Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-22, 04:50 AM  
Margot

Yesterday, I walked down the back roads to our local Fishponds, which were formerly the site of 2 woollen mills. It's not terribly big and it doesn't take too long to walk through it. There are 4 ponds (very small lakes) and a couple of even smaller ones, which are used to raise trout. It feels like an oasis of calm, situated at the bottom of the valley, surrounded by woods at one end and hillside cottages further up the valley. There are always a pair herons, a pair of swans and lots of ducks. The gardens are bursting with colour at this time of year with all the flowers, veggie and herb gardens. They even have chickens with their own painted chicken huts and an outdoor chicken shack. The rooster is really handsome and knows it! lol I love the wooden carvings scattered around (totem pole, owl, eagle, amongst others) and the outdoor buildings with their grass roofs.

We were the only people there; no doubt the rain showers all day had put people off but we were lucky to catch a break mid-afternoon. We ended up at the upstairs cafe and sat out on the deck with a cup of mint tea and soaked up the atmosphere.

VVFR That's quite a hike and very cool photo. I love hummingbirds. I wish we had them over here.
Old 06-05-22, 07:37 AM  
Izzy

I enjoyed reading about all these different places close by your homes, in which you can walk or hike. Reading the details is interesting as well because our areas are all so different.
Old 06-05-22, 11:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm loving reading all of your stories! Alta - you look fantastic girl!

I walked at the Haley Farm State Park in Groton, CT. It's a state nature preserve now, but it was once a colonial farm dating back to 1649. Part of it was carved out long ago to a separate wildlife sanctuary on the coast of the Long Island Sound - Bluff Point - where many migratory birds stop over.

There is a large pond with wading birds, swans, an osprey platform and sometimes ibis. In areas you can still see the parts of walls made from colonial era boulders. There's also a small pond with turtles, frogs, and you might be treated by a close up view of an egret or heron hunting.

VF won't let me upload the photos here so I'll try to put some wild irises and a soaring osprey in my profile albums. http://forum.videofitness.com/album.php?albumid=330
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 04:14 AM  
Margot

I'm also enjoying hearing about all your local walks and the history of the area where you live.

Yesterday, I did a circular walk on our local Common. We live in the hills and there are a few common areas of land on the hilltops around us that are open for public walking. It's a favourite place to hike because there is a lot of open space, has wonderful far-reaching views and in the summer, local farmers are allowed to graze their cows. You also see a few shire horses and a donkey but they haven't arrived yet. Oh and it's also used as a golf course! They fence the green, so the cows don't stop play and also to protect the grass! Did I say that you need to watch where you're walking when the cows are out!

What we only just found out a couple of years ago, is that archaeologists are still uncovering earthworks from the remains of an Iron Age settlement. We also didn't know that we were actually walking by a Neolithic long barrow along our regular route. These collective tombs are said to among the oldest structures ever built in the UK, from 3800 BC to 3500 BC. We diverted our walk by a few steps to walk through the area yesterday.
Old 06-06-22, 08:31 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I got out for more scenic walking again yesterday. There's a walking path around the UCONN Avery Point campus which runs right along the Long Island Sound; after that I walked at my favorite beach. If only this dry air lasted all summer.
Old 06-07-22, 09:53 AM  
Margot

Pat, Your walk sounds lovely and I am always envious of your beach walks. Thank you for suggesting this challenge, as it's getting us to re-visit our favourite places for walking. Since the pandemic, we've been doing the same ones over and over again.

Yesterday, we visited the grounds of a Gothic mansion and did a circular walk up through the woods, down to the lakes, back through the fields and a final long climb back to the car park.

Today the weather looked good, so we drove further afield and did a long hike in Croombe Park. You could walk for hours there. It's part of the National Trust, so we re-joined, which then gives us free admission to all the properties throughout the UK for the whole year.
Old 06-07-22, 12:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow Margot - beautiful places to walk!
Old 06-08-22, 11:11 AM  
Margot

We went to Bath, walked around the city and did some shopping. We then hiked along the river path and on the way back found a seat to sit down and eat our picnic lunch, just watching the world go by. Our grocery store makes these totally delicious but wicked pains au chocolat, so we bought 2 of these as a treat after all the walking!
Old 06-08-22, 11:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oooh, chocolate rewards.

When we lived in Germany in 1976-1978 the locals in our town enjoyed Volksmarches. Groups would gather and walk through the beautifully maintained trails. Beer stations were set up offering local brews. The men would wear traditional lederhosen. I wonder if they still do that? The trails in Germany put the ones in Connecticut to shame.
Old 06-08-22, 02:25 PM  
Margot

Pat, that's so cool that you got to live in Germany. It's a beautiful country and I have fond memories of holidays there, when I was growing up. I had my initiation to German beer when I was on a German school exchange and living with a local family. I remember it tasted much nicer than English beer but a lot more potent than expected.

Tags
hiking, national trails day, trails, walking