Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-22, 11:06 AM  
Hazel Porter

I absolutely LOVED the IRON Series! The shorter duration and slightly longer rest periods gave me confidence to lift heavier than I had done in quite a few years, and I will probably do it again (going even heavier) after I get back from vacation in a couple weeks (unless she comes out with something similar before then).

I also liked that the moves in this program seemed a lot more straightforward -- as someone said up-thread, there weren't many half-reps or a few other things she's done in her other programs that bother my back.

OH! And this is probably dumb, but I really enjoyed the muted color scheme she chose for this series. I found it really calming somehow.
Old 05-22-22, 05:40 PM  
manleym

Just saw on YT that Caroline will have a new series, "Fuel," starting May 30.

I loved her IRON series! Not sure the length of the Fuel workouts, but there will be 30 workouts, 6 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEUVz-epLk

YAY!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-22, 07:16 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

The CG Facebook post says they will be 30 minutes long. Looks like it will be bodyweight & weights.

She will have more info and a calendar on Thursday.

Can I just say I’m disappointed it isn’t another Iron Series?
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 04:07 PM  
gigi

I like the way she changes up her "look" for each series. She shared these links on FB about Fuel:
Fuel Brief
Full Color Printable Calendar

Full Black and White Printable Calendar

Disclaimer: I have yet to complete a full CG program.
Old 05-30-22, 12:56 AM  
bex

I'm pretty interested in Fuel. I've been finding 30 min workouts easier to get myself into but I never tried HEAT - I think it was building on the intensity of EPIC 2 and would be too hard for me.

I get the feeling that Caroline's trying to widen her audience so Fuel will be more doable at all levels.

PS I might mix & match IRON and FUEL. Maybe week 1 of Fuel, Week 1 of IRON, then Week 2 of Fuel...
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 07:18 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I'm pretty interested in Fuel. I've been finding 30 min workouts easier to get myself into but I never tried HEAT - I think it was building on the intensity of EPIC 2 and would be too hard for me.

I get the feeling that Caroline's trying to widen her audience so Fuel will be more doable at all levels.

PS I might mix & match IRON and FUEL. Maybe week 1 of Fuel, Week 1 of IRON, then Week 2 of Fuel...
Alternating is an interesting concept. I am waiting for a full week of Fuel to see if I want to do it. Though, my pattern is to start, do a few weeks, then something else catches my eye. I like your idea of alternating. I think Caroline has a clean and professional set up. It is very aesthetically pleasing.
Old 05-30-22, 10:17 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’m in round two of the Iron Series (just started the 3rd week). I’m going a little heavier with the weights this time. I really hope Caroline does a full Iron Series at some point.

I previewed the first Fuel workout. It reminds me of Heather Robertson’s cardio & weights workouts. I wonder if the whole series will be a mix of dumbbell exercises and body weight exercises. I love all the pink though, just like I liked the metallic colors in the Iron Series. I may try it after I finish up.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 07:36 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I’m late to your CG party as I completely fell off the VF site several months ago. I don’t know why. I was in a check in group too and realized I had missed two weeks of posting and was too embarrassed to come back. Hangs head in shame. I will confess I’m am a HUGE fan of CG and will try to keep my comments under control as I know she isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I have done all of her Epics and Iron. Fuel is more metabolic. I really get sweaty so far (all two of the workouts LOl). I’m loving it though. I did not love Iron and I don’t know why because Iron was kind of her version of Slow and Heavy and I usually like lifting that way. I expected Fuel to be like Heat and it is. She said when she made Heat that she likes to do shorter workouts heading into summer so she can spend more time outside enjoying the sun. I missed the cardio in Iron. I added my own but I’ve gotten used to CG putting it in and then I add on my own thing but at least I had a good programmed session from CG if I picked something that wasn’t as effective if that makes any sense.

Just one more thing in CG. I don’t think she really tries to make workouts that are complete per session. Instead if you do her whole rotation it will end up being complete. Clearly she has never been out of shape a day in her life so personally she is always building muscle or maintaining. She works out 5 days a week and fitness is her job. She’s not worried about fitting it in before work or other reasons people want a complete upper body or lower body in one session kind of thing. If she does part of the upper body one week, she’ll hit the other part later in the week or the following week. I find her rotations to be thorough when looked at as a whole. She is very light on bicep work which disappoints me because I like bicep work. However triceps actually have more muscles and biceps get worked in back work and using the weights for other body parts which is why I think she doesn’t focus on them as much. She loves shoulders! Haha.

I think she is user friendly to anyone. Just lift whatever weights you find challenging. Her weight amount is just a guide like how Cathe uses them. If you don’t want to commit to a 90 day or 60 day rotation which I completely understand, try one of her week long rotations, complexes, temp, calisthenics, 100 reps or Beastmode which I think was a two week one. They all have their own personality. I utilize them when she’s in between rotations as I’m so spoiled by her rotations that when they’re done I spin out in my brain and don’t know what to do. Lol.

I will give a shout out to fitnesskaykay on YouTube too. She did a 30 day rotation in January called Rise and Shine. Lots of weights and cardio and also mobility in there. Lots of variety! I really enjoyed that one too. I know she’s not CG.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 09:42 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I started Iron Series in late April (only 3 days/week) then went on vacation for two weeks in May. I got back last week but had inertia re-starting my strength training. I did #9 total body on Monday with the staple exercise of squat and press. I knew I was in trouble just after the workout when my legs were shaking going up and down the stairs. I am SO sore now, especially sitting down or going down stairs. I kept track of my reps and went back to count this morning. I did 225 lower body reps (squats or lunges) using either 10 lb or 8 lb dumbbells.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-22, 09:22 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I’m in round two of the Iron Series (just started the 3rd week). I’m going a little heavier with the weights this time. I really hope Caroline does a full Iron Series at some point.

I previewed the first Fuel workout. It reminds me of Heather Robertson’s cardio & weights workouts. I wonder if the whole series will be a mix of dumbbell exercises and body weight exercises. I love all the pink though, just like I liked the metallic colors in the Iron Series. I may try it after I finish up.
How much cardio are you doing with the Iron Series? I like the pink too and I liked that she changes the colors up with each series. I'm not fit enough for Fuel. I keept toying with the idea of starting Iron, now that I'm on summer break.

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors