Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-22, 12:18 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I need to "move" in the morning, otherwise I feel totally lethargic the entire day. But I can't "work out". So I do about 20 minutes of easy cardio, followed by a short, stretchy yoga session. My "workout" is about 4pm - likes other have said, I sleep better when I've done something fairly strenuous.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 12:48 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I prefer to exercise in the late afternoon. I'm not a morning person. But - now that I am doing a lot more outdoor walking, I have to get going early before it gets too hot! It's a struggle.
Me, too. I love how I feel when I walk first thing in the morning. It’s the getting up and out the door that’s the challenge.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 03:06 PM  
laurajhawk

When I first started working out, I did it in the evenings. But I'd miss workouts because I had stuff going on, and also DH resented the interference with "us" time. I tried switching to mornings a couple times and was miserable, but once I finally switched successfully, I loved my morning workouts and kept them up for 15 years or so. DH would still be asleep and I found it was actually easier to get up bc I'm more motivated by working out than by getting up to go to work, LOL.
Last November, I retired, and for a while my workouts were at very random times of day. I sleep later than I did when working, and I'd wake up wanting breakfast, and go from there. I was starting to think I needed to be more regular - I was missing workouts some days - and then in May I had foot surgery. Obvs no workouts for a while, but I was having frequent migraines and generally feeling bad from inactivity, and within the last 3 weeks or so I've gotten back to regular morning workouts - usually after breakfast, but not too late - these are chair/floor workouts because of the foot. I feel WAY better. I do realize that when I'm able to do more intense workouts, then I might want to shift them before breakfast, and when I'm able to walk the dogs again, since our summers are hot I'll want to do that early as well. I think I may go back to getting up early, just in summer.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 05:28 PM  
hypnomoon

I have found my success in exercising first thing in the morning. That way nothing crowds it out and as I often tell others, my brain hasn't kicked in yet to talk myself out of it.

On the other hand, I have found that doing qigong and easy yoga at night to be a wonderful way for me to calm my body and mind before bed.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 05:48 PM  
Leonana

When I was able to work out, it was late morning. I'm retired, and got up around 6:00 or 6:30. But kitties want to be fed, and I would clean the litter box, then have my breakfast and coffee. Then screen times lured me away. It would be around 10:00 am, sometimes lunchtime. But if I put it off until evening, workouts never happened. I would always forget.

Currently, I get up at 5:00 am, I can't sleep very long. I take care of the cats, then breakfast. My exercise now is some light housework and walking when I go to the grocery store. Before bed, I'm able to do some light stretching.
Old 06-20-22, 11:03 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
When I was able to work out, it was late morning. I'm retired, and got up around 6:00 or 6:30. But kitties want to be fed, and I would clean the litter box, then have my breakfast and coffee. Then screen times lured me away. It would be around 10:00 am, sometimes lunchtime. But if I put it off until evening, workouts never happened. I would always forget.

Currently, I get up at 5:00 am, I can't sleep very long. I take care of the cats, then breakfast. My exercise now is some light housework and walking when I go to the grocery store. Before bed, I'm able to do some light stretching.
Retirement has totally messed up my workout routine. When I was working I would work out as soon as I got home. Now, like you, I feed the pets, clean the litter boxes and other daily maintenance things then spend way too much time reading the news, etc. Before I know it most of the day is gone and the workout doesn't happen. I always thought I would workout more and do at least an hour once retired. Not sure what my problem is. Maybe I'm just burned out on everything these days.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 12:26 PM  
Rhonda

My workouts are early morning. When going into office 3:45am, when working from home (twice a week) then 5:45am. Weekends usually start no later than 7:30am.

Have to get it done first thing or it doesn't get done. I usually walk on lunch no matter if I am home or not. Then if I feel like it when I get home I will do a short stretch/yoga (this usually happens more during fall/winter since days are shorter and we can't be outside).

I am called crazy for working out so early, but it is nothing to me now since it has been happing for 30+ years and really I don't see it changing much when I retire, which is still a few years away. Just feel better the rest of the day.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 02:21 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
My workouts are early morning. When going into office 3:45am, when working from home (twice a week) then 5:45am. Weekends usually start no later than 7:30am.

Have to get it done first thing or it doesn't get done. I usually walk on lunch no matter if I am home or not. Then if I feel like it when I get home I will do a short stretch/yoga (this usually happens more during fall/winter since days are shorter and we can't be outside).

I am called crazy for working out so early, but it is nothing to me now since it has been happing for 30+ years and really I don't see it changing much when I retire, which is still a few years away. Just feel better the rest of the day.
I get up at 4:00-4:15 so I have time for coffee, workout and get ready for work. I am at work by 7:30. But 3:45!! You have given me something to strive for. Even though I am older, life gets away from me. I stress if I don't workout in the morning because I am trying to figure out when to squeeze it in. When it's done, it's done and I don't have to stress about it.
Old 06-20-22, 03:02 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I work out late afternoon to early evening. It's all I could do to make a Cathe Live happen "live" for me and it starts at 9:30 AM! I've never been a morning person, and that hasn't changed over the years. I loved it when I retired and didn't have to get to struggle to get up and get to work between 8 and 9 AM.

Funny how our bodies are wired differently and we feel energetic at various times during the day!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 03:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Retirement has totally messed up my workout routine. When I was working I would work out as soon as I got home. Now, like you, I feed the pets, clean the litter boxes and other daily maintenance things then spend way too much time reading the news, etc. Before I know it most of the day is gone and the workout doesn't happen. I always thought I would workout more and do at least an hour once retired. Not sure what my problem is. Maybe I'm just burned out on everything these days.
This is the same problem I've been having. Last year I did great till around Labor Day and it's been a struggle to really get back on track since then. I've do e better this year but still not back to the consistency of last summer.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
workout time of day