Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-20-22, 10:09 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yesterday, I met up with a woman from one of my groups for an early 8am walk. I'm not sure if I can do those early ones where I have to drive somewhere again. I don't sleep that well and some mornings are &!!!$&^#%#&$**!!!

We walked about 3.8 miles in about 90 minutes. At the half hour mark she asked me if I was tired (bless her heart). I said, "No. I can walk all day." I told her that I work out and walk regularly.

We agreed to meet for coffee or go to a movie sometime when the weather is too hot. It is supposed to get well in to the 100's this week.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 12:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Monday, Watulans!

On Saturday I took a rest day, yesterday was Fuel #15 Dumbbells and Burpless Burpees. I did substitute cardio moves for the burpees but did do the pushups. Funny but pushups don't give me any problems. I think the endless pushups in STS really did help me to master them and the dread that goes along with them. IIRC Cathe said the only way to get good at pushups was to do more pushups! I followed it with Cathe's "Minimum" Intensity Cardio. I only did the floor portion and really enjoyed it, modifications and all.

FN1, I forgot to mention your "new" outside kitty! DH says I have a gigantic lollipop on my forehead when it comes to animals, particularly cats. Good for you!

TweenerW, I can't imagine having to drive anywhere to exercise at 8am! Like you, some mornings are just *(&! It just about killed me to be up to do Cathe Live at 9:30 in my own house! Are you going to do your walking when you get the heat wave?

horusosiris, glad you checked in! Are you still doing Fuel? I understand your hesitation with getting a Tesla. I have A LOT of hesitation about buying a Tesla, the least of which is the cost. I own a hybrid and since I don't do much driving anymore it is working for me. It's 9 years old, however, and I'm not sure what I will get to replace it. Hopefully it will be fine for a few more years.

ChelePA, so good that you have found the Peleton workouts---there seems to be so much variety! I had to look up Rummikub---looks like fun!

bee, hope you are feeling better! How are you doing with Fuel?

Kate, hope your DH is better and you've finished your storm cleanup. How is Justin doing?

Waves to all!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 03:31 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Fierce Ones! Happy Monday/Juneteenth!

Chele, it sounds like you guys had a great weekend! I loved reading about all of your activities.

horusosiris, we are thinking about the new VW electric. Our friends have one and it seems great! One big difference between the VW and Tesla.... if you have apple phones it just works in the VW (car play or whatever it's called). In the Tesla they have a proprietary system, so it's somewhat of a pain, I guess. Maybe they charge you a monthly fee or something? I can't remember, but I remember it was a downside. Seems like a minor inconvenience maybe, but I imagine on a daily basis it would get to be a big bummer. But, I think it's a long wait list for anything electric these days. We keep meaning to go to the VW dealer to find out, but it never seems to get to the top of the priority list.

cataddict, I think it does make a difference in sustained high heart rate if I start out with more of an energetic warmup. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, or if you meant someone's baseline resting heart rate. Today I did the Tempo Full Body one -- I actually loved that workout! My heart rate was up -- probably the high end of my zone 2. I tried to go as heavy as possible. My legs seem so weak! I'm trying to take note of the workouts I like better and figure maybe some day I'll make up my own combined Iron and Fuel rotation. I forgot to note which Iron ones I particularly liked because mostly I really liked all of them. I haven't previewed the burpee one yet -- not sure what I'll think of that one!

Will Mary Kate's baby have a name?

Vintage, funny about asking if you were tired. I do get up early and drive to walk sometimes. I used to hate it -- just on principle alone -- but since I am so remote now, well, there's just no option if I want to meet someone.

I just read a headline about a giant sunspot aimed right at us. Maybe that's why it's so hot or going to be so hot?

I am feeling better today, finally. I almost blew through a third covid test -- too lazy to go to town to get a pcr test done, but I never did. I am fine now, so guessing maybe the negative tests were correct? Another headline I saw today "The Negative Covid Test Has Never Been So Meaningless".

kittybug, that's very cool that you're loving Pure Barre so much! I think we had a Pure Barre studio in town -- I wonder if it survived the pandemic. I haven't been in that area for a while so I haven't seen either way. Oh, the plumber.... he told my husband there's no charge this time. My husband gave him a huge tip last time and I wonder if it was less work than he was thinking, so he just didn't charge. My husband is trying to insist on paying him something. Nice to keep those hard to find people happy, you know?

One of the movie theaters near us has "retro" showings on Sundays and Wednesday. For Father's Day it was Indiana Jones, so we went to that. It was a fun afternoon and then I made a dinner that I think of as a winter dish -- so hot making it!! -- but it was hubby's request, so..... I made it.

Did I tell you guys that for a hot little minute there I thought I might be going to Bali in July (for work)? I couldn't believe they would have me go when there are people who have worked there longer, and indeed, that is the case. Oh well. Maybe someday.....
Old 06-21-22, 06:36 AM  
Mickey12

Chele we have not been to Olde Brook Inn but that's my old stomping grounds. We moved to Blue Shutters Road when I was 10. Another really good restaurant out that way is the High Bridge House. It's on Route 502. EXCELLENT!!!!

Speaking of gas prices, I have started working from home 2 days per week so I can save on gas. It will save me about $20 per week and every little bit counts. I really dislike working from home though. I know I'm in the minority but I need the structure and routine of the office.

Workouts have been extremely boring - either walking at lunch or cutting the grass. Our riding mower needs a new battery so I have been cutting the grass in stages with the push mower. Good exercise, but it takes a really long time to do the yard. My husband is getting a new battery today.

Have a great week Watulans.
Old 06-21-22, 10:49 AM  
ChelePA

Kim… we were at the High Bridge House once. It was for a softball party many years ago. I don’t think I got to enjoy the real food at that time. Ha ha. Mostly chicken tenders and fries for the kids. I was just recently talking about returning there. Thanks for the recommendation. My brother moved to that area a few years ago. Cutting the lawn is no joke. That definitely counts as a workout times two!!!

Peloton workouts today included upper body strength training. It’s amazing how high my heart rate was during the 10 minute light weights section. Those 3 pounds can be a killer sometimes. Finished with a 20 minute 80s cycling class. And a 5 minute post ride stretch.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 12:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

cataddict - I'll have to go out early to beat the heat. Some mornings, it's easier if I don't have to drive anywhere or be sociable. I can walk to the nearest trail from where I live, which is a real plus.

bee - I'm glad you're feeling better.

I got a nice compliment yesterday. I was checking out at Trader Joe's and the cashier said, "Like the way you are rocking the Diane Keaton look." Well, I was surprised because that is actually what I am going for in growing out my hair. (Well, except for the pink.) I was a stand-in for Diane in one of the "Father of the Bride" movies. I didn't get to meet her though.

Yesterday, I tried a new Tae Bo from YouTube. I could keep up with the pace, but not the choreography. After about 20 minutes, I went for TBP and Daniel.

Happy First Day of Summer!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 01:52 PM  
ChelePA

VVfer… I love when you throw out little tidbits of your life. So fascinating! You’re definitely rockin the hair and the color!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 01:59 PM  
manleym

Kittybug thanks for the feedback re: Pure Barre. It's good to know that you like some of the the workouts with other studio owners even more than Carrie's. Glad you are loving them! Same here with the CRAZY increase of property taxes. The appraisals and taxes have almost doubled. It is crazy high.

Cataddict sorry - wrong word choice. Should have said "different" for Caroline's warm up instead of "new" because you're right. It's the warmup from her EPIC series. Not new. But I do like it better than the one she linked with Iron. Agree that 5 days of the same warmup gets old, really fast. That's why I turned to Mr&Mrs Muscle. They have a nice variety to choose from. Here ya about rotation fatigue. It is real. I actually like the music in Fuel better than Iron and some of her other series because there are fewer lyrics in the Fuel playlist than in the other playlists. I don't have the "girl, you otta wear a name tag" song stuck in my head all day.

Horusosiris we probably won't be getting an electric car. We drive too much and too far for me to feel comfortable with one. Agree that Christmas in June is way too soon and our consumeristic/materialistic culture is missing the point.

ChelePA sounds like ya'll had a fun weekend. I really like how bodyweight workouts can really get the HR up there. It's surprising in a good way.

VVFer love that you're making friends and doing things with women from your groups. Agree that it's hard to get up first thing and drive to workout. Hubby gets up at 5:15 to workout with some buddies a few days a week and it's tough. Having someone with you helps. Great compliment that you look like Diane Keaton, especially since that's the look you're going for. Fun you were a stand-in. Would love to see the clip!

Bee glad you're feeling better. Bali would have been a fun work trip! I did an Eoin workout yesterday that he filmed in Bali. Hope you can go someday!

Kim hope you adjust to working from home, since it's not your preference. Ugh on your lawn mower. Hope your hubby got the new battery. It's been so hot here that hubby mowed the lawn when he got home from work last night. I need to get out there and weed but am dreading it because of the heat (or using that as my excuse - HA!)

Hugs and waves all!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 02:15 PM  
manleym

Workouts:

Friday: FUEL Series 30 Min Full Body Workout - PHA Training Day 4 (really liked! Makers got HR up) + 10 Min Weighted Abs - Dumbbell Ab Workout (used 8 lbs; holding arm straight in air while doing a sit-up is hard for me; have to bend arm)

Saturday: FUEL Series 30 Min Dumbbell Cardio Workout - Giant Sets Day 5 (LOVED! Great metabolic!) + 20 Min Jumping Jack Cardio Workout at Home

Monday: FUEL Series 30 Min Quad Focused Leg Workout Day 6 (LOVED! HR up!) + 30 Minute Basic to Intermediate Step Aerobics Class 130 BPM CDornerFitness #49.
Thanks for the recommendation Cataddict! LOVED it! Did you hear her mention Kelli Roberts & Gin Miller? I would definitely do this workout again! It was fun and you're right - she was less "chatty" with the participants. + CDornerFitness Stretch for After Step Aerobics Workout! + Eoin Finn Blissology Monday Quicke (good stretch)

Tuesday: FUEL Series 30 Min Upper Body Complex Workout Day 7 + Cathe Fit Split Just Kboxing + Abs Premix + Travis F&B Yin Bliss

I like that Fuel is more metabolic than Iron. My body needed the change of pace. I noticed it today while using 8 lbs and doing faster reps during the UB workout. My HR was up there and I was tired afterwards, since I really haven't been doing alot of metabolic workouts recently (which is all I ever used to do.) I'm also loving Caroline’s pink color scheme and the fewer lyrics in this playlist. So far I've really liked all of the workouts. My least fav is Day 7. Like how easy it is to sub or modify a move since Caroline doesn't cue. I mostly follow Caroline's moves, but when I want or need to sub a move I just do my own thing until I hear the beep.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 03:49 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh.... speaking of the music in Fuel -- I hadn't noticed that it's better than Iron -- maybe, now that you mention it. The one song I have really noticed a lot is one that has a word that sounds like "sumo" and she was playing it as we were doing sumo deadlifts once!! I'm guessing it was on purpose. I have no idea what the real word is, but I "sing" it as "sumo" every time!

I forgot about the mention of Christmas stuff in the stores -- that is absurd! Wow.

Oh, and cataddict, I meant to thank you for the Cross Train Xpress warm up idea. I use something of Cathe's for every Caroline workout -- a dvd, not live. I try to match it with the workout somehow, but sometimes it doesn't make sense. It's a fun way to get Cathe in my day, but I hadn't thought about pulling out Cross Train.

manleym, was that Eoin from Blissology? I can't remember where those were filmed. I have been thinking about trying yoga again -- haven't even attempted it since my "injury" or whatever that problem was I had. I miss it!

Kim, I do very little mowing, but enough to know it's hard work -- especially in the heat! Glad the battery is fixed! And I understand having a hard time working at home. With this new job it's the first time I've had a sort of "hard" job to do at home, and I'm adjusting. Oddly enough I find working in the evening to be a little easier for me which I find so strange because I am much more of a morning person!

Vintage, I love the Diane Keaton moment! That's so cool and I'll bet it made your day. So fun that you were her stand in, but too bad you didn't get to meet her.

This morning I did Imax 2, Premix B. Oh what's that? You're not familiar with that one? It takes a bit of manual work. It's the step routines plus as much of the blast as you want, and then you fast forward to the next step routine. I wanted to stay in zone 2 as much as I could. It was very fun!

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in