Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-14, 03:23 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

The slow end of DVDs?

I'm just wondering if sooner or later DVDs will come to and end. Since I became a streaming workouts addict -- hundreds of workouts literally at my fingertips -- I'm curious about the fate of DVDs. Now I want everything streaming and have zero interest in DVDs. What do you guys think?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:08 PM  
bubbles76

I think you are right but I still like having my dvds.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:13 PM  
14yrbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
i think you are right but i still like having my dvds.
+1
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:31 PM  
sunday

I hope they do. I pretty much use streaming 99 percent of the time. Having fresh content available at any time is like Nirvana for me. I also like they are environmentally friendly.

I know people are rabid about hanging on to dvds, but most likely they will eventually be completely replaced, just as LPs, cassettes, eight tracks and VHS tapes have been.

I've made two dvd purchases this year, and that was only because they were not available as streaming/download.

I've also noticed a trend on VF just in the last few weeks - many, many threads now center around streaming/downloads, and they are getting tons of hits. The ones about dvds are getting much less attention.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:33 PM  
lesia

I agree

I was resistant to streaming videos because I'm a bit resistant to change even though I found I was missing a lot of great workouts.

I have a teacher friend who's been working with a personal trainer 3 times a week (30 miles out of her way) for at least 2 years. She's really shaping up but she's spent out a bootload of money. She's a person that can't get motivated at home to workout. To each her own.

I just signed up for StreamFit (BJ Gaddour) workouts. What I like about this is that they are all in one place, his search options are awesome and the best plug for StreamFit is that he has "playlists". Sets of workouts that go together. Plus the moves that BJ does in StreamFit were almost identical to what Ruth is doing with her trainer, but at a fraction of the cost.

I just started his 4 week SSS (Six Pack Summer Sizzler) program that calls for 3 workouts (3 days a week) 12 min. Strength Circuit + 12 min Metabolic Circuit.

It's 3 days a week and it hits everything. He has over 300 workouts (5-90 min) available. When I'm through with SSS, I can move on to another set of workouts he's put together.

Another plus is that I can do my treadmill or run/walk on the alternate days.

Love streaming!
Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:48 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I hope not. Just having access to what I buy and not being able to own it gets a big thumbs-down from me.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:52 PM  
14yrbeliever

I know DVDs are going and Streaming is the future (coming now), but I just hate to think of all that material on my DVDs that I will lose. Also, my computer is very old and I'm worried it wouldn't be fast enough for streaming.

So just like I'm the last person in the world with an old-fashioned flip phone, I'll be that same old lady clutching her dvds while the rest of you are streaming workouts and flying around in Jetson's cars. lol
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:52 PM  
amatoo

Well if it goes all streaming guess I will be saving a lot of money.
Cindy
Old 06-01-14, 05:18 PM  
dnna

there are still a lot of people in the country that do not have access to high speed internet. we are called "the last mile" but if we ever do get high speed, I can't wait to try all the thrilling new streaming workouts.

donna, on a dial up.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:38 PM  
horsemom2

I like owning a product after paying for it and would only *live* stream if free or very cheap. At the very least, I need to be able to download a streamed workout so I can do it however, whenever and wherever I want.

We do have decent internet access but I do not bother to connect my laptop to our only HDTV nor use the TV's youtube internet app, much preferring to blast my surround sound music using my old dvd player and tv in the basement where my JumpSport 550 PRO is located in front of a huge mirror. Also I edit most routines to remove moves I do not like and to add music before burning a dvdr filled with enough routines to keep me busy a week or two. Streaming burpees with boring MUsic and annoying cuing would create workout dread instead of joy for me. Music definitely gets me moving and keeps me moving.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, digital storage, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming