Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-22, 08:01 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
The biggest problem I see with people regarding Essentrics (well, any exercise program with frontal flexion) and form is not pulling the tailbone down or having a small pelvic tilt when the arms are extended in front of the body. I sound like a broken record, and just yesterday did an "Essentrics 101" for my clients on Zoom. That lengthening of the sacrum is what is providing space between those lower back vertebrae and preventing loading up your lumbar spine.

If anyone has trouble with this, please message me and I'll do a free Zoom so we can figure out why you're having pain.
I just might take you up on this! I didn't mean to imply that Essentrics caused my pain, it just seemed to exacerbate the pain I was already having if that makes sense? I feel like my SI joint pops in and out at times especially if I'm getting out of the car or standing up from sitting. I've been sticking to episode 1020 back pain relief which is all floor and that seems to help... But I think my issues are weak stabilizing muscles including core, as well as an SI joint that is a little bit hyper mobile. I figure that is due to the stress of three pregnancies and long-standing muscle weaknesses, diastasis recti causing me to have no abdominal support, etc. I found Annie Pilates physical therapy on YouTube and she has an SI joint video that is really good too. I've been trying to avoid the pelvic " shearing " that lunge positions create which is why I've stuck to floor exercises right now, and also it's easier for me to access my glute muscles when I'm not standing. My quads want to take over.

Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything... I did have the same problems with Jessica, I just didn't understand why at the time. This might be why her strength routines in particular have never jived with me very well.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 10:04 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I'm glad to hear that!

I had a huge"aha" moment recently with some online training. It's really pulling the tailbone down, not such a huge, forceful tuck under (which also can cause strain).
What really surprises me is that no instructors that I'm familiar with (other than you) even warn about this. Ellen does a lot of forward flexion, too, and I don't remember her ever mentioning any precautions. She does use a modifier, but that modifier just doesn't go down as far - there's still forward flexion. I need to be really careful with her, Jessica and others and make sure I remember to round my tailbone under or I'll suffer the consequences later.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 06:20 AM  
Elsie

Thanks so much MoFirmer for posting the clip link!
I think I like the Pilates core session, but not the rest of this particular dvd. So I'm looking forward to clips to come!! (Getting a dvd only for the bonus portion wouldn't make sense!! Lol)
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 07:27 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
What really surprises me is that no instructors that I'm familiar with (other than you) even warn about this. Ellen does a lot of forward flexion, too, and I don't remember her ever mentioning any precautions. She does use a modifier, but that modifier just doesn't go down as far - there's still forward flexion. I need to be really careful with her, Jessica and others and make sure I remember to round my tailbone under or I'll suffer the consequences later.
In her later years, Teresa Tapp talked about 'lengthening from the tailbone' in a couple of workouts, which was very different from her 'curling under' talk for most of her career.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 08:07 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I wish Ellen would talk about this....especially with her "Zig Zag" move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
In her later years, Teresa Tapp talked about 'lengthening from the tailbone' in a couple of workouts, which was very different from her 'curling under' talk for most of her career.
I remember Teresa in her "singsongy" chant instruction saying "keep your knee--eees bent and your tail bone down".

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 11:04 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
I'm buying ALL of the DVDS. I am excited for the sliding disc work!!
They do look good! I have gliding discs, and don't use them often since I don't a lot of workouts that use them, I also think I could use my slide board for these workouts. I can't wait to see clips of the other workouts.

Funny that Cathe and Jessica have the same or similar focus for their next series "strength and recovery".

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 06:00 PM  
CharM

walk a 5k https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09YDPGM8H
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 07:24 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
Thank you, CharM! This one….I will definitely buy!!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 07:40 PM  
nschultz

Cannot wait for the 5k DVD. I’ve always loved Jessica’s walking workouts.
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 07:55 PM  
donnamp

The walking workout looks great!!

I hope these come out soon!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fusion, jessica smith, seinfeld, stretch, strong + centered, strong+centered series, sunny workouts