shorter workouts together, something I often do, I had to switch from one streaming site to another. I became easier to pop in a DVD.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 12:27 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
Kinda in the same topic. I used to watch Asian soap operas on https://dramafever.com. The site went bust. Ultraviolet went bust. https://www.myuv.com. You could watch the digital version of DVDs or Blu-rays that you purchased. I guess having a digital library of your favorite movies controlled by a company is like rolling the dice. You never know when they are going to be sold or go bust.
This is what worries me about streaming. I ADORE the Soul Sweat workouts that were on powhow.com . The classes I loved were available through streaming and downloads. Supposedly if you bought a class, you owned it forever, (to stream or download) and if you paid for a month, you could download everything you wanted during that month. The site went under last fall. I was not notified. The dance studio that produced the workouts was under new ownership, and they were not filming new classes to add onto powhow, so I stopped even checking.

The new owner said they might add more "someday" so I went to check last fall, and all the content was gone. Powhow still had customer service, and they claimed they had a notice up on the site saying they were shutting down.

The new owner of the studio said she was never notified the site was closing, and she lost access to all the classes that were on there.

I am so thankful I bought and downloaded all their classes.

I would be heartbroken if I lost access to all those classes. I'm sure a lot of people lost content they paid for.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 12:32 PM  
sherry7899

We are old school here, and have a house full of thousands of cds, tons of dvds and vinyl. We are not giving up any of them Our almost twenty year old son has a collection of 500 plus albums. We raised him right He rarely does play his cds anymore, though. He prefers albums or Spotify.

My DH and I play cds in the car. We have so many that it would be a waste not to do that. Since we have local record stores with super cheap cds, we buy extra "car copies" for our favorites.

A dear friend of ours who is sadly no longer with us was a manager at a wonderful local record store that also sells cds and dvds. When he visited us he said "being here is just like being at work!"

Alta, I am with you. I love the special features on dvd and blu rays. Streaming cannot replace those...the two hour special documentary on the "Breaking Bad" blu ray set was epic! One of my favorite movies is "The Commitments" and they had a fantastic documentary about the making of the movie on an anniversary edition release.

We have two turntables, multiple dvd players, one blu ray player, and two dvd/vhs combo machines-those record off of TV onto blank discs. I hope those don't die (fingers crossed ) because we don't pay for DVR from our cable company, and they don't even make those machines anymore.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 03:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
We have multiple DVD players and I’ve kept them all. If you’re nice I’ll save one for you.

We have a few spare players, but you never know!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming