Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-20, 10:30 AM  
bubbles76

Bosu Question Again

This may have been asked (maybe even by me), but I'm having a heck of a time finding the thread!

My knees are beginning to hurt again when doing step, despite using a pad under the step. I probably need new sneakers, but am also thinking that using a Bosu for some of my step workouts would work nicely. Step is my favorite form of cardio! Also thinking I could probably use for some workouts that require some higher intensity moves with quick transitions (I'm looking at you Ript90Fit Lung Burner!). And of course, I hear a Bosu is great for core training and that there are some great Bosu specific workouts out there.

Has anyone found that using a Bosu for step to be a good substitute? If so, what size Bosu do you recommend? I am 5'5" if that helps.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day

Last edited by bubbles76; 04-30-20 at 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 11:10 AM  
owltx

I my BOSU ball. In a big, big way.

Once I was comfortable with the BOSU, and had ideas on how to use it, I incorporated it into my regular routines in place of the step on more simple step moves (i.e. not highly choreographed). For example, Cathe's HIIT 40/20 or XTrain Cardio Leg Blast or Athletic Step. This ups the cardio factor a bit, and greatly increases the balance work and reduces impact (like you, one main reason I wanted to get one). I will also work it into strength DVDs, using it for light weight squats, lunges, hip thrusts, push ups, overheads, side planks, etc.

For specific BOSU workouts, I love Seasun's BOSU Blast workout - both the cardio (basically a step workout on the BOSU) and the core are creative and challenging. If you can find it (some are on youtube), Rob Glick has a couple of good BOSU cardio step workouts. Mindy Mylrea has some great workouts that incorporate the BOSU - not step, but lots of ideas on how to use it. If you get a BOSU, I would definitely recommend seeking out her BOSU Total Body Blast workout. Gives a great workout, and great ideas for incorporating BOSU moves into other workouts.

In short, for me, it was a great purchase. Really helped me achieve better balance goals. I don't know anything about the size - I have a pro trainer I got on a lightning deal on amazon and I am 5' 4" and it seems good to me.

HTH, good luck with your decision!
Old 04-30-20, 12:42 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi bubbles!

I have a BOSU (the original regular size one, I "think" it's the same size as the pro trainer) but don't use it that often. IMHO it's a harder substitute for step and not necessarily better for knees. There is a great potential for twisting the knee joint. I've tried using it for step workouts and some work better than others, and there is still impact since sometimes you can hit the floor pretty hard from the piece of equipment. It takes some time and practice (and coordination) to feel you are in control of your balance enough not to land hard or at an odd angle.

I'm really not trying to be negative about it, as I do use it and find it to be a refreshing change of pace, just adding some cautionary comments. It can be a great tool for core/plank work. However, if you want it as a substitute for a step as a lower impact option, not so sure it fits that bill, at least not right out of the gate. If you're willing to accept a learning curve it does give you a chance to be creative since there are a few (but not a whole lot) of specific BOSU workouts that Stephanie mentioned. I too love the Seasun BOSU workout, but would not call it low impact at least the way I do it--bouncing and landing on the floor at least as hard as I would from step. I really need to incorporate it more into weight workout, but I'm thinking you were looking more at BOSU for cardio.

Hope my rambling comments help! I suspect there will be cut rate BOSUs for sale when people can go back to gyms for "real" workouts (tongue firmly in cheek) and get rid of equipment they bought for isolation.

ETA I'm almost 5'6" and the regular size is fine for me.

Last edited by cataddict; 04-30-20 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot something!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 01:04 PM  
owltx

I would definitely agree with the cautionary advice cataddict gives. That is why I mentioned I wouldn't really use it for highly choreographed step. I don't think it's great for a lot of twisty/turn moves - agreed there is a high potential there for twisting of ankle or knees. And definitely agree on the time and practice - you need to get used to it and see what feels good to you. The sweet spot for the BOSU, I think, is more in the straightforward step moves - over the step, jumps on the step, lunges, jump pikes, etc. In terms of low impact, it is a lot of those jumping on the step moves it can help with. If you do decide to get one, I would suggest starting with Mindy's DVD and Rob Glick's Cardio Fusion. They both give good tips on where to land on the ball, exercises to train your brain to balance on the ball and have footwork drills on the ball. I think those are all important in that learning curve.
Old 04-30-20, 05:11 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Love my Bosu. I got it for Xmas. I'm short (5'0"), and I was adviced by VFers to get the sport trainer. It's perfect for stepping. However, being lower to the ground, it's super hard doing floor work. The sport trainer is about 7" from the ground.

To use it with step, you have to find a simpler workout. Not highly choreographed. Cathe Athletic Training is great! Any beginner step would fit the bill. If the choreography gets a little complicated, I would slow down and take my own time. I've used with Mossa Blast (they have 60 days free trial right now). I love Mindy's Intensity Overload with Toys... it uses gliding disks and bosu.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 05:41 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks so much! I've got lots of simple step (most of Gin Miller's, Kathy Smith step, one Gilad, some Jenny Ford, and that Cathe Athletic Training).

Cataddict, you are right I do want to use primarily for cardio. But I have a few Bosu dvds that I sub a high step for. It would be nice to see how they fare with a Bosu. I have a rebounder too, but the step workouts don't translate well to a rebounder.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 04-30-20, 08:15 PM  
Mickey12

You mentioned you should probably get new shoes. I would suggest that. My knees always start hurting when it’s time for new ones. I have been that was for years.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 06:16 PM  
bubbles76

Mickey my first purchase out of quarantine will probably be new sneakers .

But just in case it's more than sneakers I wanted alternatives for my step training. I'm just not ready to give it up yet.
Old 05-06-20, 08:22 PM  
carly

Yes, the Bosu will reduce impact. But it increases side-to-side (wobbly) movements that your foot, ankles and knees have to compensate for. If those muscles of the legs are not strong you would have to build up slowly to avoid possible injury...i.e. possibly more knee pain.

Start with lowering your step, eliminating twisty moves on the step and new shoes. If the pain is in the knee cap area, strengthening your quads and stretching you hamstrings will definitely help. With twisty moves try lifting your weight out of the foot as you turn.....more like a stepping motion to reduce twisting in the knee. Also, stick your hand up into your shoe and see what it feels like. If it feels warn and there are significant indents where you toes sit then you need new shoes. My shoes always wear out on the inside long before the outside shows wear.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bosu, bosu for step, bosu workouts