Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-14, 07:22 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Oh my....we would have nothing to trade or share the wealth anymore!
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:29 PM  
BigBadBetty

I think the death has already started. I have mixed feelings. I can't get everything I want streaming for fitness videos. I don't want to pay multiple services. I would like to have just one or two services. I think once the services mature...I will be happier. I actually like to redo workouts. I am very slow to catch on to choreography so I like repeats. I would still like a wider variety. As a previous poster said, I would like it to be like Netflix streaming.

I do feel bad for those in rural areas. My boyfriend lives 30 miles from me. He has DSL. It's horribly slow. It drives me insane. It will never get better unless there is a large leap in technology or some governmental help like Rural Electrification Act. The population is not dense enough for a company to get a return on investment.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:35 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I like owning a product after paying for it and would only *live* stream if free or very cheap. At the very least, I need to be able to download a streamed workout so I can do it however, whenever and wherever I want.

Barb S
I agree. I prefer DVD workouts. The workouts that I do stream, I am able to download them and convert them to DVD.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:42 PM  
Vee

Downloads and streaming will eventually overtake DVDs...but I think it will take a few years.

I have completely embraced streaming. I have converted my DVDs into movie files stored on a hard- disk that I stream to the TV. I am ready for the death of the DVD, but I don't think it will happen as soon for fitness vs other entertainment like movies.

We don't yet have a viable distribution model for subscription. We need the equivalent of a netflix streaming that has a wide variety of fitness content as opposed to each instructor setting up their own streaming service as someone said up thread.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:45 PM  
kristiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
i agree. I prefer dvd workouts. The workouts that i do stream, i am able to download them and convert them to dvd.
ditto!
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:58 PM  
firmaniac

...I was just adjusting to being 'all dvd' within the last two years (rebuying or trading for all my vhs titles), then jettisoning all the dvd cases and condensing to a dvd binder/case, and being liberated & thrilled. This thread's truths leaves me feeling a bit clutchy - I hate change My wi-fi likes to buffer, and annoy, so I would get so frustrated trying to do a workout. I like to own what I pay for. So this 'buying a class' one at a time smacks of belonging to a gym that has you pay as you go. I don't know. I enjoyed reading all the wise commentary here!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 09:06 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

I'm in the "I want something I can keep as long as I want to" camp, so I prefer downloads or DVDs. But when I think about it, all I get for my money when I go to a live class is the experience. I don't come home with a DVD. Maybe I will eventually learn to look at streaming the same way.

I like several instructors who offer streaming workouts. One problem is they all charge a monthly fee and only offer their own workouts. I don't have an exclusive relationship with any of them...not even Miranda and Sahra. I can't imagine what it would cost to stream all of my favorites.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 09:48 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14yrbeliever View Post
So just like I'm the last person in the world with an old-fashioned flip phone, I'll be that same old lady clutching her dvds while the rest of you are streaming workouts and flying around in Jetson's cars. lol
You're not the only one with the old-fashioned flip phone - that's what I have too.

I have to admit that while I do like my Nook Color and IPod more than I ever thought I would, I still love books, CDs and DVDs. And I would like to have the option to choose which type of media I want to use instead of there not being a choice. I don't want digital and/or streaming to be the only option I have. For example, novels are great on the Nook, fitness books and cookbooks - not so much. I prefer to buy these in actual book form.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 10:31 PM  
BunnyHop

Some of the rest of the discussion here has clarified my own thoughts a bit.

The technology standards for streaming services aren't yet universal.

For example, on some sites, you have to use a proprietary software, only through their site to have access to the product you've purchased.

Others, apparently, you can burn to a disc or save it to your own hard drive.

The way I see it, not being able to have your own copy, (even if it is just digital) is pretty much a deal breaker.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 10:40 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Some of the rest of the discussion here has clarified my own thoughts a bit.

The technology standards for streaming services aren't yet universal.

For example, on some sites, you have to use a proprietary software, only through their site to have access to the product you've purchased.

Others, apparently, you can burn to a disc or save it to your own hard drive.

The way I see it, not being able to have your own copy, (even if it is just digital) is pretty much a deal breaker.
That's the way I feel. I'm another who has very iffy wireless access in my exercise space--streaming is an exercise in frustration; not sure I like the muscles it works! I'm fine with downloads as long as they're on my machine and I can make backups. But multiple monthly fees for streaming? No way.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, digital storage, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming